NUD: KoAloha "Pikake" Concert

teruterubouzu

Reaction score
I've been dreaming of a KoAloha since I first came across them here on UU. One of my UU friends was kind enough to let me play his when he was in town for Aldrine's show in October and it made me want one even more. Thanks misterpk!

So I started saving up. With Christmas coming, I figured I'd have to wait until the new year to treat myself. Then I helped Andrew from HMS with a question he had and he very generously gave me a credit to his store. With that bump, I decided it was time to order. Merry Christmas to me!

I knew I wanted a concert. Then came the tough part, the gloss or the Pikake version? I watched videos, read reviews and decided on the Pikake. It arrived last week and I am in love.

It's a gorgeous ukulele, but the sound just blows me away. I can't believe such sweetness and depth comes from an instrument that is so light. It's been a great motivator to practice and makes doing the daily UU+ sessions even more fun.

It's been grey here, so I kept putting off the post until I could get good light to take photos. No luck on that front. Instead, these iPhone snaps will have to do. You can also view high quality shots on HMS' site.

10925535374_70cf806a40.jpg

10925464366_7d78a63b99.jpg

10925401725_d85cb37368.jpg

My lovely ukulele still needs a name. I started playing ukulele to help deal with the stress of my mom's illness. She died this spring and I want to name this ukulele in honor of her. If anyone has any good ideas for a Hawaiian word appropriate for this, please let me know!

Last edited:
Gorgeous. The sweetness and depth is there "because" it is light! Nice choice. You can buff that one up a little for a rich low gloss if you had trouble deciding....best of both.

Pretty, and I just love the KoAloha sound! Interesting that your Pikake has the crown edged fretboard vs the straight cut one. When did they change that? Anyhow, it's beautiful. Enjoy! :)

Last edited:
Wow and congrats. It looks gorgeous. Just getting around to post at 7 in the morning - must have been up late trying it out!

Enjoy!

Beautiful, congrats.

Gorgeous. The sweetness and depth is there "because" it is light! Nice choice. You can buff that one up a little for a rich low gloss if you had trouble deciding....best of both.

Thank you. I never really thought about how the lightness would effect the sound before. Makes sense.

Pretty, and I just love the KoAloha sound! Interesting that your Pikake has the crown edged fretboard vs the straight cut one. When did they change that? Anyhow, it's beautiful. Enjoy! :)

I think they changed to the crown about a year or so ago. I really wanted that design element so I'm happy about it.

Wow and congrats. It looks gorgeous. Just getting around to post at 7 in the morning - must have been up late trying it out!

Enjoy!

Beautiful, congrats.

Congrats yes very good choice, enjoy.

Thank you! I am in love with it.

I've been dreaming of a KoAloha since I first came across them here on UU. One of my UU friends was kind enough to let me play his when he was in town for Aldrine's show in October and it made me want one even more. Thanks misterpk!

So I started saving up. With Christmas coming, I figured I'd have to wait until the new year to treat myself. Then I helped Andrew from HMS with a question he had and he very generously gave me a credit to his store. With that bump, I decided it was time to order. Merry Christmas to me!

I knew I wanted a concert. Then came the tough part, the gloss or the Pikake version? I watched videos, read reviews and decided on the Pikake. It arrived last week and I am in love.

It's a gorgeous ukulele, but the sound just blows me away. I can't believe such sweetness and depth comes from an instrument that is so light. It's been a great motivator to practice and makes doing the daily UU+ sessions even more fun.

It's been grey here, so I kept putting off the post until I could get good light to take photos. No luck on that front. Instead, these iPhone snaps will have to do. You can also view high quality shots on HMS' site.

10925535374_70cf806a40.jpg

10925464366_7d78a63b99.jpg

10925401725_d85cb37368.jpg

My lovely ukulele still needs a name. I started playing ukulele to help deal with the stress of my mom's illness. She died this spring and I want to name this ukulele in honor of her. If anyone has any good ideas for a Hawaiian word appropriate for this, please let me know!

Call it Bill. As in, 'it fits the bill'. :)

Not Hawaiian, but, hey.

Awfully pretty, Amy. You gotta come to StrumMn and show it off. KoAlohas sound so beautiful.

Lovely 'ukulele. KoAloha make them sweet. I love the pikake finish choice. You'll find that after a few months of playing it will start to show the love you give it by taking a low shine where you strum it. My KoAlana has buffed to low gloss where I strum and where my arm brushes it behind the bridge. Makes it look like I am serious about my playing. (Well, I am, but I'm not courageous enough to show it yet.) For me, looks and bling are secondary to the instrument's voice. KoAlohas all seem sweet and strong.

