Do birds understand our music?

Dougf

Reaction score
Or is this just coincidence?

A couple of years ago I shot a ‘ukulele video on my back patio, and the birds chimed in as they often do in that setting. However, this time, one of birds seemed to totally nail the tag on the intro. Here’s a link, check it out and see what you think. The birds continued to put their two cents in periodically for the rest of the song (along with my cat), but the timing on that intro just seemed uncanny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTB2uoVR9sw

Well, I chalked it up to serendipitous coincidence, although I harbored suspicions that there might be more to it. Then I just recently recorded another song in my back yard, and again the birds chimed in, and this time one of of the birds seemed to totally nail the tag on the crescendo toward the end. Here’s a clip of the last 30 seconds or so, again, it seemed pretty uncanny to me. I’m really starting to think that birds understand our music, and have the ability to jam with us in their own way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tizhLZtSOdU&feature=youtu.be&t=2m45s

I totally believe they get it. I've had birds help me out while writing songs, and they've been some of my best, and favorites. I believe all beings affect each other, and when we're in the right, resonant state if you will, others know it and respond. People tend to think life is all about them... News flash, it's not, and there are other perfectly musical, sensible, and living things around. And we're all connected to all of them. I've also had hummingbirds hover right in front of my face when I was sitting on a deck. No one else was around, and they stayed for a noticeable few seconds. When people arrived, the birds split. Some thought my red hair attracted them, and maybe it did. But I also think they sensed I wouldn't harm them. I've never known a uke player to be intentionally mean, have you? :)

'Ukulele music yes - polka music no

I dunno. I can drive the birds away the minute I pull out any harmonica... and a few dogs and cats head off, too... come to think of it, so does my wife.

http://phys.org/news160315376.html

"Researchers at Harvard University have found that humans aren't the only ones who can groove to a beat -- some other species can dance, too. This capability was previously believed to be specific to humans. The research team found that only species that can mimic sound seem to be able to keep a beat, implying an evolutionary link between the two capacities."

No doubt they do. I used to play and sing outside a lot and their timing was always impeccable. Kinda like this guy... :cool:

many years ago I was sitting on the porch strumming a A7-D7 thing on guitar and almost immediately, crows had gathered on the telephone wires and joined in. it was awesome.

Our parrot (African Grey) certainly used to join in (appropriately) with whistles and clicks on songs. She was even taught to sing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star / How I wonder what you are!" by prolonged exposure to a tape loop. She never quite got the last word. She sang "How I wonder what you star!" ;)

No doubt they do. I used to play and sing outside a lot and their timing was always impeccable. Kinda like this guy... :cool:

Wow, sure looks real, I don't think cgi is that good yet. I was ready for him to break into a full kit wail and flail just as it started to end.

Last edited:
Birds are real smart and some of the videos I checked out of singing birds were kind of sad really. But they dance and they obviously do get music. I'm glad this one didn't enter the season of the ukulele a few weeks ago where we had to do a classical piece or operatic style piece.

At first my African Grey, Henry, was afraid of my uke. Eventually he warmed up to it, has learned the songs I play the most and gives me a look when I make a mistake. I read an article that I didn't save that suggested that animals like to listen to music/sounds in their own voal range. Interesting concept, and I would think that parrots voalize in the ukulele range. My dearly departed -indoor- cat George liked to listen to me play piano and unknown to us had escaped one day. I began to play piano and guess who appeared on the window ledge - outside! I believe animals do enjoy music.

Our Dog would howl when my Brother played the Violin. But for some reason, I don't think the dog was trying to sing along

I had a pet clam who used to exhibit faint bobbing and weaving when I played the mandolin.

Top Bottom