PDA

View Full Version : Loving My Electric Uke!

Canuke
11-18-2013, 05:07 AM
I got a TOMO electric ukulele a while ago and it has become my uke of choice. In fact, I ended up losing a lot of ukes in a moving disaster and I was not as upset as I should have been. I find I am a '1 uke' man, anyway. But since my electric uke is steel strings, I feel oddly out-of-touch with my other uke brethren.
On the other hand, the quietness of my unplugged electric uke allowed me to play it in my hospital room that I shared with three other patients. I could not have done that with any other uke. A headphone amp and lightly brushing the strings let me rock on.
Are there any other ukers out there who play a steel-string electric uke? It is so much fun, especially as I never played an electric guitar before.

Garydavkra
11-18-2013, 08:00 AM
I don't have a steel string electric uke but, I do have an electric guitar. I've thought about getting an electric uke like the RISA or Tetan and I may still do that but, my guitar does what I want it to do. It's a lot of fun especially when you learn to use software to record. The effects provide a lot of fun and provide a great amount of variety!

Tube
11-18-2013, 08:41 AM
A steelstring electric ukulele is a lot of fun, I really love to play it. Have a look at my Risa LP Tenor sunburst:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60002&d=1382183560
I enjoy "normal" ukuleles as well (never played the guitar...).
Rock the uke!

Barbablanca
11-18-2013, 09:25 AM
That risa is my dream rock uke! BTW Risa means laughter in Spanish. I bet you have a lot of fun with yours.

What does the TOMO look like. Oh and BTW I have a Baritone Uke strung with steel strings. You can hear it here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jXBjUsFoyg):

ChaosToo
11-18-2013, 09:34 AM
My Epiphone is a lot of fun, but I REALLY want to add one of those Risa LP's to my collection - that and a Koaloha concert and I'd be a happy man! :D

iamesperambient
11-18-2013, 10:07 AM
I got a TOMO electric ukulele a while ago and it has become my uke of choice. In fact, I ended up losing a lot of ukes in a moving disaster and I was not as upset as I should have been. I find I am a '1 uke' man, anyway. But since my electric uke is steel strings, I feel oddly out-of-touch with my other uke brethren.
On the other hand, the quietness of my unplugged electric uke allowed me to play it in my hospital room that I shared with three other patients. I could not have done that with any other uke. A headphone amp and lightly brushing the strings let me rock on.
Are there any other ukers out there who play a steel-string electric uke? It is so much fun, especially as I never played an electric guitar before.

I starrted as a guitarist but i also play uke i switched over recently from electric guitar to electric uke and i love it. I play a konablaster (steel string electric baritone uke solid body).

kohanmike
11-18-2013, 11:28 AM
I've been contemplating the idea of an electric, but then I saw this from a China supplier. I have an archtop guitar, so this would fit right in, but just coming from the UAS thread, I have to curtail my longing.

http://www.kohanmike.com/images/uke archtop style.jpg

PhilUSAFRet
11-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I'd like to have the one shown above. I have a Risa tenor "kidney bean" uke with twin lipstick pickups. When I want to sound like an electric guitar, I can.

iamesperambient
11-18-2013, 03:06 PM
I've been contemplating the idea of an electric, but then I saw this from a China supplier. I have an archtop guitar, so this would fit right in, but just coming from the UAS thread, I have to curtail my longing.

http://www.kohanmike.com/images/uke archtop style.jpg

I recommend the konablaster solid body steel string elderly caries.
Both soprano and baritone models avail. for one its cheaper than risa and its american made. Much better quality you will find than that chinese crap. Really unique sounding and looking in my opinion.

iDavid
11-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Don't forget MonkeyWrench! Made by one guy and truly awesome

http://monkeywrenchmusic.com/

iamesperambient
11-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Don't forget MonkeyWrench! Made by one guy and truly awesome

http://monkeywrenchmusic.com/

totally agreed. I think his electric ukes look/sound top notch
although their hardly affordable to the working poor like myself.
I think the blue star is the best affordable option (and it even took me 2 months of
saving to get it) but if your a baller than id say go with the monkey wrench ukes over
risa they have a much more unique custom quality to them especially their baritones.

