pocket uke tuning?

iamesperambient

Reaction score
It is just a whole note up to the standard GCEA tuning, G becomes A, C becomes D, E is becoming F# and A becomes B.
So all chords can be played with the same shapes, but have the same chord value as when you would play a uke with capo 2.
So a C chord would become the D chord and so on, not really an issue when you are the only one playing, you just have to sing a little higher ;).

Last edited:
I have no experience with the Kala Pocket uke but my Dolphin sure sounds better tuned up to "D" which, as I understand, is the traditional soprano tuning. I think it's easier to play with additional tension on the strings. That said, I don't think there is any reason you can't tune to "C".

It is just a whole note up to the standard GCEA tuning, G becomes A, C becomes D, E is becoming F# and A becomes B.
So all chords can be played with the same shapes, but have the same chord value as when you would play a uke with capo 2.
So a C chord would become the D chord and so on, not really an issue when you are the only one playing, you just have to sing a little higher ;).

oh yes i understand how it works. just wondering if its possible to tune up higher. I have a clip on tuner but it only does GCEA and i wouldn't be able to accurately tune it on the go in that tuning :/

oh yes i understand how it works. just wondering if its possible to tune up higher. I have a clip on tuner but it only does GCEA and i wouldn't be able to accurately tune it on the go in that tuning :/
Then using it in normal tuning is the only way (so tuning it lower is the only way), it will give less string tension, so it might feel loos. Don't you have a phone where you can install a chromatic tuner on?

Last edited:
Then using it in normal tuning is the only way (so tuning it lower is the only way), it will give less string tension, so it might feel loos. Don't you have a phone where you can install a chromatic tuner on?

I actually don't my phone is a 'dumb phone" i call it. All its capable of doing is making phone calls.
Actually i think my tuner may have a chromatic tuner on it, if not i suppose i could buy a new one
with one on it if all else fails.

Here are some tunings to try on very short ukes:
a D F# B ______D6 tuning - Traditional on sopranos in the early 1900's
bb Eb G C ______Eb6 - Higher still
c F A D ______F6

I have a uke with a 7.5" scale that is tuned Eb6 using conventional strings. It sounds best at this pitch.

Top Bottom