DIY Uke 'backpack'

SeattleSean

Reaction score
hi all!

I am getting a Vespa, which I'm incredibly excited about! Since I live along the coast, I have this idea of strapping my uke case onto my back, so I can then idly play on the beach.

Anyone have a suggestion about a good way to essentially turn my case into a backpack? I"m sure I could buy something but that seems like just one more thing in my house and I'm trying to think of something to do that won't look too ridiculous but will be secure there on my back.

Thanks in advance for any creative thinking on this!

What is your case like? Do you have a photo?

–Lori

What is your case like? Do you have a photo?

–Lori

Lori, I bet you could come up with something along the polypro Uke Leash line to attach to just about any case or gig bag. I've been thinking of a backpack too, and though I can't figure it out myself, it doesn't seem like creating one from a case "should" be difficult! :eek:

Oh, sorry i don't have a photo as I'm at work, but I should've mentioned that I have a soprano and a tenor, both of which are in standard hard cases.

That's what they invented gig bags for; there are some nice ones with 2 straps for not a lot of money, and you won't have a hard case strapped to your back. It would probably cost just as much to go to the hardware store and get rings, clips, and straps to form backpack straps for your hard cases. Or just get a backpack from a sporting goods place that's deep enough to hold the ukes, but then again you have something else around the house. I guess you could cut the straps off of it, attach clips to the ends, and hook them to rings you installed on the case, and throw away the rest of the backpack, at least you'd have just the straps laying around when you weren't using them, and it would fit both cases.

That's what they invented gig bags for; there are some nice ones with 2 straps for not a lot of money, and you won't have a hard case strapped to your back. It would probably cost just as much to go to the hardware store and get rings, clips, and straps to form backpack straps for your hard cases.
I'd go for a gig bag, too. Lighter than a hard shelled case rubbing on your back.

I have seen some sort of harness contraption (don't know what it's called) that allows you to carry a hard case like a backpack, but you basically have to take it completely off to be able to open the case.

A plain backpack that fits your uke would also allow you to carry other items as well. Room for a couple bottles of water, a sweatshirt if the weather's iffy, etc.

my exclusive men's stores (Goodwill and Value Village) have cost-friendly backpacks that could be 'reinforced' with a pillow so that it fits nicely and comfortably on your back, esp for those longer scooter travels:)

I used to have a Yamaha Riva, which I sold to pay for a Honda Goldwing, which I gave away when it stopped working.

I like Lambrettas myself, but Vespas are the quintessential 'Scooter' model... color me envious!

keep uke'in' (and scootering!),

The term "hard case" is applied to two different styles...one canvas covered styrofoam with a zipper, the other a much heavier case with latches. The styrofoam one might be OK strapped onto your back, but the other type would be uncomfortable.
I like gig bags myself for that kind of thing.. with backpack straps. You might look at the Vespa and see if there is a place to securely fasten the uke to it, instead of your back. I assume you might need some kind of luggage rack or something to carry groceries and assorted items from your errands.

–Lori

Thanks for your ideas everyone! I do have one of those hard cases with the buckles. I am sort of thinking I'll give Uncle Rod's & itsme's idea a go and pop it into a backpack. I hadn't thought about that, but that seems like the best idea without having to buy something new. (I recently moved and as part of purging stuff I don't need, I vowed that I have to get rid of 2 things for every 1 new thing I get, so even though the gig bag option sounds like a great solution I want to avoid buying something new if I can)

Here's a picture of my new Vespa model, btw, which is coming this week! http://uncrate.com/p/2012/11/vespa-946-xl.jpg

Last edited:
Nice lookin' Vespa. My niece commutes on one in San Francisco and always finds a parking spot.

You could always find a nice "sturdy" pair of pants with a leg wide enough for the uke to fit in and make one of these!

FXX3FHfwf5vlGr6Y.jpg

OK, I'm officially envious (Vespa Acquisition Syndrome? Scooter AS?)

Lots of good ideas in this thread.

Once we get the uke, and the stand, and the music books (tablet?), we have to find a way
to carry it all... comfortably.

One fella I know has a roller suitcase, smaller, so it won't hold the ukes, but everything else.

Most of us, I think, have several 'carry-ons' (roller or otherwise) but I'm sure we look (to others)
like we're outfitted for some kind of expedition!! :)

have fun and keep uke'in',

PS double-racket tennis racket cases are also an option!

Ha ha, I love these creative ideas! I do actually have a carrier for my yoga matt, and i considered that but its' too narrow to get the body in. I'll try out my backpack when I get home to see if that fits. If not, I'll either buy a cheap backpack or give one of the above ideas a go!

hi all!

I am getting a Vespa, which I'm incredibly excited about! Since I live along the coast, I have this idea of strapping my uke case onto my back, so I can then idly play on the beach.

Anyone have a suggestion about a good way to essentially turn my case into a backpack? I"m sure I could buy something but that seems like just one more thing in my house and I'm trying to think of something to do that won't look too ridiculous but will be secure there on my back.

Thanks in advance for any creative thinking on this!

Strap it to the surfboard mounts on your vespa.. lol
Dana Point was my hometown for 18 years. Lived up on Chula Vista st.

Strap it to the surfboard mounts on your vespa.. lol
Dana Point was my hometown for 18 years. Lived up on Chula Vista st.

Ha ha, great idea! I have bodyboarded since I moved, but haven't yet learned to surf! But have no fear -- that's on the docket for next summer!

I live off of Golden Lantern, on a bluff overtop Selva Road. Small world! It's a great area and I'm glad I chose it!

So... what two things did you get rid of so you could get a Vespa?

A bunch of old sports equipment that was just sitting there in a cupboard in my closet! I'm also buying 2 helmets & a pair of gloves, so I got rid of 10+ things to off-set. ;-)

So... what two things did you get rid of so you could get a Vespa?

Top Bottom