pootsie
11-18-2013, 04:53 PM
I just emailed Mim to arrange for a Teton really soon. Cannot contain the excitement
Looking forward to the electric pootsie experience! grooovy man

chefy
11-18-2013, 07:01 PM
I recommend the konablaster solid body steel string elderly caries.
Both soprano and baritone models avail. for one its cheaper than risa and its american made. Much better quality you will find than that chinese crap. Really unique sounding and looking in my opinion.

Is your statement of the above electric uke from china based on actual experience at all?

iamesperambient
11-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Is your statement of the above electric uke from china based on actual experience at all?

My statement is based on the fact that I own a konablaster which is great quality and made by a small company in the USA vs a mass produced instrument made in a factory in china. I think you can read between the lines there.

chefy
11-18-2013, 07:45 PM
My statement is based on the fact that I own a konablaster which is great quality and made by a small company in the USA vs a mass produced instrument made in a factory in china. I think you can read between the lines there.

I do own one of these Kamoa evolve ukes (yes they are made by a chinese company) and I think its a very well made instrument and far removed from being crap -

kohanmike
11-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Please remember the UU rules, be nice, don't incite by making rash statements. Pretty much all my ukes are made in China, all from the mainstream companies, and certainly none is crap. China makes some pretty good stuff. The Uku Hanknn I just bought directly from China has more presence and projection than any of my others. The archtop I posted above is $400 for one, or $165 each for an order of 20.

iamesperambient
11-19-2013, 04:57 AM
Please remember the UU rules, be nice, don't incite by making rash statements. Pretty much all my ukes are made in China, all from the mainstream companies, and certainly none is crap. China makes some pretty good stuff. The Uku Hanknn I just bought directly from China has more presence and projection than any of my others. The archtop I posted above is $400 for one, or $165 each for an order of 20.

I wasn't trying to make a rash statement at all. Sorry if it came out that way. But i think theres a huge difference between blue star/monkey wrench , jupiter creek (rip) etc vs factory made instruments. All my other ukes are factory made instruments and the quality lets face it isn't as good. I like my les paul uke, but the nut looks like a 4 year old kid hacked away at it and installed it them self. All of these sound great for what they are and look decent for what they are, but vs the handmade ukes i think there is a different sense of love and care put into them vs something made in a mass produced factory. Just my opinion and I'm happy to own a uke that is made with that love and care by one person vs a factory. (if i had more money i would own all hand made ukes).

pootsie
11-19-2013, 06:29 AM
(if i had more money i would own all hand made ukes).

I believe I've heard that sentiment repeated a few times on this forum ;)

those Monkey Wrench ukes sure are pretty! But I would have to have a whole lot of dough to blow to justify someone of my (very low) level of playing spending boocoo bux

Note that Warren Buffett, a man of boocoo bux and limited uke talent, has appeared in public with low-budget axes:
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/131022221743-warren-buffet-ukulele-2-story-tablet.jpg

Although it seems he has appeared with a Kamaka, too:
http://www.shenzhenparty.com/files/imagecache/blog_image/content/Screen_shot_2010-09-30_at_2.40.13_PM.png

Like me, he has the first-position C chord nailed down tight!

Tube
11-19-2013, 09:45 AM
@ Barbablanca
Risa = laughter, que bonito!
Pero el fundador de la empresa se llama RIgk SAuer.

Barbablanca
11-19-2013, 10:18 AM
@ Barbablanca
Risa = laughter, que bonito!
Pero el fundador de la empresa se llama RIgk SAuer.

Another theory shot down in flames ;)

iamesperambient
11-19-2013, 07:46 PM
Another theory shot down in flames ;)

I need a translator for this one...and a mind that understands the concept of inside jokes.

