PDA

View Full Version : NAMM 2014 - You going and bringing your uke?

blue_knight_usa
11-19-2013, 03:54 PM
Howdy, who is going to NAMM 2014 in Anaheim and is 1 full day enough to walk the place or do you really need two days?

Cheers!

Bao
11-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Is NAMM a place only for distributors, sellers and sponsored people? Or is it for everyone? Sorry, I just never knew so I might aswell ask now.

I'd really want to go some day if it is available to everyone

ukeeku
11-20-2013, 02:20 AM
Is NAMM a place only for distributors, sellers and sponsored people? Or is it for everyone? Sorry, I just never knew so I might aswell ask now.

I'd really want to go some day if it is available to everyone
It is not a public event. retail, sellers, manufactures, and industry people only.
It is huge and I would do 2 days.
If it is just to look at ukes, a half day may be ok

blue_knight_usa
11-20-2013, 06:56 AM
It is not a public event. retail, sellers, manufactures, and industry people only.
It is huge and I would do 2 days.
If it is just to look at ukes, a half day may be ok

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it!

kohanmike
11-20-2013, 07:51 AM
I'm trying to get a conductor friend of mine get me in, he's been going for years. I just want to spend one day, so will concentrate on the uke, but I know I'll be distracted by lots of other stuff.

hoosierhiver
11-20-2013, 07:59 AM
There has been a tradition for several years of meeting on the "grassy knoll" outside the venue one evening and jamming. I presume that'll happen again.

Kevdog
11-20-2013, 02:44 PM
In the past they didn't allow you to bring instruments in as it could be an issue trying to get then back out (think theft issues). You might want to leave your instruments in your hotel and play after hours. I would hate for you to wait in line and then be told you can't bring in your uke then have to go all the way back and put away your instrument-

It could make you very thirsty my friend....

Kevdog

Newportlocal
11-20-2013, 02:58 PM
There has been a tradition for several years of meeting on the "grassy knoll" outside the venue one evening and jamming. I presume that'll happen again.

Looking forward to doing that again. It was so happy making.

blue_knight_usa
11-20-2013, 03:32 PM
In the past they didn't allow you to bring instruments in as it could be an issue trying to get then back out (think theft issues). You might want to leave your instruments in your hotel and play after hours. I would hate for you to wait in line and then be told you can't bring in your uke then have to go all the way back and put away your instrument-

It could make you very thirsty my friend....

Kevdog

We don't need no stinkin badges. I will see you there big boy!

janeray1940
01-09-2014, 09:22 AM
Wondering if anybody knows if it would be a problem to bring a custom uke - I'm going this year and since I'm somewhat local, I won't have a hotel. FWIW, the luthier who made my uke will be there so I think he can vouch for me that it isn't stolen :)

misterpk
01-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Wondering if anybody knows if it would be a problem to bring a custom uke - there's a strong chance I'm going this year and since I'm somewhat local, I won't have a hotel. FWIW, the luthier who made my uke will be there so I think he can vouch for me that it isn't stolen :)

They are really strict about you bringing your own instrument in. I think the only people they allow to do this are performers.

I should also add that I will be there for the jam session and I will have my instrument. :)

janeray1940
01-09-2014, 09:28 AM
They are really strict about you bringing your own instrument in. I think the only people they allow to do this are performers.

Thanks for the quick reply! I suspected as much.

Jon Moody
01-09-2014, 09:50 AM
I'll be demo'ing our fluorocarbon uke sets at the GHS Booth, Hall C, Booth 4684 on Saturday at noon if anyone wants to stop by and listen.

hawaii 50
01-09-2014, 11:25 AM
No MGM...must be the first year in a while Mike won't be there..everyone will miss his smiling face,i am sure!

but Corey taking his place...he and Zack will be playing at the Ko'olau/Pono/Ukulele Site Booths(HMS)
say Hi and pickup Corey's CD there....

kohanmike
01-09-2014, 08:15 PM
I'm hoping to go by way of my brother's girlfriend. I figure one day spent around the uke section. I'm in LA so will not need a room. When are the meet-ups planned?

seeso
01-10-2014, 04:40 AM

I should also add that I will be there for the jam session and I will have my instrument. :)

There was a guy last year in a motorized wheelchair that had his electronic drums and speakers BUILT INTO HIS WHEELCHAIR. That's one way to get around the rules!

