Fighting a losing battle against UAS... RISA vs Teton?! @_@

ranilus

Reaction score
So I haven't bought another uke since labor day (a Koaloha soprano that is). Since then I have seen many enticing deals but have been able to keep my impulses under control.Recently, I bought $60 worth of DIFFERENT strings. I told myself I would try them all before even allowing myself to buy a new uke.

BUT ALAS, new strings =/= new uke!

So I have been eyeing this Teton solid body electric ukulele, but then also this RISA stick. Teton is concert sized, new; RISA is tenor, used, and an older model (with the old friction tuners instead of geared frictions). Both come with gigbag, and are priced the same.

Which one should I buy? And do I even need an electric uke? I can only see the cost go up from here - buying an amp, possibly a preamp, possible a system to record into garageband. (Zero previous experience with electric instruments or recording. Think of the fun and excitement!)

In other news... I have also been eyeing this tenor that HMS is selling, and this baritone on eBay. But I still have not owned a Mainland, Ohana, or Loprinzi yet! (Or a Bruko No.6, or Romero Creations Tiny Tenor, or even a Kamaka!)

And with the amount of money we are looking at, I could get a soprano Boat Paddle or one of the more affordable custom builders. Should I just do that and ignore these factory-made ones?

The holiday season is upon us and I would like to buy myself something nice (because no one else will :'( ). Decision, decisions, decisions....

So...thoughts? Anyone? Right now I have 4 sopranos (Pono MS, Kala lacewood, KPK, and Koaloha) and 1 Kala travel concert. Thanks in advance!

I think you should buy one of everything.

If it was a new Risa, it would be a tough call.

I have a Risa concert and even with the planetary tuners, tuning is trickier than a regular uke with standard friction tuners. There is often a bit of delay between turning the tuner and the string reacting so you have to go carefully. As it's an older Risa, I think the Teton would be a better bet.

As to UAS, I think it's probably incurable.

Got to play the teton. very nice. I had to ask the same question: Do I need an electric? The answer was NO.... so I rephrased it: Do I WANT an electric? THat answer was YES! (now it is on my list too!) :)

The Risa is the better instrument overall in my opinion.
They are designed and made in Germany. Despite its ridiculously simplistic appearance, it is a superb instrument. They have great tone and great feel.
They used great quality parts and is built to last a lifetime.

I have always found Risa's passive Shadow pickup system to be a lot more pleasant-sounding with plenty of midrange and sustain. I prefer them over the Eleuke/Teton's harsher/muddier sounding active pickup.
The quality control is also superior with Risa.

However, I did not like the old friction tuners on the Risas. They were good quality stuff (Grover friction tuners), but really annoying to tune up.

My recommendation is to save up a bit longer for a Risa with the geared tuners. It doesn't cost that much more, but will be worth it in the end.

Do you need an electric uke? If you feel that you do, then you do! No use resisting, they are LOADS of fun and have infinite possibilities.
Just get a nice amplifier depending on your budget and what kind of sound you want. Vox and Roland electric guitar amps are a popular choices.
Don't need a preamp unless you want a really authentic "acoustic" tone to play on stage... but there are plenty of uses for Effects pedals!

If you want to record, I suggest getting a microphone rather than direct-recording into computer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom