K & K Pure Preamp or Pure with XLR?

westcoast

Reaction score
If you have the K & K Aloha Twin, do you use it by itself? Do you have the preamp? Would you use the Aloha Twin with the Pure Preamp or the Pure with XLR?

I was trying to decide if the XLR made a difference or not.

Last edited:
It all depends on how you're planning on using it.

Are you going to run the preamp directly into the house system? Get the Pure with XLR.

Are you planning on using the preamp between the uke and an amp, and then letting the soundman run a mic or a DI from the amp? Get the Pure Preamp.

Personally, I'd get the XLR to allow more options for when you're performing/recording.

I mostly plan to go to open mics; in the past when I've gone with a guitar, I've always had a piezo pickup, so I've never brought along an external preamp. I assume that in this case, I'd have to bring the Pure XLR and an extra cable, so I plug into the Pure XLR with my extra cable, and then plug the cable they always give you into the Pure XLR? Or maybe I just hand off the Pure XLR to them, and they deal with it?

I have a Twin Spot in several different ukes and have always been able to plug into a DI or direct to the board and it sounds great.

Mitch

I have a K&K Sound Meridian Pro Microphone with a Meridian Pro preamp. This preamp has an XLR out, and it looks exactly the same as the Pure XLR with a different label on it. Anyway my xlr preamp is noisy on the xlr output and is much quieter using the 1/4 out. This could have been a fault and I should have returned it for repair although it could also have been a fault of the desk I was connecting it too. 99% of the time I connect with 1/4 anyway and it works fine. The xlr pure has room for a 9 volt battery inside and a couple more controls such as preamp gain and a phase switch.

Anthony

Top Bottom