Ukulele Eddie
01-10-2014, 06:42 AM
A buddy scored me a pass from one of his vendors, so I'm planning to be there either Thurs or Fri (vs. the weekend). I do not plan to bring my uke.

misterpk
01-10-2014, 06:52 AM
There was a guy last year in a motorized wheelchair that had his electronic drums and speakers BUILT INTO HIS WHEELCHAIR. That's one way to get around the rules!

LOL. Yeah that would be one way to do it. A rather clever way!

LanikaiLeon
01-10-2014, 07:29 AM
If you're going to the NAMM show please come see my friends/performers THE KINGS OF UKULELE at the Hohner/Lanikai booth #3240 in Hall D at the following times:

Friday - Noon
Sunday - Noon

They are really fun. Ask for Leon and if I'm available you will get a special prize! Woo!

I'm also happy to give anyone a tour of our new products if my schedule is open and you're interested.

See ya there!

hoosierhiver
01-10-2014, 07:52 AM
I think a lot of people will be going to the Sarah and Craig show on Saturday. I suggest we have the meet up Friday evening about 6pm on the grassy knoll on the Katella Ave side of the convention center.

Info on the Saturday show,
http://www.sarahmaisel.com/sarah-maisel-craig-chee-paul-hemmings-012514-island-bazaar-huntington-beach-ca

Mim
01-10-2014, 04:54 PM
I think a lot of people will be going to the Sarah and Craig show on Saturday. I suggest we have the meet up Friday evening about 6pm on the grassy knoll on the Katella Ave side of the convention center.

Info on the Saturday show,
http://www.sarahmaisel.com/sarah-maisel-craig-chee-paul-hemmings-012514-island-bazaar-huntington-beach-ca

I will be there... at the knoll and the Craig/Sarah show... and of course at NAMM. I am thinking the hair will be blue, so look for the crazy lady with short blue hair hanging around different ukulele booths. Im looking forward to it!!! 12 more days! Not that I am counting!

UncleElvis
01-10-2014, 05:31 PM
I'll be there, too! WOO HOO!
Can't wait. And I'll be at the knoll and at the Craig/Sarah show... and everywhere else I can be!
I can't wait to see y'all!

Dan Uke
01-10-2014, 07:10 PM
Friday or Saturday? If you can only go one day inside, which day would you recommend?

kohanmike
01-10-2014, 09:25 PM
If I can get a pass, I'm figuring on Sunday. I just downloaded the NAMM iPhone app and marking all the ukulele booths, not easy with this app.

Lori
01-11-2014, 06:41 AM
Friday or Saturday? If you can only go one day inside, which day would you recommend?
Friday might be less crowded. That's a plus!

–Lori

Brit Rodriguez
01-22-2014, 08:31 PM
I will be there with my uke. I'm staying all weekend and looking forward to my first experience at NAMM. I can't wait to meet everyone, look at the ukuleles, and listen to some great artists. See you there!

Jon Moody
01-23-2014, 03:28 AM
If you get a chance, head over to the GHS Booth, and look for me. I have my Kala Tenor there that you can play and fiddle with for a bit.

kohanmike
01-25-2014, 10:01 AM
My brother got me a pass to the NAMM show, I'm going tomorrow. I have a certain amount of trouble walking and I know that NAMM is spread out all over the place. I just want to concentrate in the ukulele booths, but the NAMM iPhone app does not do a very good job of presenting specific requests. I searched for ukulele vendors and it only lists about eight and I know there are a good deal more. If you've been there, are the uke booths reasonable close to each other, or are they spread out?

Ukulele Eddie
01-25-2014, 10:12 AM
I searched for ukulele vendors and it only lists about eight and I know there are a good deal more. If you've been there, are the uke booths reasonable close to each other, or are they spread out?

