Iloud speaker- any body used?

Looking at their web site, it says a computer or smart device is required; iPhone, iPad, etc. As I understand the literature, it does not seem to be for a concert setup.

I have a Crate Limo 50w battery operated amp with simultaneous mic and instrument inputs, effects controls, headphone jack, deck input, for $350. It's big, and I actually replaced the battery with a longer lasting one, so it's heavy.

For a little bit more, go with a Roland AC-33 if you sometimes need the portability of battery operation:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-AC-33-Acoustic-Chorus-Combo-Amp-106065923-i1511017.gc

The AC-33 has separate microphone and instrument channels with their own volume and EQ, along with separate effects for each channel. The AC-33 has a third channel with a 1/8" stereo phone plug, that takes inputs from MP3 devices and smart phones. Add to that an active, switchable automatic anti-feedback circuit, to reduce and eliminate annoying howling and squealing. Another advantage of the AC-33 is that it uses 8 AA NiMH rechargeable batteries, so that you can always have backup power on hand. Roland claims 8 to 10 hours on a set of batteries, but I find that to be closer to 4 hours. No problem, just keep an extra set of charged batteries to change every 4 hours.

The Crate Limo kohanmike recommended is a work horse. I own a smaller version, the Crate Taxi TX15. It's heavy and the battery needs to be recharged overnight, before you can use it again. Same with my Carvin S400D:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/S400D

I bought the second battery for my S400D (I replace the batteries every two years, as their performance decreases with age) and it gets about 3 hours on a full charge.

Here's my ongoing review of my battery powered amplification:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?5333-Battery-powered-ukulele-amplification

Thank you, I have looked into your suggestions and they look great but maybe to good for my needs?
I don't think I would be playing for anybody so really just need a practice speaker. The one I asked About I could possibly justify the cost as it looks a gd blue tooth speaker for music but you can also plug a large jack straight into it and also a smart phone to have effects which I already play with. However I don't know how it would sound and have no local store.
BW Craig

Thank you, I have looked into your suggestions and they look great but maybe to good for my needs?

Your proposal is $300 for something no one (apparently) has heard of. The AC-33 is just $100 more and you get a real acoustic amp with proven performance and features. No contest in my book.

All this is is an interface to enable you to plug your guitar into an App like Garage Band on the iPhone - albeit it seems to have a speaker attached.

If you want an amp with lots of inbuilt effects (every bit the equal to the amount of effects in the iPhone version of GB) - then I'd suggest the Vox Mini 3.

If you want to use your iphone for making music, then just get a standard iRig interface and use a set of decent headphones to listen to what you're playing .......

Thank you for replies. It does sound like it's an untested piece of kit so I won't rush out and buy it.
I will look into the suggestions first.
BW Craig

You'd be a lot happier with one of these, Craig:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-AG30-30W-1x8-Acoustic-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104839055-i1425156.gc

Fast-Tone technology allows you to dial up great sound in an instant.

Acoustic

View all items from this brand
The Acoustic AG30 acoustic amp is perfect for performing singer/songwriters looking for an easy and excellent way to amplify their instrument and voice without having to cart around multiple pieces of gear.

The AG30 is designed to maximize projection, with its angled, floor-monitor-style cabinet. For warm, full frequency sound, the cabinet features an 8" studio monitor style speaker for strong mid and low-frequency response and a coaxial tweeter for ultra-clear, sparkling high end. Each of the two channels has a combination input that allows you to plug an instrument into the 1/4'" unbalanced plug or a microphone into the XLR balanced plug. The 3 band EQ with sweepable mid band provides satisfying control over your tone. Also included is a selectable effects section, with 16 high-quality digital effects, including reverbs, delays and choruses. A chart detailing each effect is located on top of your the amp, so you'll never lose it.

For quiet practice, use the 1/8" stereo headphone jack, and for pre-recorded accompaniment, the AG30 amp has an 1/8" stereo aux input. Plug in a CD or MP3 player and play along. Finally, a Line Out affords you the opportunity to send your signal to a PA, for amplification in larger spaces.

Acoustic AG30 30W 1x8 Acoustic Guitar Combo Amp Features:

16 high-quality digital effects,
Two channels - combination inputs accept 1/4'" or XLR cables
1/8" stereo headphone jack
1/8" stereo aux input
Line Out
Heavyweight cloth grill
Heavy-duty 8" coax studio monitor-style speaker
Angled monitor-style cabinet projects sound upward
Rugged and comfortable handle
Easy-to-read control panel
Protective, long-lasting covering

Acoustic AG30 30W 1x8 Acoustic Guitar Combo Amp Specifications:

Power: 30W RMS
Equalizer: Low - &plumn;15dB at 80Hz, Med - ± 15dB at 500Hz, High - ± 15dB at 10kHz
Channels: 2 — each with combo input jacks and volume controls
Speaker: 8" Coax Studio Monitor Style
Dimensions: 18.3" x 17" x 18.8"
Weight: 44 lbs.

DV016_Jpg_Large_500133.001_black_V.jpg

DV016_Jpg_Large_500133.001_black_front_angle.jpg

If you have an iphone/ipad then the griffin guitar cable allows you to plug you uke into the idevice and plug in a set of headphones. You can then use Gargae bank to record and multitrack.
Not an amp per se, but allows you to listen to what you're playing.
http://store.griffintechnology.com/guitar-connect-cable-for-ipad-1
The current version of this is all iphones/ipads. Costs less than £20
h

I have a Vox AC1. Smaller than a Microcube or a Mini 3 but about half the price. Does very nicely for playing at home. Standard Jack input plus 3.5mm input for iPod/mp3 player, built in Rhythms, though I don't use them, and a headphone socket.

I actually have the bass version so I can use it with my U-Bass but is fine with my Risa as well.

Great little amp.

Top Bottom