Tootler
11-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Risa[/I] means laughter in Spanish.

That sums up my Risa for me. I have a ball plugging it it in with effects pedals and playing vintage rock n roll.

I have a Risa stick but their LP model looks the part and is steel strung. They are quality instruments. Well made with spot on set up.

redpaul1
11-20-2013, 12:30 AM
Those East Start jazz ukes (http://www.east-start.com/products/electric-or-jazz-ukulele/) look fantastic, and East Start gets a good write-up, by a respected blogger here (http://database.ukulelecorner.org.uk/multi/xx-chinese-brands-with-limited-distribution/cbld-2). While I'm guessing tenor, I do wish they would say what sizes they all are. And how much they cost. 'Add to basket' only adds them to an enquiry form, and right now I'm only window shopping :)

I am, however, particularly confused by this one:
http://www.east-start.com/Uploads/070cad371531c0a298c56816c016989c-middle.jpg

6 strings, you'll notice, but no double-coursing. Wonder how it's tuned?

p.s., they all come fitted with Aquilas, so no steel stringing here.

Tootler
11-20-2013, 02:28 AM
Yes, Risa are German and German made and are of high quality.

Another quality German brand is Bruko and I have two of theirs as well.

ChaosToo
11-20-2013, 03:15 AM
I have contacted 'Tomo' about their ukes and have had a reply that puts their prices at about half of the money I'd need to spend on a Risa (it would be my first choice if I had the cash!) - so can the OP tell me what he thinks of his - or can anyone who's actually played one of these Tomo ukes give some constructive info about them?

Ta

:D

iamesperambient
11-20-2013, 07:23 AM
I am not if you realise that Risa is a German company, not a Chinese company. I don't think the Risa ukes are made in China, I think they are made in Germany.
https://www.ukulele.de. This is a link to the Risa website

I'm not talking about risa i know their basically the gibson les paul of ukuleles and german made and are beyond high quality id have one if it was with in my means price range but its not. I was referring to the other ukes people have shown. I'm sure their decent like an eleuke but i was saying konablaster is a perfect option for someone looking for an affordable solid body steel stringed uke that sounds/looks good and is made with quality that won't break your pocket to much like the risa's do.

Barbablanca
11-20-2013, 11:25 AM
I need a translator for this one...and a mind that understands the concept of inside jokes.

Luckily, I am a translator! However, there is no "inside joke" present sir. I noted that RISA means laughter in Spanish and in reply TUBE commented that the name of the company comes from the first two initials of the owner's name and surname RIck SAuger. So my theory that the owner might have known a bit of Spanish and thought it would be a fun name for a fun instrument proved unfounded. It was therefore shot down in flames (like an enemy aircraft). Hope that cleared that up.

Canuke
11-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Here is my beloved uke!

chefy
11-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Those East Start jazz ukes (http://www.east-start.com/products/electric-or-jazz-ukulele/) look fantastic, and East Start gets a good write-up, by a respected blogger here (http://database.ukulelecorner.org.uk/multi/xx-chinese-brands-with-limited-distribution/cbld-2). While I'm guessing tenor, I do wish they would say what sizes they all are. And how much they cost. 'Add to basket' only adds them to an enquiry form, and right now I'm only window shopping :)

I am, however, particularly confused by this one:
http://www.east-start.com/Uploads/070cad371531c0a298c56816c016989c-middle.jpg

6 strings, you'll notice, but no double-coursing. Wonder how it's tuned?

p.s., they all come fitted with Aquilas, so no steel stringing here.

Looks like a E-guitarlele - they all come with steel strings, with nylons the pick ups become useless.

kohanmike
11-20-2013, 07:36 PM
I think redpaul1 missed my followup post that the four string one I posted is $400 US, and if I buy 20, they are $165 each (are there 20 of us that want one). I can't tell you how tempted I am to get one, but like I said, my shelf is full of the six I bought in the last 5 months. I guess I could sell one of them... damn, what am I doing to myself?

