Just bought a uke!(never played guitar/uke before) little help?

Skeezy

Reaction score
Hey hey underground,
I wanted to first start off with saying, I think i found heaven! This place is awesome! you get tips and help anywhere you go here.

I am having a lot of trouble figuring out how to begin? I don't really know what book I should get if I bought one.. any good ones? Also, I almost have somewhere over the rainbow, but I don't really know how to read the chords and i am not sure how to get my 3 and 4 on EM.

Another little thing I seem to be having problems with is my uke is in tune, but the strings seem almost to lose? and it makes a funny noise when i strum like one of the chords is vibrating.

-Thanks, Skeez:music:

Welcome to UU! What kind of ukulele are we looking at anyway?

EM? Do you mean Em? Just use your 1st 2nd and 3rd finger and leave the G string open. That should make things easier if you're talking about Em. I hope this helps.
Code:
G C E A
| | | |
| | | o
| | o |
| o | |

WELCOME BRO! I was just like you! I started last july and have come a far way now! i play the guitar uke and piano now! although my musical theory knowledge isnt up to par its still really fun to play! I learned simply by youtube videos! no lie! simple musical theory vids and uke tutorial vids!

I am rocking a soprano right now and I love it
Ya that did help supersweet, it was showing up though online as the 4th string 2nd fret too, but now i know its just the 3 across.

Youtube videos are definently helpful, and so are the videos posted on here, I was just curious as from some experience from others is all.

I started playing the ukulele 2 years ago with no experience playing any stringed instruments. I think Youtube lessons is a good place to start, as well as sites such as www.doctoruke.com. I liked Roy Sakuma's DVD a lot too. There are a lot of good resources online. Once you have the basics down, seek out stuff that you are really interested in. Of course, this forum is an immense ukulele resource as well. Have fun!

show up for the live lessons on wednesdays too!

what part of SD you from?
how old are you?
can you travel?

san diego has a HUGE ukulele following. and you can find groups, clinics, and get togethers ranging all ages. from chula vista to vista.

find out whats going on around you and hang out with some of us. you're sure to learn more!

another question...
When i play 2nd string 2nd fret it sounds like a lose screw... but its only that idk what to do? its tuned

Sounds like fret buzz, there are not any easy ways to fix this. If you can still exchange your uke I would do so and play the crap out of it to make sure no frets buzz. Just try every string with every fret to check for buzzing.

If you cant exchange it you could take it to a guitar or Uke shop and they can check for a warped neck, and if it is all good they should be able to do some sanding on the frets to correct the action. This will also make a huge difference on how easy you uke will be to play.

Top Bottom