Baritone gCEA strings on a soprano ?

frukmana

Reaction score
Hi guys, my nephew "accidentally" cut off the strings on my soprano uke.
And i live in a place where it's really hard to find uke strings, i've to order from ebay which takes weeks.
Luckily (or not) I have a set of Aquila Nylgut gCEA baritone strings, im just wondering if i can put that on my soprano uke ?

When i look at the website the size is not that far different. But im still not sure whether to put it or not. Im afraid my uke will break.
Any opinions guys ? Is it ok to put it as it is ?

Thank you so much.

Not sure if it will work, but if it does, won't work well. The tension of those baritone strings are optimized for a baritone scale length.

Not sure if it will work, but if it does, won't work well. The tension of those baritone strings are optimized for a baritone scale length.

Hi Phil, thanks for the answer. With the tension thing, will it damages my soprano ?
Again thanks a lot. Mahalo

Hi Phil, thanks for the answer. With the tension thing, will it damages my soprano ?
Again thanks a lot. Mahalo

To get adequate tension with the thicker baritone stings, I presume you'd have to really crank-up the tension. I think you'd risk the bridge popping-off :eek:
I vote for waiting for new strings to arrive :)

To get adequate tension with the thicker baritone stings, I presume you'd have to really crank-up the tension. I think you'd risk the bridge popping-off :eek:
I vote for waiting for new strings to arrive :)

Well i think i just have to be patience :D i dont want my bridge to pop off :(
Thank you Paul!

This doesn't really answer your question, but I feel like the idea that strings for a larger instrument are necessarily beefier to be theoretically flawed.

If a string is designed to be at a given pitch at a given tension on a 19" Baritone scale, then shouldn't that same string at that same pitch on a 13" scale be at a much LOWER tension?

It would be like putting a capo on the bari at the 7th fret and down-tuning it back to gCEA pitch..lower tension.

This may or may not be flawed logic, and I haven't done the experiment, but if it were me, I would try it. Unless the uke is a treasure.

This doesn't really answer your question, but I feel like the idea that strings for a larger instrument are necessarily beefier to be theoretically flawed.

If a string is designed to be at a given pitch at a given tension on a 19" Baritone scale, then shouldn't that same string at that same pitch on a 13" scale be at a much LOWER tension?

It would be like putting a capo on the bari at the 7th fret and down-tuning it back to gCEA pitch..lower tension.

This may or may not be flawed logic, and I haven't done the experiment, but if it were me, I would try it. Unless the uke is a treasure.

Hi thanks for your answer. Its not a treasure or what, but at the moment its my only uke! Lol. Its hard to find decent uke here. Shipping costs and taxes always back me off whenever i want to buy uke.
I'll give it a try when i get another uke.
Thanks again. Peace

Top Bottom