Model No. -- ESU-J58E2 RD
Neck: Solid European Flamed Maple w/ Ebony Dabber
Soundboard: Solid European Flamed Maple
Back/Side: Solid European Flamed Maple
Fingerboard & Bridge: Indian Rosewood w/ Real Abalone Inlays
Pickups: H-H
Control: 2Vol & 2Tone
Strings: Steel
Nut & Saddle: OX Bone
Binding: Real Abalone
Finished: High Gloss

http://www.kohanmike.com/images/archtop dual.jpg

iamesperambient
11-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Mahalo make a cool looking electric uke. I am not sure how it sounds.
Risa ukes are not expensive. At present the most expensive ukes cost around $2500 -$3000. Risa ukes would be in the low end of the mid range of the market.

The mahalo steel string sound crappy i think the string tension sounds way to floppy and loose. I still consider 800 to be a lot more expensive vs the konablaster at 300
so for people who have less money like myself 800 is quiet a bit of money.

iamesperambient
11-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Luckily, I am a translator! However, there is no "inside joke" present sir. I noted that RISA means laughter in Spanish and in reply TUBE commented that the name of the company comes from the first two initials of the owner's name and surname RIck SAuger. So my theory that the owner might have known a bit of Spanish and thought it would be a fun name for a fun instrument proved unfounded. It was therefore shot down in flames (like an enemy aircraft). Hope that cleared that up.
that makes much more sense. and that is actually pretty clever.

redpaul1
11-20-2013, 10:36 PM
I think redpaul1 missed my followup post that the four string one I posted is $400 US, and if I buy 20, they are $165 each (are there 20 of us that want one). I can't tell you how tempted I am to get one, but like I said, my shelf is full of the six I bought in the last 5 months. I guess I could sell one of them... damn, what am I doing to myself?

Strings: Genuine Aquila

Yes I did (miss your post). Glad to see, however, that your specs confirm what I previously posted, namely, that they're fitted with Aquila strings.
Did you contact them directly? Or did you get those figures Alibaba.com (www.alibaba.com)? At $165, I'd definitely be tempted (tempted, I said!), but I live in the UK, so you'd need to add another $100 to the price (C.I.F & customs) to get one to me from you.

cigarfan
11-21-2013, 01:11 AM

At $165 you can count me in!

singsong
11-21-2013, 03:53 AM
I bought a used Risa concert travel uke and removed the steel strings and strung it with Worth light brown Baritone strings; it works great. I mated it with a Vox Night Train preamp for headset and now I can play to my hearts content without disrupting family activities.

kohanmike
11-21-2013, 05:12 AM
I contact East Start directly. As I think about it, to group an order of 20 together, they would have to be the same model, and shipped to the same address. With that many at one time, I'm sure US customs would flag them for import duty.

Here are more details I just received, looks like it's just short of full tenor at 405mm (16 in.) scale (nut to saddle/bridge) and slightly wider and longer than some:

total length............................690mm (27.2)
body length............................300mm (11.8)
nut width...............................35mm (1.4)
depth....................................40mm (1.6)
upper width............................180mm (7.1)
lower width.............................240mm (9.45)
scale length............................405mm (16)

ChaosToo
11-21-2013, 05:12 AM
Yes I did (miss your post). Glad to see, however, that your specs confirm what I previously posted, namely, that they're fitted with Aquila strings.
Did you contact them directly? Or did you get those figures Alibaba.com (www.alibaba.com)? At $165, I'd definitely be tempted (tempted, I said!), but I live in the UK, so you'd need to add another $100 to the price (C.I.F & customs) to get one to me from you.

