Sultitan Itan (Cocteau Twins)

uke4ia

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score

I couldn't find any signs of ukulele Cocteau Twins covers on YouTube. Challenge accepted!

I was in a rush to put this up this morning, so I failed to explain for people who aren't familiar with the Cocteau Twins. Except for their last couple of albums, this band was notorious for no one ever having any idea what the lyrics were, much worse than even early R.E.M. When the singer was using actual English words, she would give them a strange pronunciation or inflection so that they still weren't recognizable. For a few years, she would find obscure words from other languages and combine them in an order where they made no literal sense, but she would sing them with a lot of emotion. She never made the lyrics available, but a couple of years ago I found a web site where people's best estimates of the lyrics had been compiled.

http://cocteautwins.etherweave.com/

This site has convinced me that the lyrics for the song "Melonella" are all taxonomic names for different families of moths. So I used the lyrics I found on this site for "Sultitan Itan". Here they are, in case you want to sing along:

Coenonympha specilla meta bella-bella
Perrittia laklerie koryao-ao

Macrothylacia phriofosica salaciella
Nepticulla-ulla-lla stipella amicolla

Sultiapollanella-nella cossus cossus
Abillatoeya stroemella

Okernalla mulla lania hyalophora bragilla
Sumho brokeella vetenofo vatopecella
Ollodocyerisa piphovstilolla pisella
Lanconia ollanialla tikie-tikie
Nallepacella lampronia

Coenonympha specilla meta bella
Eurybia-beba phionella

Ebapheronia nella viefiolla befasonabra
Tiekeria-epepia tella phylonistesotna
Dioryctria phispikera hyllolycaena bella
Phyllonorycter tella hyllo phytlla-phytlla
Pachytelia tigilla stasueshella pachliopta
Kanollecosahelue hammoniella

this band was notorious for no one ever having any idea what the lyrics were,
They were not exactly "notorious" for it. It was an essential part of the sound, the mystery only adding to the beauty.

I see websites, like Pandora or youtube, where someone adds the "lyrics," but I'd rather not know. It's better for me that way. I love that band.

Top Bottom