92nd Season of the Ukulele: Na-na-na-na-na-nonsense!

mattydee

Reaction score
Welcome, cats, and kittens, to the 92nd Season of the Ukulele!

This week's challenge is to sing a song that relies heavily on nonsense words in the lyric. Lots of possibilties here, from the varied exhortations of doo-wop to Van Morrison's simple repetitions of "La-la-la." Please note -- the sense of the lyric on the whole is irrelevant to the challenge. The words themselves are the important bit.

You get one official entry, and up to two others. The rest go to Misfit Island. I will take your last posted video as your official entry unless otherwise instructed. Bonus points go to those brave souls who go with lots of nonsense.

The nonsense should be a lyrical necessity, which is to say, scat is only good if the song depends on it; i.e.: Minnie the Moocher is good, but an added scat declension in All of Me is not. Also, I'm not looking for clever neologisms made to fit the rhyme scheme a la Cole Porter ("...Much Ado About Nussing"), or dialect/slang versions of real words (You Da One). I'm looking for Bomp Shoo Bomp Shoo Bops, and Nananananana-na Nananananana's. (And I'm really hoping for some hey nonny-nonnies from Tootler!)

Bonus points will be awarded for a high nonsense quotient and/or boldness in the execution of the nonsense. Also, I will be posting a song this week, but it won't happen till Sunday (as ever...). If you get to my song first, bonus to you as well.

Prizes are yet to be determined...

Fine Print:
Single continuous take
No Multi-tracking
Uke Front and Center
New for this season -- Please announce Season 92 or something similar.
Starts 12:00am Hawaiian Sunday Nov 17.
Ends 11:59pm Hawaiian Sunday Nov 24.

Playlist

Goo Goo G'Joob!

Last edited:
Oh, this is a challenge indeed.
Quick question for the sake of clarity. Do songs that make no sense like Yummy Yummy Yummy count? I am the Walrus...stuff like that, or are you strictly after complete gibberish?

Hummana Hummana, this is a great theme!!!
Love it.

reminds me of this vid. perhaps it will give some ideas to yall.
i already had me an idea (a favourite BAND, a favourite SONG... the very title of the season gives it away... but shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone what it is... :uhoh:)

but this vid was totally brilliant and hilarious!

thank you for posting it!

I usually sing gibberish lyrics anyway .........mainly 'cos I'm useless at remembering the proper ones !! Lol

Do Do Do Da Da Da
Originally by The Police.
And there's some gibberish in the lyrics that are supposed to make sense too. But my first take rule was applied.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_OzM2mE_uoreminds me of this vid. perhaps it will give some ideas to yall.

Brilliant video. Thanks for posting. I liked that they left the recorder running at the end.

Excellent theme, Matty. It'll be interesting to see what comes up.

This was a big hit in the Netherlands some time ago, the Radios where a group formed around Bart Peters, who is a Belgian tv show presenter and Danny Lademacher who was part of the band of Herman Brood. I think the other member are also quite known in the Belgian music scene, check out this playback video where the are play backing the string on total bogus instruments. Danny Lademacher is using a sitar with a bow, to my knowledge that could never sound like a violin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf5lak55xB8. This is my interpretation of she goes nanana by the Radios

Oh, this is a challenge indeed.
Quick question for the sake of clarity. Do songs that make no sense like Yummy Yummy Yummy count? I am the Walrus...stuff like that, or are you strictly after complete gibberish?

I am the Walrus contains plenty of gibberish so it's good. Yummy Yummy is tougher since 'Yummy' has come to mean something very specific. I'd shy away from that one or something like Boogie Shoes. If the nonsense has become slang for something specific where you can no longer use it abstractly, it'll likely not pass muster.

Gibberish is good though, so long as it is scripted.

Well I can't get my mouth around Bibbidy boboddy boo so that one's out. (for me at least) :-(

And we're off to a great start already!

Pabrizzer Do Do Do, Da Da Da: This is great, Brizz! Love the fingering in the choruses, and your baritone (voice, but uke too!) makes the song feel fresh. Thanks for starting us off in style, and with one of my favorite bands, too!

wee ginga yin Wee Cooper: Yes! Yes! Yes! This is some top shelf nonsense executed in perfect understated mischevous wee fashion. I always love how easy your strums feel, even when they are complex. Lovely.

xommen She Goes Na Na Na Na: This is nice, Wim. Great poprock strum, and I always love an a cappella verse.

Looking forward to what everyone comes up with!

Can we do a pastiche or parody as long as we keep the nonsense lyrics of the original song unchanged?

Cherry P

The Cloverdale Kid may know this one, reggae from the Ethiopians.
What do Jamaican birds sing?

Cherry P, Cherry P chim chim, blah blah blah, tra-la-la-la-la...

Posting this early in the season is definitely a record for me, but when I saw the theme I just had to post this song. One of my favorites to play on the uke.

Cucurrucucú paloma

This has the "cucurrucucu" part from the title, which may or may not qualify, since it mimics the sound of a dove, but there also several "ay ay ay ay ay"s, which I think should qualify.

Top Bottom