PDA

View Full Version : Mainland Ukes owners club

Link
01-22-2009, 03:23 PM
In response to all the new clubs, I have created one for us Mainland owners.

Group name: "Mainland Ukes" players
Slogan: "Yeah, my wood is solid"

hahahaa

SailQwest
01-22-2009, 03:29 PM
I'm in!!! :D

ritzer012
01-22-2009, 03:36 PM
what do you guys think of yours? sound? quality? im saving up for a mainland

Kanaka916
01-22-2009, 03:41 PM
what do you guys think of yours? sound? quality? im saving up for a mainland
See this thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8309) for opinions

thejumpingflea
01-22-2009, 03:42 PM

Group name: "Mainland Ukes" players

Haha sweetness.

Yep, the club thing is now out of hand. I love it. :D

ritzer012
01-22-2009, 03:55 PM
ive seen that thread

Link
01-22-2009, 04:11 PM
They ruuuule! See my video review on the youtube channel in my sig for my full opinion.

Post your pics!
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=158&pictureid=990

Don't mind the stupid look on my face.. that day I got 1 hour of sleep. Haha.

ritzer012
01-22-2009, 05:14 PM
sweet thanks link!

Bassukuguy
01-22-2009, 08:33 PM
*in a small voice* i want to be like you...

Stackabones
01-22-2009, 09:10 PM
UAS UAS UAS

:nana:

experimentjon
01-22-2009, 09:24 PM
And these will soon be avaliable in the UU store as well. They have teasers out already.

Bassukuguy
01-22-2009, 09:29 PM
unless someone would like to donate to the Bassukuguy would really enjoy a mainland uke fund im broke, damn student loans creeping up on me without my knowledge.

jppino
01-23-2009, 04:57 AM
MUOC rules!!!

Link
06-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Hey new Mainland owners:

Join the group! Post you pics to the group page!

hoosierhiver
06-23-2009, 09:59 AM
I'd like to eventually make a Mainland poster of pics of happy customers!

RevWill
06-23-2009, 10:03 AM
I just joined the group but I don't have a Mainland

yet.

But I will. And I would happily be photographed for hh's poster.

KC8AFW
06-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Hey new Mainland owners:

Done did it...I figured out you have to add the photo to you album first before you can add it to the group.

Suggestion: We should get the Mainland Ukes logo for the group icon.

I'd like to eventually make a Mainland poster of pics of happy customers!

That's gonna be one honkin' big poster (or have really small pictures).:smileybounce:

DeG
06-23-2009, 04:52 PM
My wood is solid! I'm in!:D

JT_Ukes
06-23-2009, 05:17 PM
If someone would send me a Mainland Uke.. Soprano would be fine, (partial to the mahogany) I'd be glad to join your fine club.

JT

RON<>VA
06-23-2009, 05:54 PM

Does the slogan apply to ALL members?;)

DeG
06-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Does the slogan apply to ALL members?;)

HA! I see what you did there! All "Members"...that's funny right there, I don't care who you are...:D

JT_Ukes
06-23-2009, 06:40 PM
HA! I see what you did there! All "Members"...that's funny right there, I don't care who you are...:D

D'oh!

how did I miss a big one like that?

UKISOCIETY
06-24-2009, 01:24 AM
I own one of each size. Guess I better join!

Ahnko Honu
06-24-2009, 01:32 AM
With my new Mainland pineapple I have reason now. ;)

SmokeyStubbs
06-24-2009, 06:50 AM
Thanks to UU I can join this group, and have.
Mainland rocks!!!

UkuEroll
06-24-2009, 07:34 AM
I'll join as soon as mine arrives. Gagging for it lolz

caz
06-24-2009, 12:38 PM
I just got my Mainland concert mahogany the other day. It's lovely.

Link
06-24-2009, 01:04 PM
[QUOTE=KC8AFW;159662]Suggestion: We should get the Mainland Ukes logo for the group icon.
QUOTE]

I'll do that when I get home.. if I remember... and figure out how...

