...Another low g question

zchay

Reaction score
I want to switch my high G tenor resonator ukulele into a low g.
1. I don't want to order the strings online
2. I don't want to rearrange my strings to CEGA

My question is, can I just buy a C string and tune it to g and replace my high G string?

Most likely you will find a "C" tuned down to "G" will be to floppy.
I would suggest buying a classical guitar "D" and tuning it to a low "G"
I like the LaBella flatwounds, no squeak and they are the same diam. as a plain high "G', so you don't need to modify the nut.

Most likely you will find a "C" tuned down to "G" will be to floppy.
I would suggest buying a classical guitar "D" and tuning it to a low "G"
I like the LaBella flatwounds, no squeak and they are the same diam. as a plain high "G', so you don't need to modify the nut.

Thanks for the reply! I will look into that

Why don't you want to order on-line?

You'll need to buy a low-G string. Either get a low-G ukulele string.. or if you can't find any locally... a Classical guitar's "D" (4th) string generally works as a G string for ukuleles.

You'll need to buy a low-G string. Either get a low-G ukulele string.. or if you can't find any locally... a Classical guitar's "D" (4th) string generally works as a G string for ukuleles.

Mr. Kissing, I'd like to know about the Classical D string as a low g. Does it work in all sizes ? Or just on tenor and baritone ?

I want to switch my high G tenor resonator ukulele into a low g.
1. I don't want to order the strings online
2. I don't want to rearrange my strings to CEGA

My question is, can I just buy a C string and tune it to g and replace my high G string?

I would recommend biting the bullet and ordering a set of aquila red series low G tenor strings
with those specific sets (which sound almost like a resonator on a non resonator uke) these should
sing like a mofo on your resonator and these strings have perfectly even sound on each string.

I would not recommend using a C string for your low G their not designed for that.

Aclassical guitar D string is a metal wound string that would squeak on a uke- it might be odd with only one then

What's so bad about ordering online? You can get a Low G thats made to ne a low G-
Aren't they in the music stores?
Check Guitar center online if there's any of those around

Aclassical guitar D string is a metal wound string that would squeak on a uke- it might be odd with only one then

What's so bad about ordering online? You can get a Low G thats made to ne a low G-
Aren't they in the music stores?
Check Guitar center online if there's any of those around

ya not sure we they don't want to order online. if your not down for online ordering than ukulele may not be the best instrument for you. depending on where you live you may not be able to find decent ukes in stores in your area or a goods selection of strings. I would recommend biting the bullet and ordering a set of Aquila red series low g for tenor uke or just the single string you can't go wrong.

Actually a classical guitar D string works great as low G on a uke - in fact, I preferred it until discovering the LaBella flat-wound low G strings recently. Sure, the guitar strings squeak, but they also project better and sound better than any of the uke-specific low G's I've tried except for the LaBella. A close second might be the Fremont Soloist "squeakless" uke low G string, but I find these lack volume somewhat.

When I first started playing low G, I thought the squeak was annoying and only sought out non-wound uke-specific strings. And you know what? I absolutely hated the low G sound, but had to keep playing it in one of the ensembles I play in. Then I discovered guitar D strings and my opinion did a total 180 - the sound was so much fuller than with the dull, floppy, flabby non-wound low G!

All of this to say - there are no rules. If it works for you - it works.

I ordered Living Water low-g strings online. The buying experience was smooth and the strings are a joy. In case you change your mind.

Top Bottom