Semi-custom kamaka tenor or complete custom (other brand)?

Reaction score
aloha! i am planning to have a kamaka special tenor... i really like the way kamaka sounds and im very confident that there will be a 99.99% chance that i will receive an ukulele without any problems... the only problem is, i am not very satisfied (the looks is also very important to me because i want other people to fall inlove with my ukulele... of course sound is the #1 priority but i also would love to have a very beautiful ukulele) with the very few options that they are offering..

so i searched and searched and i found other builders.. one of them is ana'ole ukuleles.. i've heard sound samples of these ukes online and they also sounded great.. i already contacted gareth and he approved all of the addons and custom options i have in mind and the configuration would cost me in the $3k range..so i kinda have a problem here.

any opinion guys? i know it's all about preference and i've heard this again and again from other people.. but what if you guys are in my position.. which decision are you going to make?

thanks guys!

Depends on what kind of sound you like....I'd go with a custom if youre spending over 2700...

Since you asked which decision I would make... if I had that kind of money to spend on a ukes, I'd get several from the likes of Ono, Covered Bridge, Makapili, Kinnard, Iriguchi, Griffin, Gill, etc. etc. In other words, no way would I spend that much on a single uke. But thats just me. Good luck on your search - that's half the fun at least. :)

There are many other top quality ukuleles that you should consider before making a decision. I'm a dealer of four brands, Ko'olau, KoAloha, LoPrinzi and DaSilva. All make ukuleles in your price range and beyond. All strive for consistent outstanding sound quality. I'd suggest you try their mid-range ukuleles instead of their custom shop. For example, a KoAloha tenor standard issue sells for $1250 from there you can go to their Red Label KoAloha or Black Label KoAloha and be in the many thousand dollar range. Yet, the sound quality of the three instruments is virtually the same. What you pay for is customization, premium materials and attention to detail. So if sound quality is number one, you should check out these other world class brands before making a decision.

If you ask me......I would get a complete custom uke........I could get a nice LFDM for 2700

I just received my Kamaka HF-3 special and I'm in love! But it didn't cost as much as yours, what options have you chosen?

I made a video of my Kamaka Special and I said "Special" meant overpriced. I own customs and they are better deals in my opinion.

I would rather go for a custom Ko'olau if you want a Hawaii made. or Mike Dasilva. or even a basic Moore Bettah if you can wait for his waiting list time.

I would rather go for a custom Ko'olau if you want a Hawaii made. or Mike Dasilva. or even a basic Moore Bettah if you can wait for his waiting list time.

I did not know that the Moore Bettah build list was opened,is he taking orders again?

If you are willing to spend that kind of money on a ukulele, I think you should get one that is exactly like you want. There is no reason for you to settle on an instrument that you don't love. Take your time and make a list of the options that are important and then you can pick the builder that best meets those appointments.

I just received my Kamaka HF-3 special and I'm in love! But it didn't cost as much as yours, what options have you chosen?

i chose long neck tenor with 4a koa ebony faceplate, fingerboard and bridge, inlaid name on the fretboard and fishman acoustic matrix pick up installed

Good for you! In the end I think you will be much happier with the custom.

This is the Kinnard I've just recently received and it sounds awesome and definitely catches the eye!

IMG_3016.jpeg

As much as I'd love to buy a Collings, Kinnard, Kamaka or other custom made Ukulele in that price range, I just can't seem to part with that much money for one instrument.

I agree with Jim Hanks, early in this thread, and I've done the same. I decided to just buy another Kala and I'm here to tell you, for $258 shipped from UkeRepublic, new strings from Southcoast for $15, installed a UK-300T preamp myself for $19, this thing sounds amazing!! Warm, rich, resonant. Solid cedar top, but laminate sides... I'm not sure I could tell the difference between it and another cedar topped custom. REALLY! I've tried!

I've been playing guitar for 30 years, Uke since 2008. My ability level is intermediate. Tone is in your fingers.

So I say buy Midlevel production instruments and have three or four of them. That way you can have a mahogany, cedar, spruce and maybe a soprano or two!

Good luck which ever way you go with it, the main thing is to PLAY PLAY PLAY!!! AND be HAPPY!

Top Bottom