Hahaha.

Luna
06-24-2009, 03:21 PM
I love my Mainland. And it only has one millimeter crack in the headstock despite all the times I've bumped it. (Though as much as I love my uke, I still fell in love with the tenor Kala at the store...)

dnt.thnk.twce
06-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Here's mine!!

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=400&pictureid=2338

Just got a nice lightweight foam case for it from MGM today!

Spooner
06-24-2009, 06:51 PM
I've just captured the Mainland Uke Club flag and am going to clean my Pineapple Sunday with it. :p

Link
06-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Oh thems fightin' werdzzzzz!

actaylor
06-25-2009, 06:07 AM
OK, I'm a new member...my Mainland mahogany concert arrived this morning!

UkuEroll
06-26-2009, 12:43 AM
I've just captured the Mainland Uke Club flag and am going to clean my Pineapple Sunday with it. :p

But I thought we are Allies :p

Denno
07-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Time to bump this thread with a few more highres pics of my mahogny gloss concert. :)
Enjoy.

http://i30.tinypic.com/23kcbde.jpg

http://i27.tinypic.com/23iaq79.jpg

http://i31.tinypic.com/4qsldx.jpg

Link
07-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Awesome pics Denno. I want that phone, haha.

Uncle-Taco
07-08-2009, 04:07 PM
LOVE IT!
My "copy cat" of it should be here Friday. It's going to be sooooo hard not to slip out of the office early! ;)

MangoMon
07-08-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm inspired. Tomorrow I'll try to get some good pics of my Mainland concert. So far my pictures don't do the wood grain justice and are unworthy of posting. Thanks Denno. Sweet pics.:bowdown:

Link
09-28-2009, 05:20 PM
62 members strong, ya'll! Any double owners? I adopt the newest member to my family tomorrow, a Mainland Honeybee soprano. 2nd Mainland for me, surely not the last with the new Mangos and slotted headstocks coming out.

N00bs, join up!

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=22

RevWill
09-28-2009, 05:33 PM
The cedar tenor has really doused the flames on my UAS for a while. It's so lovely, so perfect. My wife loves it - she tolerates the Fluke, but she really loves the Mainland.

KC8AFW
09-28-2009, 05:47 PM
62 members strong, ya'll! Any double owners? I adopt the newest member to my family tomorrow, a Mainland Honeybee soprano. 2nd Mainland for me, surely not the last with the new Mangos and slotted headstocks coming out.

N00bs, join up!

I'll be a double owner by the end of the week (hopefully). I'll post pics of my new honeybee when she gets here. :D

veep
09-28-2009, 05:51 PM
I want a Mainland .

lespaul_79
09-28-2009, 07:26 PM

Sorry about the stupid question, but what is a Pineapple Sunday? Link to one out there?

Raygf
09-29-2009, 12:09 AM
Sorry about the stupid question, but what is a Pineapple Sunday? Link to one out there?

http://www.koaloha.com/Signature_Line/PineappleSunday.html

Regards,
Ray

RevWill
09-29-2009, 07:14 AM
Here's a desktop wallpaper I made for myself using photos from our club and ukereview

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/wilkat1/uke.jpg

veep
09-29-2009, 07:20 AM
Here's a desktop wallpaper I made for myself using photos from our club and ukereview

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/wilkat1/uke.jpg

cool;););)

RevWill
09-29-2009, 07:22 AM
Picasa's collage feature makes it worth the download.

lespaul_79
09-29-2009, 07:25 AM
Nice wallpaper.....

Ok.... so I'm going to go for the Mainland and hopefully join this very happy club soon. I'm leaning towards the Pineapple Mahogany, but volume and tone are huge for me.

Is the pineapple going to be a little more louder b/c of the larger body size? I jam with other folks a lot and hate to bang on the uke too hard to hear myself.