Like Paul says, depending on how much the shipping to UK costs, I'd be tempted too ......

kohanmike
11-21-2013, 05:13 AM
See my update.

chefy
11-22-2013, 05:17 PM
I don't know why the east start crowd writes aquila strings on the description - aquila doesn't make steel strings and all these pictured ukes would not work at all with nylon strings - any ideas, anyone?

kohanmike
11-22-2013, 09:26 PM
I just emailed East-Start and asked about the pickups, but did you miss Singsong's post, he said, "I bought a used Risa concert travel uke and removed the steel strings and strung it with Worth light brown Baritone strings; it works great. I mated it with a Vox Night Train preamp for headset and now I can play to my hearts content without disrupting family activities."

As I look closely at the pickups, they don't look like the normal ones I've seen, they don't have any metal showing through. Maybe these are made to be used with nylon strings.

http://www.kohanmike.com/images/pickups.jpg

kissing
11-23-2013, 12:04 AM
I just emailed East-Start and asked about the pickups, but did you miss Singsong's post, he said, "I bought a used Risa concert travel uke and removed the steel strings and strung it with Worth light brown Baritone strings; it works great. I mated it with a Vox Night Train preamp for headset and now I can play to my hearts content without disrupting family activities."

As I look closely at the pickups, they don't look like the normal ones I've seen, they don't have any metal showing through. Maybe these are made to be used with nylon strings.

http://www.kohanmike.com/images/pickups.jpg

Based on that picture alone, definitely metal strings.
The magnetic pickups sometimes have a cover over it, which is why they just look like black blocks. Underneath the cover are the metal poles.
Covered pickups are extremely common in electric guitars.
Furthermore, there is also a pickup selector switch, which is only possible if those pickups are magnetic pickups...

I am 100% sure that putting nylon strings on these would be an epic fail.

kissing
11-23-2013, 12:05 AM
I don't know why the east start crowd writes aquila strings on the description - aquila doesn't make steel strings and all these pictured ukes would not work at all with nylon strings - any ideas, anyone?

I agree with you.
These are definitely steel-string ukuleles.

The "Aquila" strings in the description is most likely a mistake.

kissing
11-23-2013, 12:07 AM
I bought a used Risa concert travel uke and removed the steel strings and strung it with Worth light brown Baritone strings; it works great. I mated it with a Vox Night Train preamp for headset and now I can play to my hearts content without disrupting family activities.

Your Risa travel uke (assuming it's a Uke-solid "stick") should never have had steel strings.
It is and always has been a nylon string electric.

kissing
11-23-2013, 12:09 AM

The website listing the strings as "Aquila" is most likely an error.
Probably just a bad copy+paste job from another ukulele's details.

The way the strings are setup with that style of bridge, the pickups on the body, the pickup selector switch and 4 tone knobs (2 for each pickup) all indicate that this is a steel string instrument.

Unless of course it's a complete farcical instrument with nylon strings, and all the other parts are "just for show" and do not actually function.

bigphil
11-23-2013, 02:21 AM
I contact East Start directly. As I think about it, to group an order of 20 together, they would have to be the same model, and shipped to the same address. With that many at one time, I'm sure US customs would flag them for import duty.

Here are more details I just received, looks like it's just short of full tenor at 405mm (16 in.) scale (nut to saddle/bridge) and slightly wider and longer than some:

total length............................690mm (27.2)
body length............................300mm (11.8)
nut width...............................35mm (1.4)
depth....................................40mm (1.6)
upper width............................180mm (7.1)
lower width.............................240mm (9.45)
scale length............................405mm (16)

If there is an order for 20 being put together, I'd be interested in one of these! Another post says they all haveto be the same model, does that mean all the same color too? Not fussy, just curious.

greenie44
11-23-2013, 04:41 AM
I looked at these also, and I would be interested in going in at $165. I know I asked them about shipping for an order of just a couple, and it was about $160, so let us know if that is included in the price also. I did try and order a uke from another Chinese factory, and it was a pain - I finally gave up on trying to get them money - but hopefully your experience will be smoother.

kohanmike
11-23-2013, 06:05 AM
I just received an answer from East-Start, Simon said: "Yes it with pickups and steel string!" So there's there it is. Good eyes guys, I thought the photo did look like nylon strings. The price I quoted does not include shipping. So far there are 4-5 people. I just emailed Simon for shipping and model info.

