Best strap for a plastic Outdoor Ukulele?

WKerrigan

Reaction score
Just got an Outdoor Ukulele, which is all plastic and has no attachment points. Any recommendations for a strap? The Ukeleash looks promising, but it isn't so much the neck that is slipping when I play standing up, but the body. The Mobius band says it is designed for wood ukes. I am a novice player. Any and all advice welcome.

I'd suggest buying a strap button from a local shop or Amazon (only about $5 for 2) and installing it yourself. It just takes a drill, Philips screwdriver, and a couple of minutes, and you don't have to have a second button, just tie under the strings between the nut and tuners...most straps come with the tie, but a shoestring works if not.

For the strap, there are the Uke crazy straps from Amazon or wherever, but they're a little pricey and a bit heavier than I think they need to be. I ordered a couple of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-UKULELE-STRAP-very-tiny-Fix-at-strap-lock-/121214903281?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c38f8a3f1
and they seem more appropriately-sized for a uke. Cheaper too, though they take a while to arrive.

The loops and hook-into-soundhole types seem to be OK for some, but they're little or no help to me. I want neck support for easy fingering, and a double-ended hookup works great for that.

I'd suggest buying a strap button from a local shop or Amazon (only about $5 for 2) and installing it yourself. It just takes a drill, Philips screwdriver, and a couple of minutes, and you don't have to have a second button, just tie under the strings between the nut and tuners...most straps come with the tie, but a shoestring works if not.

I don't think it'll be easy installing a strap button on an OUD. From what I understand, it doesn't have tail block since it's all plastic.

You definitely need a block inside to give the screw something to grab onto. I would see if a local luthier could do it. If you are nervous, then I would say try a Uke Leash. I have a pretty easy-going return policy if it doesn't work. The Uke Leash does stabilize the neck, but it also allows for lighter right arm pressure, so it might not slip as much.

–Lori

If the plastic is thin, it probably does need reinforcement. You could take it in, but if you're a do it yourselfer, here's a way:

When you get the strap button and screw, find the proper drill size for the screw, so it will thread into a piece of wood without too much difficulty, but with enough resistance that you know it's a good strong connection. Take a small piece of wood (plywood won't split) about an inch square or round, and drill the proper size hole in the middle of it. Thread the screw into the hole so the threads are already cut and you won't have to bear down too hard when tightening it on the uke. Drill the uke in the center for the screw, measure for the center and mark the hole so you get it right. You may want to loosen the uke strings to make things easier from this point.

Now feed a string...an old uke string, fishing line, thin flexible wire, or something through that new hole in the uke, and grab it through the soundhole and pull it out a few inches. Run the string through the center hole of your drilled wood piece, and tie it to a washer, nut, or something too big to fit back through the hole, so when you pull on the string, it will pull the wood block into the uke and into place.

Put a little glue...Duco cement, weatherstrip adhesive, or maybe even superglue on the side of the wood that will go against the top of the uke when it's inside. It really doesn't have to be all that strong, but needs to hold it in place while you install the screw and bear down on the screwdriver. Lay the uke on a table, pull the wood piece snugly into place, and hang something that weighs a couple of pounds on the string so it keeps the wood tightly in place while the glue dries. When it's dry, cut the string, turn the uke upside down and shake the washer and string out the sound hole, thread in your button screw, and you're in business.

Note; instead of the glue, you can use a couple of pieces of double-sided adhesive strips, such as the 3M Command mounting strips sold in hardware stores, used for hanging pictures etc. They are very strongly adhesive, won't have any issues with sticking to clean wood or plastic, and may be less messy than glue...plus no waiting to dry.

Last edited:
If you're not up for buying a Uke Leash, you could always make one out of an old shoelace and give that a run, works for me when i need a strap.

Just got an Outdoor Ukulele, which is all plastic and has no attachment points. Any recommendations for a strap? The Ukeleash looks promising, but it isn't so much the neck that is slipping when I play standing up, but the body. The Mobius band says it is designed for wood ukes. I am a novice player. Any and all advice welcome.

Hi WKerrigan,

The Mobius Strap should work fine on an Outdoor Ukulele. The caution about being wood-bodied is intended to warn owners of some metal-bodied ukuleles that their instrument may be too bottom-heavy to balance properly. As long as the ukulele is heavier toward the neck when balanced at the narrow waist, it should work fine. I'll give some thought to making this more clear on our website. Thanks for considering it!

I've found you can reduce the body slipping by fixing a small square of self adhesive velcro, the hooky side, to the centre of the back. It only needs to be about 1cm square. I've done that with most of my ukes and it makes a surprising difference. I can also recommend a uke leash, it really helps support the uke and frees up your fretting hand.

These sure are all helpful replies. Nice Aloha, people! :)

I got a UkeLoop on Ebay to use on my Fluke. It does not require drilling, but gives support on the bout end utilizing a metal ring that is attached with very sticky tape and on the neck end by a tie on. I was surprised at how well the tape stuck and yet you can remove it without any marks if need be. I wanted to avoid straps that might dampen the sound by lying against the soundboard. I also I wanted a strap that actually held up the Fluke so both hands were more free. The UkeLoop did the job for me at $19.00.

Top Bottom