Very excited about this. Seems like the Mainland Soprano is awesome.:drool:

RevWill
09-29-2009, 07:31 AM
Give Mike a call. I'm sure he'd be happy to play some samples for you over the phone and give you his expert opinion. I think (and I speak with no experience but having read others' opinions) that the pineapple will sound both a little louder and warmer because of the bigger top and internal sound chamber. Having said that, all Mainlands are impressively loud and sweet.

hoosierhiver
09-29-2009, 07:31 AM
Love the collage!!~

RevWill
09-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Love the collage!!~

Love the ukes! I'll bet it's nice to see your work so appreciated. You're doing it right.

lespaul_79
09-29-2009, 07:36 AM
I'm just obsessing. Sorry. Serious UAS going on.
The pineapple will be the one. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UKISOCIETY
09-29-2009, 07:51 AM

N00bs, join up!

In my Mainland family:

-Mahogany soprano
-Red Cedar concert
-Red Cedar tenor
and soon..
- a mango to be named later! :)

RevWill
09-29-2009, 08:05 AM
In my Mainland family:

-Mahogany soprano
-Red Cedar concert
-Red Cedar tenor
and soon..

I think the red cedar is gorgeous looking and sounding, and the koa (?) strip below the rope is a classy touch.

C'mon Mainlanders! Join the club and upload pics!

Susie A
09-29-2009, 08:15 AM
I put Kala Reds on my Honeybee and she sounds BEAUTIFUL. This was my first uke purchase and I think I made a wise decision. The tone and action are great. Makes learning to play a real pleasure.

Link
09-29-2009, 09:41 AM
In my Mainland family:

-Mahogany soprano
-Red Cedar concert
-Red Cedar tenor
and soon..
Holy cow! You are the lord amongst us!

Captain_Lovehandles
09-29-2009, 10:54 AM
I agree. And "later" is such a cool name.

NatalieLin6
09-29-2009, 11:16 AM
In my Mainland family:

-Mahogany soprano
-Red Cedar concert
-Red Cedar tenor
and soon..
Wow, I'd like to be part of that family! I have only have 1, a Mahogany Concert. I am hoping to own many more though.

grasshopper
09-29-2009, 01:06 PM
I had to return my Mainland mahogany concert uke today because I noticed a slight defect in it. I still believe they're of great quality, though, and Mike was totally cool about taking the uke back. He also agreed to exchange it with a red cedar top soprano. I'm so stoked! I find their customer service to be superb and that's one of many reasons why I'm sticking with Mainland. My wood remains solid! MAINLAND RULES!

Ankaret
10-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Well...I broke down with a case of UAS this morning and bought a Matte Mahog Tenor with nickel/ebony tuners and an alligator case...can't wait for Thursday! :drool:

EucalyptusMint
10-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Just ordered a mahogany tenor :D
should be here next weekend!!

KC8AFW
10-08-2009, 03:49 PM
I noticed that Amber Nash (ukebucket) is sporting a Mainland mahogany uke in her latest video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-j_BSYsb_w

mangorockfish
10-08-2009, 04:39 PM
I got my mahogany gloss concert two weeks ago Friday from Uke Republic. FANTASTIC instrument!!!. So classy looking and the sound is the best. I don't know how to post pics so there aren't any. I joined the club as well as the Southeast Ukers. Hope to get to meet some of you in person sometime.

Nuprin
10-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Got myself one of the Honeybee seconds...such a great uke! Count me as a proud and happy Mainland Uke owner!

