New Martin Tenor !

suburude

Reaction score
What the best strings for my new (to me ) 1939 Martin tenor ??? Whats best for aall my Ukes ??? Thanks !!

Different string brands and types work best for different ukes. I would think that Martin's strings would be the most compatible with a MArtin uke....just sayin'
I've found Aquilas give me the best sound, feel, and are long lasting, but I don't have a Martin (yet)

Depends on if it's reentrant, linear; do you want a wound 3&4? Need more info. I found with my vintage Favilla, it liked the old style nylon 1&2. My vintage Martin Bari likes the flurocarbons.

my vintage Martin tenor likes worth browns (re-entrant). Then again I haven't tried but one other type of string on it.
it would probably sound ok with old shoelaces

I have little doubt Southcoast strings would make that Martin sing. If you like linear with a higher tension, Dirks new HML-RW are incredible. For a softer more mellow sound his ML-SW are nice. For reentrant, his HMU-W3 are nice. The 3rd string is wound.

The Savarez set that Collings uses might be nice - I find my mahogany Collings is a lot like an old Martin - in sound and feel.

Doug

What the best strings for my new (to me ) 1939 Martin tenor ??? Whats best for aall my Ukes ??? Thanks !!

Curious to know what strings you went with, and how you like them.

I'd try Martins, they're cheap and readily available...I have Martins on my '34 style 0 and my C1K and think they are the best! I put some Worth clears on the C1K and think they are more mellow, thicker and have more tension and less volume, I like Martins better.

Definitely agree with UkerDan on the Martins. I have a set on my Lanikai. I also dig Aquilas - I have a set on my soprano. It varies from person to person, and from ukulele to ukulele. Bottom line is, I think you should try what strings you can - and congratulations on your new uke! I'd love to see pictures.

Top Bottom