What is it about the Kamaka sound?

Dwave

Reaction score
Ok, here it is. I have done the blind sound test with both my daughters 20 and 22 (both hapa hoale by the way). With my Kamaka tenor 1998 white label with a tiny intonation issue, my G-String tenor with near perfect intonation, my Ohana Cider toped, rosewood tenor perfect intonation as well with always the same result. Straight from their ears, the other ones sound great but the Kamaka sounds more like Hawaii to them. Now these are blind sound test they have no idea which Ukulele I am playing. Why? I think it is amazing, always the same result, the Kamaka wins out in that pure Hawaiian sound.

Probably since Kamaka are one of the oldest makers of ukuleles maybe :eek: I'm speculating.

Last edited:
Seems to me that like anything else, some love it, some don't. I do. Also have an Ohta San cedar top that may be my favorite uke ever.

Maybe it's the intonation problems.

When I think of some Hawaiian music, there's definitely a bit of slide-guitar going on, which is always "sort of out of tune".

Maybe it's the intonation problems.

When I think of some Hawaiian music, there's definitely a bit of slide-guitar going on, which is always "sort of out of tune".

:D I was thinking the same thing. De-tune the others or buy a Stagg. :eek:

Many of my kamakas have a little bit of different voice....if you play them side by side you will notice it more...in fact this is true for all ukes...but I do agree Kamaka has their own distinctive sound if you are playing with their strings...

I like Kamakas. They sound like Hawaii...and remind me of Stan.

Its truly amazing to me. I have owned 4 Koa tenors two hawaiian made, G-String being the other. Have tried many strings to include all having the same strings and each time my daughters always say the same thing. "The other sound nice too, but number one (or two or three) just sounds more like Hawaii to me". In my opinion if you can't hear a little Hawaii in your Uke there is something missing.

Top Bottom