UKISOCIETY
10-10-2009, 03:13 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2441/3999788148_aca91d4286_b.jpg
Concert Mango, Concert Red Cedar, Soprano Mahogany, Tenor Red Cedar

grasshopper
10-14-2009, 05:13 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2441/3999788148_aca91d4286_b.jpg
Concert Mango, Concert Red Cedar, Soprano Mahogany, Tenor Red Cedar

The two red cedars look so different in color. Is this a lighting thing or are they really that different? I'm expecting to receive my Red Cedar Soprano soon and I'm curious to know what it's going to look like. They both look nice.:)

RevWill
10-14-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm sure some of it is the lighting. The red cedar is almost like flip-flop paint; it seems to change colors as you view it from different angles because the light hits it differently. In person it's almost the color of honey.

blueUke
10-14-2009, 06:29 PM
So which color does it really look like in real life?
The 2nd one in the pic (Concert Red Cedar) or the 4th one (Tenor Red Cedar)?

If you're playing in a loud place or in a big jam session, which soprano cuts through more on a solo, the Mahagony or the Red Cedar?

RevWill
10-15-2009, 03:21 AM
It looks more like the tenor in real life, but again its character is difficult to capture in a still photo.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=543&pictureid=3310

See how mine looks like the color of the concert at the closer edge, and more like the tenor as it gets farther away? Because of the character and grain of the wood the color seems to change as you view it from different angles. But in general it looks like this:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=543&pictureid=3338

UKISOCIETY
10-15-2009, 03:27 AM
Sorry guys, I haven't had time to compare my tenor and concert red cedar colors, but I believe they're both the same. the camera angle made them look a bit different in my photo.

RevWill
10-15-2009, 03:43 AM
Oh, and the cedar will probably cut through better in a jam session with other ukes. Mahogany tends to have a mellower tone while cedar leans more toward the bright side.

Lori
10-16-2009, 05:31 AM
I just got my Mango Mainland Concert last night. I haven't had much time with it yet, but it sounds really nice. What cases/ gig bags have you all been using for the concert size Mainland? I tried it out in my concert sized Uke Crazy foam hard case, and there was quite a bit of extra space around the sound box. I don't want it that loose for a hard shell case. Should I go with a gig bag?

First impressions on the Mango is that Mango definitely has it's own quality to the sound. I have a Kala Mango Tenor, and this new Mainland concert Mango shares the same unique lower end tonal quality... a kind of mellow, underwatery sound. I will have more time with it on the weekend, but so far, I really like it. My husband has taken a special interest in this one too. I think he likes this one the best.

–Lori

UKISOCIETY
10-16-2009, 05:44 AM
I just got my Mango Mainland Concert last night. I haven't had much time with it yet, but it sounds really nice. What cases/ gig bags have you all been using for the concert size Mainland? I tried it out in my concert sized Uke Crazy foam hard case, and there was quite a bit of extra space around the sound box. I don't want it that loose for a hard shell case. Should I go with a gig bag?

First impressions on the Mango is that Mango definitely has it's own quality to the sound. I have a Kala Mango Tenor, and this new Mainland concert Mango shares the same unique lower end tonal quality... a kind of mellow, underwatery sound. I will have more time with it on the weekend, but so far, I really like it. My husband has taken a special interest in this one too. I think he likes this one the best.

–Lori

I've got Mainlands in all the available woods and I think that Mango is my favorite. Your sound description is the best I can think of. It's different from the mahogany and red cedar. Although not a bright sound, the mango RINGS when played - such a resonance!

As for a case, my mango concert fits snug and secure in the alligator case from Mainland.

fergs1
10-16-2009, 06:32 AM
Greetings, I am waiting on a mango sop(all the concerts had gone, greedy buggers:D) and looking forward to it. I like a mellow but resonant and yet loud uke (sounds loke an oxymoron) but I know my Kiwaya has that quality.By the way Alan you have a PM.
cheers fergs

EucalyptusMint
10-18-2009, 04:11 PM
I just received my mahogany gloss tenor! It looks beautiful !
I thought I would hate the rope binding, but it looks great in person. It's not white like in the pictures, it's more of a creamy ivory color that fits perfectly with the mahogany.

edit after spending a bit more time with it:
There are a few cosmetic issues, some scratches and whatnot. The frets are a bit jagged, can definitely feel the difference between the mainland and my friend's kala solid mahogany tenor from mgm
I'll live, though

phanzo
10-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Hey new Mainland owners:

I bought my 1st Mainland from a fellow Underground'er yesterday. It should arrive on Monday or Tuesday. So excited!

