Loving My Electric Uke!

Canuke

Reaction score
I got a TOMO electric ukulele a while ago and it has become my uke of choice. In fact, I ended up losing a lot of ukes in a moving disaster and I was not as upset as I should have been. I find I am a '1 uke' man, anyway. But since my electric uke is steel strings, I feel oddly out-of-touch with my other uke brethren.
On the other hand, the quietness of my unplugged electric uke allowed me to play it in my hospital room that I shared with three other patients. I could not have done that with any other uke. A headphone amp and lightly brushing the strings let me rock on.
Are there any other ukers out there who play a steel-string electric uke? It is so much fun, especially as I never played an electric guitar before.

I don't have a steel string electric uke but, I do have an electric guitar. I've thought about getting an electric uke like the RISA or Tetan and I may still do that but, my guitar does what I want it to do. It's a lot of fun especially when you learn to use software to record. The effects provide a lot of fun and provide a great amount of variety!

A steelstring electric ukulele is a lot of fun, I really love to play it. Have a look at my Risa LP Tenor sunburst:
attachment.php

I enjoy "normal" ukuleles as well (never played the guitar...).
Rock the uke!

That risa is my dream rock uke! BTW Risa means laughter in Spanish. I bet you have a lot of fun with yours.

What does the TOMO look like. Oh and BTW I have a Baritone Uke strung with steel strings. You can hear it here:

I got a TOMO electric ukulele a while ago and it has become my uke of choice. In fact, I ended up losing a lot of ukes in a moving disaster and I was not as upset as I should have been. I find I am a '1 uke' man, anyway. But since my electric uke is steel strings, I feel oddly out-of-touch with my other uke brethren.
On the other hand, the quietness of my unplugged electric uke allowed me to play it in my hospital room that I shared with three other patients. I could not have done that with any other uke. A headphone amp and lightly brushing the strings let me rock on.
Are there any other ukers out there who play a steel-string electric uke? It is so much fun, especially as I never played an electric guitar before.

I starrted as a guitarist but i also play uke i switched over recently from electric guitar to electric uke and i love it. I play a konablaster (steel string electric baritone uke solid body).

I've been contemplating the idea of an electric, but then I saw this from a China supplier. I have an archtop guitar, so this would fit right in, but just coming from the UAS thread, I have to curtail my longing.

uke archtop style.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd like to have the one shown above. I have a Risa tenor "kidney bean" uke with twin lipstick pickups. When I want to sound like an electric guitar, I can.

I've been contemplating the idea of an electric, but then I saw this from a China supplier. I have an archtop guitar, so this would fit right in, but just coming from the UAS thread, I have to curtail my longing.

uke archtop style.jpg

I recommend the konablaster solid body steel string elderly caries.
Both soprano and baritone models avail. for one its cheaper than risa and its american made. Much better quality you will find than that chinese crap. Really unique sounding and looking in my opinion.

Don't forget MonkeyWrench! Made by one guy and truly awesome

http://monkeywrenchmusic.com/

totally agreed. I think his electric ukes look/sound top notch
although their hardly affordable to the working poor like myself.
I think the blue star is the best affordable option (and it even took me 2 months of
saving to get it) but if your a baller than id say go with the monkey wrench ukes over
risa they have a much more unique custom quality to them especially their baritones.

I just emailed Mim to arrange for a Teton really soon. Cannot contain the excitement
Looking forward to the electric pootsie experience! grooovy man

I recommend the konablaster solid body steel string elderly caries.
Both soprano and baritone models avail. for one its cheaper than risa and its american made. Much better quality you will find than that chinese crap. Really unique sounding and looking in my opinion.

Is your statement of the above electric uke from china based on actual experience at all?

Is your statement of the above electric uke from china based on actual experience at all?

My statement is based on the fact that I own a konablaster which is great quality and made by a small company in the USA vs a mass produced instrument made in a factory in china. I think you can read between the lines there.

My statement is based on the fact that I own a konablaster which is great quality and made by a small company in the USA vs a mass produced instrument made in a factory in china. I think you can read between the lines there.

I do own one of these Kamoa evolve ukes (yes they are made by a chinese company) and I think its a very well made instrument and far removed from being crap -

Please remember the UU rules, be nice, don't incite by making rash statements. Pretty much all my ukes are made in China, all from the mainstream companies, and certainly none is crap. China makes some pretty good stuff. The Uku Hanknn I just bought directly from China has more presence and projection than any of my others. The archtop I posted above is $400 for one, or $165 each for an order of 20.

Last edited:
Please remember the UU rules, be nice, don't incite by making rash statements. Pretty much all my ukes are made in China, all from the mainstream companies, and certainly none is crap. China makes some pretty good stuff. The Uku Hanknn I just bought directly from China has more presence and projection than any of my others. The archtop I posted above is $400 for one, or $165 each for an order of 20.

I wasn't trying to make a rash statement at all. Sorry if it came out that way. But i think theres a huge difference between blue star/monkey wrench , jupiter creek (rip) etc vs factory made instruments. All my other ukes are factory made instruments and the quality lets face it isn't as good. I like my les paul uke, but the nut looks like a 4 year old kid hacked away at it and installed it them self. All of these sound great for what they are and look decent for what they are, but vs the handmade ukes i think there is a different sense of love and care put into them vs something made in a mass produced factory. Just my opinion and I'm happy to own a uke that is made with that love and care by one person vs a factory. (if i had more money i would own all hand made ukes).

(if i had more money i would own all hand made ukes).

I believe I've heard that sentiment repeated a few times on this forum ;)

those Monkey Wrench ukes sure are pretty! But I would have to have a whole lot of dough to blow to justify someone of my (very low) level of playing spending boocoo bux

Note that Warren Buffett, a man of boocoo bux and limited uke talent, has appeared in public with low-budget axes:
131022221743-warren-buffet-ukulele-2-story-tablet.jpg

Although it seems he has appeared with a Kamaka, too:
Screen_shot_2010-09-30_at_2.40.13_PM.png

Like me, he has the first-position C chord nailed down tight!

Top Bottom