Do You Collect Vintage Ukulele Sheet Music?

Peterjens

Reaction score
Do You Collect Vintage (Ukulele) Sheet Music?

I find much of the cover artwork for sheet music of the 20's, 30's, and 40's music interesting - a fascinating visual history of music. Since taking up 'ukulele I find many covers stating "with a ukulele arrangement." (See attached) And one that I picked up today had instructions for playing a "symphonic ukulele" with a felt pick so it would sound similar to a pipe organ (!). (See attached)

My questions to any collectors in the forum are:
1) What are your focus points for what you collect?
2) Are there famous cover artists I should look for?
3) I notice many songs are arranged by May Singhi Breen. Should I collect any pieces arranged by her?

Thanks in advance for your help.

photo 4.JPGphoto 5.jpg

Last edited:
I don't collect them, but I have found a few I've liked enough to pick up. In an antique shop I stumbled across a small pile of sheet music from the 30's written specifically for the Ukulele. I thought it was cool to find "My little Grass Shack in Kealakekua", "Aloha Oe" and "I Found a Million Dollar Baby" in the stack. I like the artwork and intend to frame them for my music corner.

I thought it was cool to find "My little Grass Shack in Kealakekua", "Aloha Oe" and "I Found a Million Dollar Baby" in the stack. I like the artwork and intend to frame them for my music corner.

Finding hapa-haole covers would be a great score as well as any that included 'Ukulele Ike. I would frame them, too, as well as take a picture of them, reduce the size, print on adhesive stock and slap 'em on my 'uke case.

Top Bottom