Adding to a finished uke

SeaArtNancy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone and Happy Wednesday!
I'm still mulling over that kit by koa soprano Grizzly (yes -you can all make loud chicken noises)....
but I do have a question...
how difficult is it to add rope binding, inlay and all that fun stuff to a plain uke thats been nicely built with good intonation?
I'm considering buying a mahogany Pono and "going wild on it"!
Any advice would be most welcome!
Nancy

depends how its constructed and finished. Binding and purfling are much easier to do with the neck off. Otherwise it gets hard to cut the channel near the neck, but it can be done. You'll probably have to refinish too.
Are you planning on making the rope?

None of it is hard per se. Just careful woodwork going step by step.

I'd say go for it, as stretching your skills and challenging yourself is what will keep you interested. At the end of it, you'll be amazed at what you can do with a bit of research, planning and taking your time in execution.

I'm considering the mahogany Stew Mac kit with instructional DVD now...not as big an investment... I have quite a few woodworking tools-table saw,drill press, Foredom Flex Shaft system, files,saws,clamps, glues, gin, rum, whiskey....

my first uke was the stew mac soprano with the DVD. Go for it. It is well worth the education on how one is made. I got hooked. Good to save the gin, rum, whiskey till you walk away from the table saw, and relax after a satisfying day working with wood. Bindings are fun, as long as you have the right tools and patience. Different bindings require certain glues, so do your research on that.

Have fun!
Anne Flynn

Thanks so much Everyone! As soon as I wrap up a portrait commission, I'll be focusing on making that uke...I love that amazing vintage look with rope bindings...and as I sit down with the sketches for what I'm going to do to deco this new venture, I feel like a kid in the candy store...this journey into Uke addiction has been way too much fun!!!!

Make sure you have the kerfing to support the installation of rope purling. Otherwise you'll be cutting the top and back of the uke! Also know that you'll be sanding to uke too after binding. If it's a laminate make sure the veneer is thick enough to withstand the sanding. And read up on how to apply the finish of your choice. Good luck.

Thanks so much Everyone, you are all so awesome for being so kind! I did just order the Stew Mac soprano kit , it's solid mahogany wood,with the DVD...very excited to give this a try! I'll post photos during the process and am planning on adding my own artwork to it...I'll post the sketches once I wrap them up!
Have a great day!
Nancy

Top Bottom