The uke vendors are downstairs, IIRC it's Hall D.

kohanmike
01-25-2014, 10:16 AM
Interesting, the NAMM app shows a bunch in the south end of Hall E too, and only one in Hall D, obviously a crap app. I did a search in Exhibitors for ukulele and no Kala, Lanikai, Eddie Finn, Mahalo, Breedlove, Kamaka, Ohana, Kohala, Stagg, Blackbird, Islander, Makai, Lulu, Aquila, Asturius, Gold Tone, Fender, Chesbro, all of which I found on YouTube interviewed by UU (who is that). What a waste the NAMM app is, does not even include a master map of the entire facility.

janeray1940
01-25-2014, 10:23 AM
I went on Thursday. Most of the uke vendors were downstairs in Hall E, but a couple (Kala and Cordoba IIRC) were upstairs in (ummm... I've forgotten!) either Hall A or D.

Jon Moody
01-27-2014, 03:03 PM
I went on Thursday. Most of the uke vendors were downstairs in Hall E, but a couple (Kala and Cordoba IIRC) were upstairs in (ummm... I've forgotten!) either Hall A or D.

Kala and Cordoba were in Hall B, with a couple other ukes.

kohanmike
01-27-2014, 05:51 PM
I was at NAMM Sunday, concentrating mainly on the ukulele booths. First let me say that I visited the Moku booth and had a very good conversation with Mike Mulqueen, a very personable guy. He has some beautiful ukuleles that he designs and is constructed in Vietnam. I find this very interesting because the last uke I bought on an eBay auction is made in Vietnam. Along with a line of retail ukes, he also makes custom ukes from wood he has in stock, for about $800 US with a short 2 month turn around. I told him I'd make mention of that to all the uke people I know.

Next, I was approaching one of the larger booths and there were two guys jamming, one on guitar, the other on ukulele. As I stepped up to them, I realized the guy on the uke was Bruce Shimabukuro, WOW! I pulled out my iPhone and videoed them in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV_-M04zsyw

Craig Chee
01-29-2014, 12:22 PM
Some of my photos from NAMM! (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10203231826100258.1073741834.1346970309&type=1&l=ca6d5eac6a)

I always forget how exhausting trade shows are... this was a fun one though. So happy to run into so many friends!

beachkid
01-30-2014, 07:34 PM
Some of my photos from NAMM! (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10203231826100258.1073741834.1346970309&type=1&l=ca6d5eac6a)

I always forget how exhausting trade shows are... this was a fun one though. So happy to run into so many friends!
Thank you for posting your pics they deserve there own thread, I don't believe anyone will see them as much and they should, you have some very talented friends everyone should be so lucky.

Ukulele Eddie
01-31-2014, 04:53 AM
Some great photos. I posted some video highlights in the video section here (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?92602-A-few-snipits-from-NAMM-2014). It was too dark to catch video at the strum along, so my stuff was all indoors earlier.

I'll post some video of you (Craig), Sarah and others playing Saturday night when I get a chance. You put on a great show!

Sarah Maisel
02-04-2014, 12:57 PM
Some great photos. I posted some video highlights in the video section here (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?92602-A-few-snipits-from-NAMM-2014). It was too dark to catch video at the strum along, so my stuff was all indoors earlier.

I'll post some video of you (Craig), Sarah and others playing Saturday night when I get a chance. You put on a great show!

Yay! That's exciting! Thanks!

SailingUke
02-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Interesting, the NAMM app shows a bunch in the south end of Hall E too, and only one in Hall D, obviously a crap app. I did a search in Exhibitors for ukulele and no Kala, Lanikai, Eddie Finn, Mahalo, Breedlove, Kamaka, Ohana, Kohala, Stagg, Blackbird, Islander, Makai, Lulu, Aquila, Asturius, Gold Tone, Fender, Chesbro, all of which I found on YouTube interviewed by UU (who is that). What a waste the NAMM app is, does not even include a master map of the entire facility.

My iPad app worked perfectly, was able to find all the vendors and even made some notes.

kohanmike
02-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Must be better than the iPhone version, didn't want to carry my iPad.