New Bone Nut and Saddle for Kiwaya KS-0

mr79

Reaction score
Hey up,
A couple of weeks ago I grabbed a bargain Kiwaya KS-0 from a car boot sale... it was missing its nut, saddle and strings as the previous owner had a string buzz problem, attempted to fix it, and then given up.
01-IMG_1973.jpg
Anyway, over the past couple of weeks I've amused meself making a new bone nut and saddle for it. The hardest part was finding a long enough piece for the saddle, but luckily I remembered that when we first moved here (a converted flat in the top floor of a Victorian seafront house) I found a pincer type thing under the floorboards in the roof, which I was pretty sure were made out of bone. I took them to a friend of mine who deals in antiques to check they weren't valuable before I cut them up (they weren't!), and he confirmed that they were a pair of bone glove stretchers, probably ox bone from about 1880 (which is about when this house was built). I like that my uke will have a piece of our home's 130-year history in it!
02-IMG_1952.jpg
Each 'arm' was big enough to make a nut and saddle from each, so I had two runs at it if it went wrong. Another friend of mine has a KS-0, so I was able to take measurements from his... after that is was just a matter of cutting and filing. If you ever plan to do this (and especially if you use only hand tools like I did) be warned - there will be a lot of dust. A lot.

Anyway, the bone, being really old and aged, was beautiful to work, and smoothed up lovely. I don't have a buffing wheel, so polishing them foxed me for a while. In the end I rubbed them vigorously with whitening toothpaste on my finger, and then rubbed them up and down my be-jeaned thigh (!). It worked a treat!
03-IMG_1969.jpg05-IMG_1961.jpg06-IMG_1963.JPG
After that it was just a matter of fitting and restring with Worth browns... there was a lot of hard glue residue in both the nut and saddle slot I had to clean out first (not sure if that's a factory thing or the attempted repair by the previous owner. Interesting thing: my friend's KS-0 has a compensated saddle, factory fitted. But the compensation actually seems to make all his strings (Freemonts or Worths) really flat or really sharp at the 12th... I decided to make my saddle uncompensated, and it's almost spot on at the 12th for all strings. Why fit a compensated saddle if it's not going to do what a compensated saddle should?

I also carefully cleaned off the weird black paint the fingerboard had on it, revealing a lovely brown grained wood beneath it, which I then re-oiled with a beeswax/neatsfoot oil mix.

How does it sound? Like caramelised gold running down a sheet of mahogany... like angels singing inside a small wooden box... like I should practice more.

When I'm brave enough, I'll post up sound samples and maybe do a comparison review with the flat Bruko (almost exactly the same dimensions yet totally different sounds), and I think I may fit strap buttons (it's very easy to smother it!). But at the minute I am very pleased... anyway, thought some folks might be interested!

Be careful not to breathe in that bone dust , I don't think it's good for you. Nice job on the nut and saddle . I've done a few and really enjoyed doing it. I like your uke hanger/shelf gizmo.

Wow, that really cool to find that old bone. I talked to a scrimshaw artist in a small art town (eureka springs, ar) about what he used these days not being able to get ivory. He had some fossilized mammoth bone and some old ivory pieces from his grandfathers stash but he said he mainly worked with early 1900s Ox bone, some buffalo as well.

So I bought some of the newer ox bone recently in blanks from his source and made the saddle and nut for two of my ukes. It's pleasing work but always a bit frustrating as I keep thinking while working the bone "at any moment I could screw this up and have to start over!"

Great work!

Be careful not to breathe in that bone dust , I don't think it's good for you. Nice job on the nut and saddle . I've done a few and really enjoyed doing it. I like your uke hanger/shelf gizmo.

seconded on the cool shelf you cooked up.

Great work!
BTW - your friend's saddle might be accidentally flipped (facing the wrong direction).

Thanks all!

Pukulele Pete - yes, the dust is very unpleasant! I ended up cobbling a basic extractor by duct-taping my hoover's nozzle to my bench next to the vice so as much dust as possible was hoovered straight up... it looked funny, but it seemed to work!

flyingace - I was convinced (especially when I them both sized and was at the final polishing stage) that I was going to break them and have to start over! I think it was only because I knew I had enough to start over that it went so well.

And PP & Bnolsen - the shelf is made from two planks from an old packing pallet. It took about half an hour, but suits the shoddiness, erm... I mean rustic nature of the rest of my DIY efforts!

Does anyone know if friction tuners would slot right in in place of the geared tuners? This is my first uke with gears, and I don't think I'm liking them... I know it'd leave tiny screwholes, but I'm more worried that, because the Kiwaya's got such a small headstock, the friction tuners would hit and foul each other as they turned. Can you get friction tuners with miniature buttons? I've googled this a lot but can't find out!

Great work!
BTW - your friend's saddle might be accidentally flipped (facing the wrong direction).

We tried flipping it, and it got worse! I just think Kiwaya have thrown in a compensated saddle because it looks high end, but it's no better - in fact seems to be worse - than an uncompensated one... of course, he might have just got a rogue bad one.

Does anyone know if friction tuners would slot right in in place of the geared tuners? This is my first uke with gears, and I don't think I'm liking them... I know it'd leave tiny screwholes, but I'm more worried that, because the Kiwaya's got such a small headstock, the friction tuners would hit and foul each other as they turned. Can you get friction tuners with miniature buttons? I've googled this a lot but can't find out!

You might check these out. The tuner buttons are fairly small on these.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Ukulele_tuners/Waverly_Ukulele_Friction_Pegs.html?tab=Specs

Nice job! Gotohs would be great but might cost more than you paid for it.

Nice job! Gotohs would be great but might cost more than you paid for it.

Yeah... now that I've had a good look around replacing the tuners seems a bit silly - that's money that could go towards a KTS-4 (now I've had one Kiwaya I'm smitten!). I think I might look at making some replacement tuner buttons though, maybe out of ebony (unless anyone knows of a more suitable hardwood that'd work?). The white plastic ones are quite badly finished, and I like making fiddly things and I'm really enjoying making this uke my own - maybe it'll even stop me from selling it to fund a new one!

Top Bottom