8 string ukulele

jcs

Reaction score
hi, i have a pono 8 string with the low g and the low c as the first string in their sets. using worth clear strings, when i pick the low g hits the high g and the low c hits the high c, producing a buzz. so does anyone know of a cure? i think i need a higher tension low g and low c, any suggestions? thanks

Last edited:
I don't know if this will help, but try reversing the high and low strings. Most 8-stringers are strung gG cC EE AA, not Gg Cc EE AA.

- FiL

I'm a bit confused, here. You should have a normal G string and a low G string (one octave lower). You should also have a normal C string (middle C on a piano) and a higher C string (one octave higher).

They should be installed in the following order: G, low G, high C, C, E, E, A, A.

I have Worth clears on my 8 string, also, and have no issues with tension....

New nut or correct tension, I have the same problem with my 8 string bari, they just clang into each other and it sounds terrible. My 8 string Oscar Schmidt tenor is high G, LowG, High C, LowC, EE, AA its an Aquila 8 string set and I have never had a problem, the tension is perfect. You might want to try those

It sounds like you need a new nut cut with slightly wider string separation. See its not just the Vietnamese ukulele's that suffer from some QC issues. It happens to Pono's too but not so many people complain about their Pono's.

Anthony

Last edited:
Seems like the simple answer is different strings. While everyone seems to have favorite brands, changing the nut so they don't buzz is a lot of work just to stick with a favorite brand. My Oscar Schmidt 8 has Aquilas and like the other post said, no problems at all.

I've almost always used Aquilas on my Lanikai O-8E and I think they work very well. I've occasionally used a classical guitar D string to replace the (wound) low G string when the original has worn out faster than the other strings.

- FiL

I'm a bit confused, here. You should have a normal G string and a low G string (one octave lower). You should also have a normal C string (middle C on a piano) and a higher C string (one octave higher).

They should be installed in the following order: G, low G, high C, C, E, E, A, A.

I have Worth clears on my 8 string, also, and have no issues with tension....

that's how I have mine strung. I recently got a Peter Howlett 8 and I put on Southcoast 8U-NW [no wound]. they are suggested to be tuned to D, but I tuned it down to C, and they sound great, good tension and no buzzing, fingerpicked or strummed hard. and only $10.75 shipped too.

well thanks to all. i discussed widening the separation on the nut with a luthier seemed to be a fairly sensible idea to him. from another forum i got the suggestion of living water strings which had cured the same problem on an ohana 5 string . i have an 8 tuned the guitar way gG, cC, but i like the sound, and difference of Gg, Cc, especially when picking some songs. i havent tried the living water string set yet, but i have considerable respect for the informant, so i am very hopeful.

Top Bottom