When I oder from China, I use AliExpress.com, it's the Amazon of China. Never had a problem using my Visa debit card paying for or receiving any of the ten items I ordered from there, including a ukulele just last week for $148 US plus $39.36 shipping. (Although some companies take much longer to ship than others. I've waited for a preamp about 25 days.)

http://www.kohanmike.com/images/u6Hanknn 2 hole side brn.jpg

bigphil
11-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Not to change the subject but how do you like that Uku in the photo, looks neat!

Tootler
11-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Those from the UK should maybe think carefully as it looks likely you'll get stung for two lots of customs duty so they may not look such a good buy, after all.

ChaosToo
11-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Those from the UK should maybe think carefully as it looks likely you'll get stung for two lots of customs duty so they may not look such a good buy, after all.

With the cost being less than $200, with shipping from the US for $40 the import duty would only be an extra 24.65 - if shipping costs $50, then the duties are an extra 26.50

Count me in guys ....... :D

kohanmike
11-23-2013, 01:40 PM
The 2 hole Uku has lots of presence and projection. It's very light weight, not as deep and the heel of the neck is not as robust as my other ukes, but it does sound good. The color is also a little darker than the photo, the grain is not as prominent. The distributor is Hanknn on AliExpress. I put a polished finish on it, and just added a preamp/tuner I bought from AliExpress for $25 US.

Followup email from East-Start about the electric archtop strings, "I am sorry, our web master write error for the string, indeed it is steel string, not nylon Aquila."

Here is the reply I also received from East-Start when I asked about models and shipping address: "We can make different model as 20pcs, and can ship to different address based on customer's requirement, usually 20 pcs freight around as $350 USD." So breaking it down, the shipping cost for each ukulele will be $17.50 US, total price each is $182.50. This is sounding better and better.

I'll ask them about where the addresses have to be, US or international: "Do all the addresses have to be the USA, can they be Canada or England? How would payment have to be made, one lump sum, or from each of the 20 customers individually? Also, I'm glad you cleared up the confusion about the strings."

So far these people are on board (correct me if I'm wrong):
kohanmike - US
cigarfan - US
ChaosToo - UK
bigphil - US
greenie44 - US

bigphil
11-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Yep, I'm definitely in at that price. Thank for doing all the leg work on this Mike! Now we just need 15 more customers. Would it possibly help to post something in the Market Place about this?

kohanmike
11-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Yes, I'll see about doing that. I'll also post another listing here.

Tootler
11-23-2013, 08:35 PM
With the cost being less than $200, with shipping from the US for $40 the import duty would only be an extra 24.65 - if shipping costs $50, then the duties are an extra 26.50

Count me in guys ....... :D

Don't forget to allow for vat - it seems that's added as well as import duty - as well as the courier's handling charge. I had to pay a total of 37 recently on a $100 item sent to me from the USA. That included duty, vat & courier's handling charge. So, if I were you, I would allow somewhat more than you are currently budgeting for to get it into the country. Even so it does look a good buy.

OTOH shipping direct to UK will save having US customs duty added and you will get it sooner.

chefy
11-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Who is going to package and post these ukes to all the individual members? and what are the costs involved? to me it looks like quite a job for one person to redistribute those ukes - I thought one uke could be included in the cost of the other nineteen and the person doing all the work could get one free in exchange?

bigphil
11-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Here is the reply I also received from East-Start when I asked about models and shipping address: "We can make different model as 20pcs, and can ship to different address based on customer's requirement, usually 20 pcs freight around as $350 USD." So breaking it down, the shipping cost for each ukulele will be $17.50 US, total price each is $182.50. This is sounding better and better.

I'll ask them about where the addresses have to be, US or international: "Do all the addresses have to be the USA, can they be Canada or England? How would payment have to be made, one lump sum, or from each of the 20 customers individually? Also, I'm glad you cleared up the confusion about the strings."