I had been wanting a Mainland Tenor w/ pickup but decided I would wait a few more weeks and get a Kanile'a or KoAloha Tenor or SC instead.

Then I came across "d-mace" selling a factory second Honeybee Soprano with undersaddle PU. Figured I would pick that bad boy up to hold me over until I get my K.

What strings do you all prefer on your Mainlands?

I think he has Worth's on there right now. I have only used Aquilas on my previous ukes so I'm interested to try out some new kinds of strings. :shaka:

ukecantdothat
10-22-2009, 04:45 PM
My gloss mahogany concert just arrived today. When UPS said it would be no later than "the end of the day" I had no idea it would actually be "the end of the day" - 6:00pm on the nose. It's every bit as nice as you've seen / heard. Got 'er strings all stretched & tuned and the next step is testing out the pickup thru my Twin Reverb (I'm putting it thru my 1969 Marshall after that! OVERKILL? Yep. Sure is.). If it sounds good thru those, it's going to sing thru a PA. Might have to wait until tomorrow for the amp tests cuz the kids are going to bed soon. Like The Edge said, "It might get loud..."

Can't wait.

mangorockfish
10-22-2009, 05:20 PM
My gloss mahogany concert just arrived today. When UPS said it would be no later than "the end of the day" I had no idea it would actually be "the end of the day" - 6:00pm on the nose. It's every bit as nice as you've seen / heard. Got 'er strings all stretched & tuned and the next step is testing out the pickup thru my Twin Reverb (I'm putting it thru my 1969 Marshall after that! OVERKILL? Yep. Sure is.). If it sounds good thru those, it's going to sing thru a PA. Might have to wait until tomorrow for the amp tests cuz the kids are going to bed soon. Like The Edge said, "It might get loud..."

Can't wait.

Did you get the MiSi? I also have a concert like yours that Mike is going to put a MiSi in. I have the Evil Twin amp/25 wts one channel and 100 in the other, but I bought a 30 wt Fender Acoustasonic for mine. Let us know how yours sounds through the Twin.

ukecantdothat
10-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Did you get the MiSi? I also have a concert like yours that Mike is going to put a MiSi in. I have the Evil Twin amp/25 wts one channel and 100 in the other, but I bought a 30 wt Fender Acoustasonic for mine. Let us know how yours sounds through the Twin.
Yes, yes, the MiSi. The Acoustasonic is probably more appropriate than the Twin. I actually took out 3 of the four tubes in my Twin to bring it down from 100w to 25w and it still kicks some serious butt. I've been shaping the sound with an outboard EQ and then into the amp/PA. That's one of the things I really like about the idea behind the MiSi - it's a pre-amp, but no funky little EQ sliders, and best of all, no battery compartment. I'll let you know how it sounds amped, and let me know how the Acoustasonic sounds once you get your Mainland wired up.

OK, back to the woodshred, er, uh, woodshed...

EucalyptusMint
10-23-2009, 10:54 AM
What strings do you all prefer on your Mainlands?

I think he has Worth's on there right now. I have only used Aquilas on my previous ukes so I'm interested to try out some new kinds of strings. :shaka:

My mahogany tenor came stock with aquilas, which I didn't like at all. I ordered the d'addario j71 and a set of worth clears and currently have the d'addarios on the mainland. The sound changed dramatically; it's a lot mellower and smoother, fuller, etc. compared to the brittle sound of the aquilas. Next time I'll put on the worths and see how that goes

Enjoy your mainland :)

Sic_Rob
01-08-2010, 10:07 AM
UAS UAS UAS

:nana:

Can you please let me know what UAS means? I am obviously a newbie so i haven't learned yet.

