Shameless self-promotion? I think NOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mketom

Reaction score
I've reposted my opinion about "Shameless Self-Promotion" here so others will find their way to this new forum section and offer their views. Who finds this offer from Kimo and Andrew to be SSP?
getting moved to this board is an insult.
I too find this 'move" insulting and contrary to UU's Aloha spirit. There ARE posts that fit in this section of the forum but certainly not this one. Andrew Kitakis and Kimo Hussey are, IMHO, 2 of the reasons I support this forum. Their offer of sharing their time and energy for the advancement of the ukulele is magnanimous, not shameless.

Last edited:
I agree with the first part of what you said Tom. You won't find two people who have more for the ukulele community that Andrew and Kimo. I'd be insulted if I posted a topic that was meant to be helpful and it was tossed in the rubbish can that Shameless self promotion board is.

What I don't agree with you on is why that section of the forum even exists. In my opinion it takes the quality of the forum down a couple of notches. Sorry guys, it doesn't happen often but I think you blew it this time.

I agree with the first part of what you said Tom. You won't find two people who have more for the ukulele community that Andrew and Kimo. I'd be insulted if I posted a topic that was meant to be helpful and it was tossed in the rubbish can that Shameless self promotion board is.

What I don't agree with you on is why that section of the forum even exists. In my opinion it takes the quality of the forum down a couple of notches. Sorry guys, it doesn't happen often but I think you blew it this time.

I agree, especially when I consider that most of the threads I've ever started were pretty much shameless self-promotion, to varying degrees.

When I first saw that new forum heading, I thought it was for people to post to themselves, and I was almost going to post something of my own. Maybe I still will.

I must admit that before I saw this thread, I had never even noticed the "Shameless self-promotion" section of the forum existed. If the idea is to have a place to move apparently commercial ventures to a particular part of the forum, then perhaps we need to change the name of the section to something like Commercial Promotions. Perhaps that would be a better title (and less "emotional") if such a section is needed at all. If people stand to make a lot of dosh out of their promotion, it could even be a Pay to Post section. In return the section could get starred or moved to the top of the list every "X" hours. But I think we already have rules covering advertising, don't we?

First of “shameless self promotion” is a very negative term and seems to go against the aloha that is so much of this forum. Maybe a different title is in order.

Second, to me shameless self promotion would end up giving some direct benefit (usually money) to the poster. Andrew’s post is the exact opposite. They are soliciting input so others may enjoy the ukulele more.

You are absolutely right. I too am first bothered by the addition of this section and did not mean to give support to its existence by saying there are any posts that belong there. Mahalo for the course correction:)

I think it's just incredible frustration on the part of the powers that be. I equate it to this:

Imagine me, I make good coffee. It's tasty, and I want other people to enjoy it.... So I go to my local starbux because hell, people there like coffee.... and I set up a kiosk in their lobby, promoting my coffee, free samples, questionnaires and all. I mean well, I mean, I'm looking to start/expand my business, right?

How long is it before I'm tossed out on my ass?

Maybe if people would ask the powers that be BEFORE they promote their education programs in essentially what is someone else's school... or maybe ask to join in and work ALONGSIDE Aldymon and Rayan, instead of being an unintentional/well-meaning/potentially damaging speedbump? Those kids bust their asses for this site, and people doing that is basically ripping the funds outta their hands.

I personally think it's nice that they made that area... instead of silent banning/deleting all promotional threads that weren't cleared with them first. I'm expecting a TOS change shortly...

I can tell you one thing - if this is representative of the direction this forum is going I will be canceling my VIP membership.

John

I think it's just incredible frustration on the part of the powers that be. I equate it to this:

Imagine me, I make good coffee. It's tasty, and I want other people to enjoy it.... So I go to my local starbux because hell, people there like coffee.... and I set up a kiosk in their lobby, promoting my coffee, free samples, questionnaires and all. I mean well, I mean, I'm looking to start/expand my business, right?

Maybe if people would ask the powers that be BEFORE they promote their education programs in essentially what is someone else's school... or maybe ask to join in and work ALONGSIDE Aldymon and Rayan, instead of being an unintentional/well-meaning/potentially damaging speedbump? Those kids bust their asses for this site, and people doing that is basically ripping the funds outta their hands.

I personally think it's nice that they made that area... instead of silent banning/deleting all promotional threads that weren't cleared with them first. I'm expecting a TOS change shortly...

I've got to admit, this angle didn't occur to me because I rarely go to the main page.
Aldrine has been busting butt making videos for us free of charge for several years now.

I was just with Uncle Kimo at a house concert a few months ago telling him about how great UU was and that he should participate. I have known Kimo for the past 4 years and seeing the video put in the Garbage Can category (let's just call a spade a spade folks!) was a HUGE disappointment for me knowing his love for teaching, music, ukulele and his work with Uke for Kids.

Just sayin...

I'm in this camp.

I think Cashew makes some very valid points to those insulted by the name. A name change might be in order but we're playing in someone else's sandbox. And they do a great job of keeping their sandbox the place to be.

Tom

Thankyou for drawing attention to the issue of the Kimo thread.

The shameless self promotion sub-forum is indeed intended to be 'shameful', that is correct. cashew summed it up perfectly. If you're thread ends up there it is for a reason and the ignominy associated with that in the eyes of admin or mods. This site is about sharing the passion of the uke and growing ukulele players by the act of giving, not about blatant self aggrandising behaviour. We look at this as something that is certainly not cool and runs against the spirit of aloha that motivates what we do here.

The sub-section was created a week or two back as a place to dump threads that were seen to be against the spirit of the UU. I don't believe it takes us down a notch, it is at the bottom of the board for a reason.

Ryan has since posted his thoughts and motivations on the Kimo thread itself. Anyone wanting to understand the reason behind that move can check it out, and I urge you to do so. Running this forum is not an easy job by any stretch. We are all human and difficult decisions are often called upon to be made.

Thankyou for your understanding. I am closing this now. Any further points you want to make please contact one of the mod team.

Last edited:

............this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom