Kimo Hussey - Requesting your feedback

AndrewKuker

Reaction score
Kimo is such a genuine guy. Always been so helpful to me through the years. He did the monthly ukulele keaka for our music cafe, uke clinics at HMS, and has freely shared his wisdom with us. Such a blessing.
Today we talked about all kinds of ideas for videos and lessons, audio recordings with included tutorials, future clinic spots and more. In the end we figured it would be interesting to get some feedback from the uke community and go from there...

Mahalo for any ideas. I look forward to future endeavors that will give joy and musical inspiration to us all.

Great stuff... I'm not sure if this has been covered but how about

Jazz chords
Improvisation
Making instrumental arrangements out of chords/melodies?

I have no suggestions to offer other than to say I could watch Kimo talk/play all day. He's calmly mesmerizing and hypnotizing.
And watching this video just made me think he's the Bob Ross of the Ukulele.

That video was lovely. Kimo Hussey has such a warm persona. It comes through in his playing and in the way he talks.

I just started learning to play ukulele in January. One thing that holds me back from sharing ukulele with others is being intimidated because I am still such a beginner.

It reminds me of learning a language. Often, the people who are most successful aren't afraid to leap in and stumble through a phrase and maybe fill in with some hand gestures to get their point across. The point is - they just start talking - even if it's in a simplistic, childlike way. They keep going and are eventually able to carry on a great conversation. Maybe they are happy getting to that level and don't need to become fluent.

My favorite nights with my ukulele are when my boyfriend and I relax at home and pick a song and just play. It doesn't matter if we play a wrong chord now and then because we won't give each other a hard time (well, most of the time anyway :rolleyes: ). It is just for fun!

In ukulele, it's easy to get intimidated by the master players. Rather like how you might be afraid to parlez vous a little on a visit to Paris because you don't speak French fluently. You think to yourself, I will never sound like that, and get stuck. How do you get past that mindset in ukulele?

Maybe there's a way you guys can share the passion anyone can have for music even when they are still learning.

One idea would be to teach a single song in a few different ways. What if you guys made video lessons, with accompanying worksheets that people could try at home or share with their uke group? Maybe you include chords with a simple strumming pattern, a harder variation on the chords or more complex strumming, and then another version with picking. Basically teaching people to jam, but in a structured way. People could all play along at their own level and realize they are making real music together, no matter which level they are playing at. That's what makes you passionate!

This idea was inspired by my own experiences at a uke group, trying to learn on my own, and by a thread Freeda started here on UU.

You also mentioned your passion for video and photography. HMS always has the most beautiful videos. I'd love a tutorial on how you light, shoot, record the sound and put these videos together. Maybe you could even try to teach a way to do it using more inexpensive tools most of us have like a smartphone or a tablet.

Ok, enough rambling. :)

Last edited:
One idea would be to teach a single song in a few different ways. What if you guys made video lessons, with accompanying worksheets that people could try at home or share with their uke group? Maybe you include chords with a simple strumming pattern, a harder variation on the chords or more complex strumming, and then another version with picking. Basically teaching people to jam, but in a structured way. People could all play along at their own level and realize they are making real music together, no matter which level they are playing at. That's what makes you passionate!

I like this idea!

I'm going to agree with her agreeing with me! Haha!

In my searching I have run across a lot of people who are looking for the same thing, to add diversity and interest in a group setting of mixed skills. I think there's a market for it!

I want video lessons together with hard copy of materials and a step by step lessons. Each lessons should be 45 mins long and categorized according level. E.g. Beginners, intermediate and advance.

I love video tutorials of songs and stuff, but the thing about learning to play a certain song is that it doesn't necessarily impart to you a deeper understanding of playing the ukulele. I don't know about others, but I have no musical background and a very limited understanding of musical theory, and I find that this really impedes my progress of learning to play. Instead I think that most of the time I'm learning to merely imitate more skilled players on the vids that I watch.

At the same time, I love learning songs. I get bored easily learning techniques, but I tend to stick to songs. If you guys could blend technique and theory lessons into song lessons, I think that would be great.

Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced lessons are all over. But what I also find lacking are vids or online tutorials that tackle the in-between aspects of those plateaus; for a lot of my uke journey, the Beginner stuff would bore me but the Intermediate stuff would be beyond me. Lessons that help players transition from one plateau to another would definitely be awesome.

May I also ask, what uke is Kimo playing? Is that a redwood top? It sounds absolutely GORGEOUS.

