Aloha from Minnesota

pektel

Reaction score
Figured I would post a quick hello. Name's Peter, recently (back in March IIRC) rediscovered the ukulele. Before that time, I had only associated the ukulele with Iz's version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Which makeS sense, since my hometown of Grand Rapids is where Judy Garland was born. But I digress...

Bough my first like from HMS back in March. I went for the Kala SMHT, and I've been LOVING the sounds coming out from it. I can make my way through the standard Jake tunes (while my guitar gently weeps, Hallelujah, the non-effects parts of Dragon) but am always fine tuning strum patterns and dynamics. Just a few weeks ago started watching James Hill's version of Billie Jean. So I bought a Lanikai LU21-T just to have something with a low G at the ready.

Anyways, glad to have found this place. :)

Last edited:
Welcome, Peter! There are quite a few Minnesotans here at the best uke site, so, yay, another! Low G is terrific, isn't it?

Last edited:
It's a completely different animal than the traditional high g, that's for sure.

Since I have a background in guitars, I thought the transition would be smoother to start with the low g on the Kala. It Arrived, and I really liked it. Until I started learning a couple of Jake's arrangements. Since I had NO previous experience personally, it took a few days to realize my preferred strings are the high g set.

Both have their advantages (the bass line for James Hill 's Billie Jean comes to mind, Hotel California as well), and to me they're almost entirely different instruments.

But yes, I agree it's definitely a terrific addition. :)

Welcome to UU, Peter! There are quite a few Minnesotans on here. Glad you have joined us.

Greetings and welcome. Glad you joined us. Want to try something cool with that low g, learn Manitoba Hal's "Sixteen Tons Bluezified for the Ukulele."
Chi hi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpG0pEagry8

Wow, haven't heard any version of that song in many years. That does sound nice with the low G. Thanks for the link!

heck, that's even something to play along with for a Pentatonic refresher course on 4 differently tuned strings I'm normally used to.

Aloha, you betcha, glad you joined us. Greetings from the south part of the state. There are active groups in the cities and Two Harbors.

The uke sure helps blow the winter blues away.

Enjoy and keep us posted

Welcome to UU Peter, from England, hope you enjoy the forum and stay for a long time.
All the best.

Welcome.
Make sure to check out the regional get-togethers.
Ukulele World congress is a definite one you should come to

Aloha Peter,
Welcome to the UU and are humble forums...have fun and enjoy...alot of friendly and helpful members giving advice and then there's the deals in our ukulele marketplace..
Happy Strummings.

Top Bottom