As for a name? How about something in the Hawaiian language of dreams or the spirit?

I named the 'uke I picked up on the Big Island a few weeks ago "Ikaika." It means "strong" but it also was the name of a cat who lived for many years at the resort where we stayed. Ikaika was a big, strong cat who was friendly to guests, had a good voice, and lived a long life. The name brings on fond memories.

Call it Bill. As in, 'it fits the bill'. :)

Not Hawaiian, but, hey.

I like it, but I don't think it suits her. My mainland is named Watty because it is a boy, but this ukulele is definitely a girl.

Awfully pretty, Amy. You gotta come to StrumMn and show it off. KoAlohas sound so beautiful.

Thanks, Sukie. I meant to go this week, but had to work late. :)

Lovely 'ukulele. KoAloha make them sweet. I love the pikake finish choice. You'll find that after a few months of playing it will start to show the love you give it by taking a low shine where you strum it. My KoAlana has buffed to low gloss where I strum and where my arm brushes it behind the bridge. Makes it look like I am serious about my playing. (Well, I am, but I'm not courageous enough to show it yet.) For me, looks and bling are secondary to the instrument's voice. KoAlohas all seem sweet and strong.

As for a name? How about something in the Hawaiian language of dreams or the spirit?

I named the 'uke I picked up on the Big Island a few weeks ago "Ikaika." It means "strong" but it also was the name of a cat who lived for many years at the resort where we stayed. Ikaika was a big, strong cat who was friendly to guests, had a good voice, and lived a long life. The name brings on fond memories.

Thank you for the naming ideas. They get me thinking.

I love what you said about how it will get a bit of shine after giving it some love. Looking forward to that.

Woo! Welcome to the family! So glad I helped you make your decision to buy a KoAloha! I'm so happy that you are loving it!

http://www.alohafriends.com/names_traditional.html

That site has all the names, pronounciations and meanings. That could help you get a head start. :)

Thanks, Nick! Your uke really cemented the decision and made me start the savings account. I'm going to have to check out that name site.

Congratulations on your new Koaloha! Can't beat an early Christmas present like that. The have a great tone, and feel so light. Great choice!

I have one too. and I love it. It has tone and volume that beat a lot of tenors. I just got mine a big brother, a Koaloha tenor. Too bad they no longer have the crown bridge, mine just has a plain one that looks the same as a Kala, but it sure sounds wonderful. I heard it was too much trouble to finish them with all the points.

The engraved bridge is classy. Also love the crown points at the body end of the finger board. Great 'ukulele from the mountain to the ocean, from the windward to the leeward side.

Congratulations on a beautiful instrument; I just love the pikake finish. I know you'll find the perfect name.

Congrats! I can almost hear it play....hmmmm....sweet sounding!

The Pikake Concert was my first high-end uke and still my favorite concert. KoAloha makes one of the best concerts on the planet and it will become a close friend. Enjoy!

Congratulations on your new Koaloha! Can't beat an early Christmas present like that. The have a great tone, and feel so light. Great choice!

Thank you. Can't wait until I can play well enough to really take advantage of the tone.

I have one too. and I love it. It has tone and volume that beat a lot of tenors. I just got mine a big brother, a Koaloha tenor. Too bad they no longer have the crown bridge, mine just has a plain one that looks the same as a Kala, but it sure sounds wonderful. I heard it was too much trouble to finish them with all the points.

The tenors are so nice. You are right about the volume. I only play at home, but it can really be loud when I want it that way.

The engraved bridge is classy. Also love the crown points at the body end of the finger board. Great 'ukulele from the mountain to the ocean, from the windward to the leeward side.

I would love it even without those details, but they are like the jewelry. It's a pleasure to look at as well as play. I'm sure there will be another KoAloha in my future.

Congratulations on a beautiful instrument; I just love the pikake finish. I know you'll find the perfect name.

Thank you! Yes, the name will come. I will know when it's right.

Congrats! I can almost hear it play....hmmmm....sweet sounding!

Haha. It isn't always so sweet when I play, but I have my moments. :)

The Pikake Concert was my first high-end uke and still my favorite concert. KoAloha makes one of the best concerts on the planet and it will become a close friend. Enjoy!

That is a good testimonial. It was a big decision for me, and a big expense, so it's nice to hear from people who have had them for awhile. I feel like I picked the right ukulele for me.

Awesome! Really happy for you.

Thanks, Kyle. We started playing within a week or so of each other. Glad we are both still here learning and getting better. Happy Thanksgiving!

Top Bottom