Kamaka koa tenor

Ewkahlaylee

Reaction score
I'm offering my original vintage kamaka tenor for sale, its in excellent condition with very little play wear and no cracks or breaks. It has 17" tenor scale, gold label and pin bridge. The front is one piece koa, the back is one piece, and the sides are too (no seam at the butt). I believe the board is rosewood, otherwise all koa.
$1125 shipped and pp lower US, other locations are subject to price difference.

I will get some better photos up soon...
I will also be offering other vintage stuff soon: kamaka concert white label 70-80s, Martin S1 & S2 white tuners and Geib case.

w03yhg.jpg

Last edited:
You identify the ukulele as a tenor, but it has what looks like Kamaka's concert scale headstock.

Interesting...I wonder if they just vary their headstocks from time to time because the fret arrangement indicates a tenor (18 total, 14 to body). Concerts are 16 total, 12 to body... Initially I thought maybe they were using the haircut headstock with friction tuners and the other headstock with friction tuners but a quick visit to the Kamaka website dispels that theory.

Edit to add...something else different - all of the tenors and baritones currently on the Kamaka website are showing tied bridges, with slotted bridges on the smaller ukes. Are the bridges with pegs maybe a newer innovation at Kamaka? Most of the pictures on the web site have fairly old copyright dates.

John

Last edited:
Maybe a concert + (plus)?

Edit to add...something else different - all of the tenors and baritones currently on the Kamaka website are showing tied bridges, with slotted bridges on the smaller ukes. Are the bridges with pegs maybe a newer innovation at Kamaka? Most of the pictures on the web site have fairly old copyright dates.

This is actually an older uke - a white label, 1969-2001, if my monitor isn't playing tricks on me. I recall seeing older Kamakas with bridge pins and maaaaaybe recall seeing tenors of this vintage with the sail headstock.

The neck on this one looks nice and slim, which is very tempting to me. My tenor envy has recently been reignited - timing is definitely not right though :)

This is a 17" scale length, one of the first tenors made in the 50s(?) with gold label. I don't know if any identifying styles would relate to modern model appointments.

Kamaka made tenor with the gumby headstock for a short period of time... also the bridge pins. My Kamaka tenor has both of these features as well, but sports 13 frets to the body.

This is a 17" scale length, one of the first tenors made in the 50s(?) with gold label. I don't know if any identifying styles would relate to modern model appointments.

Thanks for clarifying, I couldn't tell from the photo if it was gold or white. Looks like a sweet uke - kicking myself for not having the funds right now!

Given all the tings about it that Kamaka didn't ordinarily do -- pin bridge, sail headstock on a tenor -- this sounds like a rare uke!

AFAIK, this vintage (gold label) Kamakas did not have a serial number, but should have a manufacture date stamped inside.

I've looked inside and out, I don't see any markings. Is there a standard area to look?

030.jpg
You identify the ukulele as a tenor, but it has what looks like Kamaka's concert scale headstock.

Mark this is a rare 50's kamaka gold label tenor sail head...worth the money I have one... Yes and I think the black pins did come stock from the factory as mine has them too..

Last edited:
I've seen other old Kamaka tenors with bridge pins, it's probably an upgrade, as is the bone saddle instead of ebony... Stan?

I have one like it, same design, though I don't think the pins are original as the ones I've seen with the sailhead have had white plastic pins.

Mine has black pins, identical to these. Considering the frequency of variation in Kamakas of this era, I wouldn't assume the pins are unoriginal.

I've seen other old Kamaka tenors with bridge pins, it's probably an upgrade, as is the bone saddle instead of ebony... Stan?

Aloha Teek,
This was a limited build and they are rare...as for bridge pins and different saddles, those probally came only on custom ordered ones back then...my 50's gold sailhead is a custom thin neck and headstock the only one I've ever seen...most are the thicker headstock ...yes at that time, it was mostly plastic....my sailhead is in the shop getting a neck reset....

Top Bottom