May I also ask, what uke is Kimo playing? Is that a redwood top? It sounds absolutely GORGEOUS.

Kimo is playing Andrew's personal Ko'olau...Redwood top with super nice Milo B/S...
the Ko'olau has a warm deep tone with super nice highs too....I think Noa has changed his bracing a little bit lately...I love of the tone of this uke too! I ordered one for next year...

as far as Kimo and Andrew go....I will enjoy and learn from what ever they decide to do.....they both have a passion for the ukulele like many of us do....I can see them doing no wrong with any of the ideas/videos they do for the UU....

Last edited:
I'd love to hear how you set up your mics for the videos. You consistently get an amazing sound and I have to wonder if you're only using the one mic on the boom...

I thank you Kimo and Andrew for asking this question. My suggestion would be to help people play together. Personally I don't care what a persons playing level is. There is always a way to accompany other ukers. It would be nice if there were more tutorials that have 2 parts, or maybe even 3 and that could be watched in different playback speeds. Strumming part, picking the melody, adding percussion, playing inversions of chords, etc. More help on introductions for the songs. Having this all available with a pdf for practice would be supreme.

I personally am finding it hard to find others to play with. I belong to 2 uke groups and help run an after school uke club (which isn't going so well): I need individuals to play with in order to learn to really jam with someone. The only individuals I find that have the time are people online that you can play with time after time (on YT), but hey, that's just no fun!

Just had a thought. Everyone learns differently. I happen to pick things up quick by watching. I wish there were more videos of people playing a song slowly so I can follow along and then eventually speed it up.

Also seems to be the same old songs that are covered. All this jazz about infringement rights...who knows what is going to happen. If it's strictly an "educational tutorial" is it okay to post? Would be nice if people could suggest songs to teach that don't already have a million tutorials. Seems like a big project to me :) Kudos to you guys for wanting to do something. Thank you!!

Wow, there is some really great thoughts here. My head is spinning with ideas. The video was impromptu and I didn't feel that comfortable being talked about... really... because honestly my biggest job is to not to screw up, so that the performer or teacher can share their gift. But I want to get more involved and there are some ideas here I want to think about. Thanks so much each and every poster here, seriously!

NOTE:
This information can be useful to anyone that teaches ukulele. Maybe even Aldrine can get ideas, because he has a gift in teaching and their lesson format is the best. With that said, getting moved to this board is an insult. This is the title "Shameless self promotion. -The dump of shameless self promotion. Threads started by people only looking to promote themselves."
Getting put here, for this post?...Ok...But may I please request that you just remove the thread. I have nothing but love for your company and community and I never came here for selfish or greedy or egotistical reasons. Ever.

Wow, there is some really great thoughts here. My head is spinning with ideas. The video was impromptu and I didn't feel that comfortable being talked about... really... because honestly my biggest job is to not to screw up, so that the performer or teacher can share their gift. But I want to get more involved and there are some ideas here I want to think about. Thanks so much each and every poster here, seriously!

NOTE:
This information can be useful to anyone that teaches ukulele. Maybe even Aldrine can get ideas, because he has a gift in teaching and their lesson format is the best. With that said, getting moved to this board is an insult. This is the title "Shameless self promotion. -The dump of shameless self promotion. Threads started by people only looking to promote themselves."
Getting put here, for this post?...Ok...But may I please request that you just remove the thread. I have nothing but love for your company and community and I never came here for selfish or greedy or egotistical reasons. Ever.

I agree with you Andrew....the moderators took this thread the wrong way...but what can you do...all of us on the UU know you and what you represent....sorry this happened

Aloha Andrew...
Anyone who knows you personally knows that you are not into shameless promotion...you give so much to the ukulele community...sharing some of your insight should not be labeled as such..
It anyone starts a ukulele hall of Fame honorees.....you'd be right there next to Mike ......

I'm disappointed this got moved to this forum too. It definitely wasn't shameless self-promotion. I hope it at least gets moved to links and videos.

I'm not really getting a self-promotion vibe, either...

On the plus side, every time I hear one of these redwood/milo Ko'olau ukuleles, it moves higher on my list of gotta-haves. I'm thinking a CS is in my future.

getting moved to this board is an insult.
I too find this 'move" insulting and contrary to UU's Aloha spirit. There ARE posts that fit in this section of the forum but certainly not this one. Andrew Kitakis and Kimo Hussey are, IMHO, 2 of the reasons I support this forum. Their offer of sharing their time and energy for the advancement of the ukulele is magnanimous, not shameless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom