Fret spacing comparisons.

mikelz777

Reaction score
Does anyone have a fret-spacing comparison between the different sized ukes? I'd be interested in the measurement comparison of the first 5 frets (starting at the headstock) for the soprano, concert and tenor sized ukes. I couldn't find anything here or on an internet search.

That is because there isn't much of a noticeable difference between them.. If you go by size, the fret spacing will be slightly larger if it is a tenor compared to a soprano. I have a tenor and a soprano, and the tenor is slightly longer, but not by much. So it goes from smallest to biggest : Soprano , concert, tenor, then baritone.
But the only way to really see, is by going to a music store. Don't just order online because you have to feel the ukulele... Feel the soul, hear the sound, feel the strings and board.. That is the only way.

NUMBER ONE RULE OF STRINGED INSTRUMENTS IS TO NEVER BUY ONLINE!!!

Okay that was an overstatement. But really, just go to a sam ash or something

For the LEHUA line I have done a rub of the frets on all of the different sizes. They all fit nicely on an 8 x 11 sheet of paper. It is very simple to see and compare the differences. If someone wants to cut them apart and glue them to a piece of cardboard to actually feel the different spacing, that can be done. I think the statement about not buying on line is erroneous. There are many, many honest reliable people who buy and sell on line. I can do the same for any uke I want to sell if someone wants to see the size of the first 11 inches.

That is because there isn't much of a noticeable difference between them.. If you go by size, the fret spacing will be slightly larger if it is a tenor compared to a soprano. I have a tenor and a soprano, and the tenor is slightly longer, but not by much. So it goes from smallest to biggest : Soprano , concert, tenor, then baritone.

I must be a princess & the pea sort of person, I really notice the difference between the different sizes. I could tell soprano would be too small for my fingers so bought a tenor as my first uke and quickly found the fret spacing too great for my hand. Concert is perfect for me however I have two concerts with very different fret spacing (and width). It matters to me because my fingers learn by muscle memory how far apart to be to hit the chords.

And I've bought all my ukes online. I've been lucky, I guess.

But the only way to really see, is by going to a music store. Don't just order online because you have to feel the ukulele... Feel the soul, hear the sound, feel the strings and board.. That is the only way.

If only that were so. Once you depart from the world of Asian made "stuff" (yeah, sure, some of it plays well enough for kicking around) and into the world of better instruments, there just aren't enough places that actually stock good ukes. So it's tough. I would amend the statement to: never buy an instrument on-line that you can't return!

Duk

... I have two concerts with very different fret spacing ...

This surprises me. I've only got one concert but thought for a given scale length the fret spacing was fixed.

I find I can more easily adapt to changes between soprano and concert than between concert and tenor. Tenor is just too much of a stretch for me.

Top Bottom