tenor strings on a concert uke

janeray1940

Reaction score
Those of you who have followed my posting history are probably aware of my search for LOUD strings. I play mostly soprano ukes, and a concert uke for low G. Yesterday while yet again struggling to be heard over a tenor uke, I hit on the idea of putting tenor strings on my concert uke. Don't know why I never thought of this before since I've often put concert strings on my sopranos.

I bought some tenor Martin M600s and put them on my Kamaka HF-2, and - while I'm not sure if it helps much with volume, it's a great sound! Much more sustain than I had with concert-specific strings, and as someone who favors higher tension strings I really like the feel. I'll know tonight when I play with others if I'm any more audible than before :)

So - just putting this idea out there for those who like to experiment a bit.

When strings which are at a sustainable pressure at 17 inches are maintaining that same pitch at 15 inches, does the pressure on the neck increase or decrease? if the pressure on the neck and the bridge is increased, what damage will be done to the instrument? I honestly have no opinion...this is not a trick question. I could see having to widen the slots, thus making the change an irreversible thing, or having two different sets of a nut and bridge saddle appropriate for each set of strings.

When strings which are at a sustainable pressure at 17 inches are maintaining that same pitch at 15 inches, does the pressure on the neck increase or decrease? if the pressure on the neck and the bridge is increased, what damage will be done to the instrument? I honestly have no opinion...this is not a trick question. I could see having to widen the slots, thus making the change an irreversible thing, or having two different sets of a nut and bridge saddle appropriate for each set of strings.

I'm not technical about this stuff, so I can't really answer your questions. My uke instructor and a luthier at the shop both told me it wouldn't cause damage; the luthier looked at the string diameter and said it would be fine. I did not have to widen the slots; if anything, the tenor strings fit better than the concert strings I usually use (I play Kamakas and the stock strings they ship with are thick, so the slots are cut to accommodate those).

I've used concert strings on sopranos for years and it has never caused any damage. Many strings are sold as either "soprano/concert" (Martin M600, for example) or "concert/tenor" (La Bella, for example) so I don't think I'm doing anything too radical here - I was mostly just amazed that I had never thought of trying tenor strings! It really does make a difference in volume, as I learned last night while playing with a group. And I love the sound.

It's a little bit confusing because there are two things at play.

On the one hand, shorter scale instruments should have thicker diameter strings so that the same pitch can be reached at a reasonable tension.

On the other hand, for ukulele, a soprano ukulele is 'not' a short scale tenor ukulele. They are supposed to have very different tension strings.

I tried this on a concert that had string buzz problems - it kind of worked.... I got less buzz, but I put concert strings on recently and the sound was more open and resonant. So it's currently getting a re-fret and fret-board level so that I can keep it strung with the 'concert" strings that I prefer. I didn't feel that it was any louder when it had the tenor strings on, but it lost its chimey, transparent sound.
Tenor strings on a concert have been shortened to achieve the same pitch as on a tenor uke, so- I believe they will have less tension than a tenor, but more tension than concert strings on a concert uke.... This is making my head spin

Try these strings: J92 Pro-Arte Ukulele Concert . They are thick nylon strings and they have a loud and balanced good sound.

Top Bottom