They will ship directly to individual customers. So no huge burden on anyone :)

chefy
11-24-2013, 01:49 PM
They will ship directly to individual customers. So no huge burden on anyone :)

Thats awesome! I missed that post completely. Thank you!

cb56
11-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Has anyone played one of these and are they any good?
I'd love to have a steel string electric uke.

kohanmike
11-24-2013, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the quote reply Phil. If they would only send them to one address, I'd be the middleman, I'm good at logistics, I do business database design. I don't want any compensation, I'm very happy to get the uke at that price along with everyone else.

kohanmike
11-24-2013, 07:06 PM
Update info: I just received a reply from East-Start. They will do a deal for 10 ukes for $180 each, plus $18 shipping if they go to one address. If they go to different addresses, the shipping would be much more, they said up $80 each. I guess $260 for that uke is still a good price, considering they quoted me $400 for a single order, plus shipping.

So far there are 5 people interested, but replies have stopped. I left a message for UU last night asking if and where I can make an official post of this deal on the forum, have not heard back yet.

cigarfan
11-25-2013, 03:36 AM
Update info: I just received a reply from East-Start. They will do a deal for 10 ukes for $180 each, plus $18 shipping if they go to one address. If they go to different addresses, the shipping would be much more, they said up $80 each. I guess $260 for that uke is still a good price, considering they quoted me $400 for a single order, plus shipping.

So far there are 5 people interested, but replies have stopped. I left a message for UU last night asking if and where I can make an official post of this deal on the forum, have not heard back yet.

Definitely let us know when you do!

Barbablanca
11-25-2013, 06:21 AM
What deal would they offer if you order 20 and send all the US ones to one address, but the others to various?

Mind you, it's a great pity no one has got near one to actually try it out. I'd be in, but I'm a little worried that we might end up with 20 disappointed people, instead of just one.

kohanmike
11-25-2013, 06:54 AM
I got the OK to post this deal on a new post.

Barbablanca, so far all the items I've ordered from China have had no problems, including a tenor cutaway 2 hole uke, in fact, it sounds better than some of my other ukes. I'm willing to take a chance, and I have to say, the archtop looks very good in the photos.

chefy
11-25-2013, 06:03 PM
What deal would they offer if you order 20 and send all the US ones to one address, but the others to various?

Mind you, it's a great pity no one has got near one to actually try it out. I'd be in, but I'm a little worried that we might end up with 20 disappointed people, instead of just one.

Plenty of people have - its the same as a kamoa evolve - its the chinese factory that made them for kamoa - I got one and its awesome!

iamesperambient
11-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Plenty of people have - its the same as a kamoa evolve - its the chinese factory that made them for kamoa - I got one and its awesome!

so its basically the same how kala and lanikai are almost the same thing being their made in the same exact factory?
if its something along those lines with kamoa i'm sure its decent.

pootsie
11-26-2013, 05:36 AM

Chefy: Just to be clear, did you get a Kamoa-branded one or did you get the East-Start branded one? Sometimes a factory is less careful with off-brand and sometimes not.

chefy
11-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Chefy: Just to be clear, did you get a Kamoa-branded one or did you get the East-Start branded one? Sometimes a factory is less careful with off-brand and sometimes not.

unbranded.

pootsie
11-26-2013, 06:16 PM
Good to hear! Cuz I just committed to one a short time ago, teehee

Sea-foam green

fromthee2me
11-26-2013, 08:19 PM
@barbablanca: tnk u for the clip, and I am surprised (1) that the bridge holds or did you re-inforce it?(2) it sounds a bit like a mandolin (3) that people want to make music on a uke to make it sound like a guitar ( I am not saying you can't, as I find myself doing similar things) It seems very ingrained. . . . . and I am not sure what brings it about ?

singsong
11-27-2013, 01:33 PM
I have a Risa concert. I removed the steel strings and put Worth light brown baritone strings on it; it works great.