Advice on a good sounding concert size for traveling and camping

jpcolorado

Reaction score
Hi All -

I am looking for suggestions on a good concert size to travel withy over the holidays as I do not want to travel with my Pono MT. I need something durable that won't get dinged easily and sounds good to play. I already have a Makala Shark and it's just too small for me.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Jeff

I have a Kala travel soprano which I took on a long hike and other trips. Sturdy and sounds surprisingly good, and I love the curve of the back.

I would suggest a concert neck Flea. I like the Kala Travel Concert as well... it is a bit smaller in size and has a better padded case, but it is a little more vulnerable to dings.

–Lori

concert flea is your ticket. a fluke may work as well but the body is larger.

Another plug for concert neck Flea. Mine's been to Australia and back. Sturdy. Sounds good enough if you swap Martin M600 strings for the Aquilas.

You didn't mention budget, but Blackbird Guitars is releasing a new carbon fiber concert uke this Tuesday. Unlike their tenor uke and guitar models, this one will have a more wood look with an ecologically friendly carbon (the call it ekoa). I'll be at the launch party and will try to post pics and sound bites.

I'm always happy to jump on the Flea bandwagon as well! My concert Flea is my main Uke and goes everywhere.

Scooter

+1 for Flea. Mine's a soprano but a concert neck would be good.

Certainly for jamming & travel they're great.

Welp, it's (nearly) unanimous: The answer to your question is a flea.

And another advantage...you can stand it up without a stand. (I think)

I'm thinking of swapping the Kala Lacewood Tenor for the Kala Concert Travel. After playing the Concert Travel a while the Tone and Volume isn't superior on the Tenor sized (albeit different woods too), and the Concert Travel really held it's own! I'm also thinking I prefer Concert size Ukes more, but I am probably being overly subjective to say I need one size over the other. I'm more concerned with getting a nice desired tone with a good feel, and the Travel doesn't lose much, if anything, while providing a bid more space for taking around. Hopefully the shop still has one in stock. If not, I just may downsize the Lacewood from the Tenor to the Concert size since they had one too.

Looking forward to hear what you settle on, Jeff. Keep us posted!

By the way, I'd thought I'd throw this out there too... Even the Martin S1 I own has more projected volume than Kala Tenor Lacewood I recently bought. Something about those Martins that have some real magic to them! Maybe I should get a spare and just use that for travel? Hmm..

By the way, I'd thought I'd throw this out there too... Even the Martin S1 I own has more projected volume than Kala Tenor Lacewood I recently bought. Something about those Martins that have some real magic to them! Maybe I should get a spare and just use that for travel? Hmm..

Have you tried the OXK?

Hey all -

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like the Flea is a clear winner for the durable travel uke. I will have to check one out at Denver Folklore. But I was thinking that my cheapo Makala Shark may do the trick for traveling and I should buy the Mainland Mango Concert for home. Damn UAS!!

Jeff

And another advantage...you can stand it up without a stand. (I think)
That's correct. The Flea has a flat bottom end and will stand on its own on every more or less even surface.

But beware: it feels a bit odd at first, you might want some kind of strap with it (uke leash or a magnetic one)

That's correct. The Flea has a flat bottom end and will stand on its own on every more or less even surface.

But beware: it feels a bit odd at first, you might want some kind of strap with it (uke leash or a magnetic one)

For a flea you can use something like a lanyard with that hook on the heel.

Top Bottom