Rzr
01-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Can you please let me know what UAS means? I am obviously a newbie so i haven't learned yet.

Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome

Jake DPR
08-01-2010, 07:27 PM
So, I am one delivery away from being a club member. I'm waiting for My Mainland Red Cedar Concert and I am feeling a bit antsy in the pantsy lol

Chris Tarman
08-01-2010, 07:42 PM
So, I am one delivery away from being a club member. I'm waiting for My Mainland Red Cedar Concert and I am feeling a bit antsy in the pantsy lol

Waiting for a new uke SUCKS! But it's so nice when that truck finally pulls up. Welcome to the club!

GaryC1968
08-02-2010, 06:08 AM
After a long week of work, the UPS truck pulled up Friday evening and delivered my Mainland Baritone Uke!!! I'm afraid my Lanikai and Samick baritones won't be seeing much use. The Mainland is one nice looking and beautiful sounding instrument!

Chris Tarman
08-02-2010, 06:09 AM
Congratulations Gary!

raecarter
08-02-2010, 11:17 AM
My mainland is my 3rd child

Jake DPR
08-02-2010, 12:51 PM
just got notification that it will arrive thursday. I am at the beach till friday, so that will be nice to come home to!

schubs
08-02-2010, 02:52 PM
After looking at this thread, I now have Mainland UAS. Thanks guys.

mangorockfish
08-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Mainlands RULE!!!!!!

MarySue
08-04-2010, 07:36 AM
After looking at this thread, I now have Mainland UAS. Thanks guys.

Could be worse. This thread just made me pull the trigger on a Mainland mahogany concert.

Ah, well, you know what they say about money-- the more you love something, the more you should let it go...

Raygf
08-04-2010, 08:33 AM
This thread made me take out my Mainland Mahogany Pineapple and play it a bit just now. What a great little ukulele. I've been considering a Mainland red cedar concert or tenor with pickup, but alas, no funds in the bank-o-ray for an ukulele purchase right now. Someday . . .
Regards,
Ray

MarySue
08-11-2010, 07:15 AM
The guys down at my receiving dock called to let me know my package had arrived. There was a grand un-boxing and many confused looks (they know I'm odd down there, but they didn't think I was quite *this* odd).

And then much laughter as I played one of the few songs that I know how to play without the chord list in front of me-- "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash, followed by a fingerpicked "Simple Gifts" that shut them up.

Seriously, though, it's gorgeous. I thought I'd 'settled' for the gloss coat, now I'm thrilled I got it. It brings out the beautiful grain in the wood. The sound is amazing (especially in the acoustic nightmare that is my warehouse!) and it managed to travel from Indiana to Oregon still in tune.

I have to actually do work now, so I haven't gotten a chance to put it through its paces. Lunch is in about an hour, though...

olgoat52
08-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Rode the Harley down to Nashville IN from Chicago last Thurday afternoon, spent the night, (stayed at the brown county inn and ate at the Pine room, great beers, pool tables and pretty good food.)

Visited Mike on Friday morning first thing. Played several off the wall and picked out a mango concert. A Cedar soprano off the wall sounded so great that I couldn't leave it behind. So I got them both with cases. Didn't have the time to wait for them to be setup and riding them back on the bike would have been a bit too much so Mike shipped them.

Some great roads to ride in the area. Had a great time. Hotter'n hell coming back home on Friday.

The "two ukes" (as in "My Cousin Vinnie") arrived today, unshattered by UPS. Setup is great and the play very nicely.

Thanks to Mike for a great transaction and great product. http://s813.photobucket.com/albums/zz51/olgoat52/ukuleles/?albumview=slideshow

luvdat
08-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Have come up with a new slogan for Mainlands..."Buy 'em 2 at a Time!" That's essentially what I did!!!

Chris Tarman
08-12-2010, 05:34 AM
Have come up with a new slogan for Mainlands..."Buy 'em 2 at a Time!" That's essentially what I did!!!

