Kala U-Bass Headphone Amp?

maikii

Reaction score
Hi-I don't know if this is the best place to ask questions about the Kala U-Bass, but I'll try.

I recently got the acoustic solid mahogany (fretted) model. I am not interested in an electronic sound, but rather in sounding as much as possible like an upright acoustic double bass.

For practice, of course, one can use it without any amplification at all, as one can hear the tones. Barely though. The sound is very weak without any amplification.

Therefore, I wondered whether it might be fun sometimes to practice with a headphone amp, to hear a little stronger sound.

For instance, the Vox Amplug Bass headphone amp, selling for about $50 at Amazon and other places. Has anyone reading tried that with the U-Bass?

I think though, that the controls on that bass headphone amp are likely more suited for electric bass sounds, the effects like compression, etc.

Is there a way one can set it, however, to get a good upright acoustic bass sound?

Any other models that people would recommend?

Thank you.

I know there is a U-bass forum around somewhere, but I don't see any reason to not post the question here.

That Amplug amp seems a little pricey, but also really convenient, with battery power and a plug for an MP3 player to jam with. I doubt you'll have any issues with 'electronic' sound, I've plugged my u-bass into several amps and was always able to get a clean, acoustic bass sound. There is an 'f/x' control that may add some more electronic effects, but you don't have to use it.

My U-bass is the earlier type with a passive pickup...I'm assuming yours is the new one with its own controls on the UBass. I have a cheap headphone amp that just doesn't have enough push for the passive pickup on mine, however I never have any trouble with normal amps, and can just plug a headphone into the amp for quiet play. That's the only issue I can think of, and since you probably have the newer active pickup, it probably wouldn't be an issue anyway.

On the off chance you can't get a clean acoustic sound from it, Amazon will let you return it, but I doubt you'll have that problem.

I know there is a U-bass forum around somewhere, but I don't see any reason to not post the question here.

That Amplug amp seems a little pricey, but also really convenient, with battery power and a plug for an MP3 player to jam with. I doubt you'll have any issues with 'electronic' sound, I've plugged my u-bass into several amps and was always able to get a clean, acoustic bass sound. There is an 'f/x' control that may add some more electronic effects, but you don't have to use it.

My U-bass is the earlier type with a passive pickup...I'm assuming yours is the new one with its own controls on the UBass. I have a cheap headphone amp that just doesn't have enough push for the passive pickup on mine, however I never have any trouble with normal amps, and can just plug a headphone into the amp for quiet play. That's the only issue I can think of, and since you probably have the newer active pickup, it probably wouldn't be an issue anyway.

On the off chance you can't get a clean acoustic sound from it, Amazon will let you return it, but I doubt you'll have that problem.

I also have the passive pickup. Not sure how well any headphone amp would work with that?

I read about another headphone amp for a similar price that is supposed to be good, called Earwig. But it connects to the guitar or bass with a cord, so the Amplug does look more convenient, plugging direction into the guitar or bass.

Anyone tried an Amplug with a non-preamped acoustic U-Bass?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/behringer-bass-v-amp-modeling-preamp

A killer tone toolbox for bass.

The Behringer Bass V-AMP Modeling Preamp lets you choose from 32 classic amps, 23 legendary speaker cabinets, and 16 killer effects models. Store your own presets in 125 memory locations. Full MIDI connectivity, plus it has Behringer's exclusive auto wah and rotary effects. Contains presets by such bass notables as Alphonso Johnson, Ken Taylor, and Hellmut Hattler.

Other features include stereo headphone output with adjustable volume, super-precise and adjustable autochromatic tuner, presence and sweepable shift/shape control, studio-quality noise reduction, and sweepable 24dB Butterworth frequency crossover. The Behringer V-AMP will become your best friend in the studio and at the gig.

Features
32 authentic virtual amp models can be combined with any of the 23 speaker cabinet simulations
Noise gate, compressor, wah-wah, modulation effects, delay, and reverb
125 memory locations, divided into 25 banks of 5 presets each
Facilitates direct recording without an extra amp
Adjustable autochromatic tuner
Stereo headphone output with adjustable volume
Extremely low-noise instrument input ensures maximum instrument signal integrity
Stereo 1/4" line outputs controlled by master volume for live use as guitar preamp

DV016_Jpg_Large_480692.jpg

Top Bottom