Luvdat, I've got to say, when you fall, you fall HARD!

BadLands Bart
08-12-2010, 05:37 AM
Luvdat....take deep breaths!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Tarman
08-12-2010, 05:38 AM
Rode the Harley down to Nashville IN from Chicago last Thurday afternoon, spent the night, (stayed at the brown county inn and ate at the Pine room, great beers, pool tables and pretty good food.)

Visited Mike on Friday morning first thing. Played several off the wall and picked out a mango concert. A Cedar soprano off the wall sounded so great that I couldn't leave it behind. So I got them both with cases. Didn't have the time to wait for them to be setup and riding them back on the bike would have been a bit too much so Mike shipped them.

Some great roads to ride in the area. Had a great time. Hotter'n hell coming back home on Friday.

The "two ukes" (as in "My Cousin Vinnie") arrived today, unshattered by UPS. Setup is great and the play very nicely.

Thanks to Mike for a great transaction and great product. http://s813.photobucket.com/albums/zz51/olgoat52/ukuleles/?albumview=slideshow

Those are great looking instruments. I actually thought about driving to Chicago this past April (I go every year for a pipe collecting show in St. Charles) and then swinging down to Nashville to see Mike on the way home. I might do that someday. I think buying something you enjoy from the person who made it (or in this case set them up) really enhances your enjoyment of the item. I have gotten to know several pipe makers quite well, and I seem to like their pipes more because of that personal relationship.

rjamesak
08-12-2010, 06:41 AM
Don't mind the stupid look on my face.. that day I got 1 hour of sleep. Haha.

It's not hte look on your face that caught my eye, it's the poster in the background. What is that?
I'm thinkin'... it's Nitro from American Gladiators!!!

After reading this thread, it's official, I'm getting a Mainland. Thanks for the motivation, but I'm holding each and every one of you responsible if it doesn't live up to the hype. Now the question is: Rope or no rope? Maybe luvdat has it right buying them 2 at a time. hmm...

Update 8/14: Ordered a tenor from mainland. I'll officially join the club when Uke is in hand.

luvdat
08-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Luvdat, I've got to say, when you fall, you fall HARD!

What made it "worse" was having the ukes right in front of me at East Village Music in NYC...

Also I was able I think to get a more generous deal on that trade in (an amp) with my second Mainland so close in time to the first...

olgoat52
08-13-2010, 04:13 AM
How about "Buy Two! They're small"

veep
09-13-2010, 08:40 AM
I just order mine today .

Chris Tarman
09-13-2010, 09:41 AM
Congratulations! You'll love it. Which did you get?

Ukecansam
09-13-2010, 10:10 AM
I hope to go to Nashville IN this month and pick one up:) Than I will join your club.

Sic_Rob
09-14-2010, 06:30 AM
Congrats. They are beautiful pieces of art and don't sound to bad either. I screwed up a finger on my left hand so I haven;t been able to play for a month and won't be for another few months. So I just look at my uke's some nights waiting to start again

SailQwest
09-14-2010, 06:37 AM
We were at the Mainland shop a couple of weeks ago, along with UkuleleRob and his lovely bride. What a sweet visit! We played lots of those Mainland beauties. We even had a 4 uke jam going for a while. Mike and Tookta are so fun!

Too bad my husband has a strict one in/one out policy for ukuleles...I'm already one over, as he keeps reminding me. :p

Mandarb
09-14-2010, 08:53 AM
We were at the Mainland shop a couple of weeks ago, along with UkuleleRob and his lovely bride. What a sweet visit! We played lots of those Mainland beauties. We even had a 4 uke jam going for a while. Mike and Tookta are so fun!

Too bad my husband has a strict one in/one out policy for ukuleles...I'm already one over, as he keeps reminding me. :p

Sounds like a good time!

JT_Ukes
09-14-2010, 09:12 AM

I have a soliution to your limited Ukulele problem...

get a bigger boat so you have more room.

JT