Winter Time: Back To My Uke!

Papa Tom

Reaction score
Hello again, everybody.

It seems my ukulele interest is seasonal, going away for the spring, summer, and fall when I am on a bicycle every free moment and coming back big time when the weather chills around this time of year.

Now that the uke is attached to my arm again, I have two questions:

1. How do I keep my fingers from cracking in the cold, dry weather so it's not a blood bath every time I sit down to play?

2. Have any good, inexpensive plastic ukes come out in the past year? I want to keep one at work so I can play for the pre-cchoolers in my building during recess. Plastic just seems like a good idea, as I'd have to store it in an area that doesn't have good heat.

Thanks, all

Welcome back to ukulele season. :)

I have guitar player friends who say you should suck it up and not put lotion on. I can't deal with that so I use a nice hand cream by Nivea. It takes some time to soak in, but it lasts a long time.

Have you seen the outdoor ukulele? You should search for it here on UU because reviews have been mixed, but it might be what you are looking for.

I can't help with your hand problems but like you my hobbies are seasonal and its musical instrument season now.

I have that same problem with cuticle cracking in the drier winter months and use a product called Working Hands. It really works great and isn't greasy.

All year round, though, I follow a hand care regimen. A few years ago I quit using picks for all stringed instruments, even electric guitar, and found that I had to take better care of them. I carry a nice little "manly" manicure kit my wife got me for xmas a few years back with me in my bag. I find keeping nails trimmed, filed and buffed strengthens them and makes my cuticles less likely to give me problems. One of my favorite tools in the back is the cuticle trimmer. A little stick fitted with a "V" shaped blade that you use to clean up the excess skin around your nails. Works great on problem calluses too!

I then use the working hands to moisturize for 10-15 minutes before wiping down, washing my hands.

This regimen is done about every 10 days or so and over the years has really toughened up my nails and given me less troubles!

Same here. Although I pick them up every day, it's when the weather drives me in that there's much, much more time for my favorite thing.

It gets pretty dry here in Montana. I use DuraCream udder balm by Durvet on both my hands and my udders. Contains Lanolin, Aloe Vera and vitimins A, D and E. Good stuff.

As for the workplace instrument - embrace your inner laminate!

Fluke or Flea are my favorite for the type of use you mentioned. Great colors available as well. The peghead tuners are a great upgrade.

Oddly enough, I play more uke in the winter as well.

Not sure how much your are looking to spend but Blackbird has just released their new carbon fiber concert and they have a tenor as well.

blackbird.clara.concert.3.4.web.jpg

Here are the prices.

I have lived in cold Scandinavian weather my entire life, and I make sure I wear gloves, mittens or whatever you fancy to keep hands warm when you're outdoors. As a pianist, I cannot afford to have all those winter ailments that come from frozen hands. Some hand lotion from time to time is ok, but keeping your hands warm is paramount. I even wear fingerless mittens indoors sometimes if I'm in poorly heated buildings. Weird? Well, at least I'm more or less alwys ready to play - ukulele, guitar, piano...

Thanks for all the tips on hand creams, everybody. I've already tried a few of the ones mentioned, unfortunately with poor results. I may take a shot with some of the others, though.

Regarding the plastic uke, I was hoping to spend no more than about $40-50 and don't expect to get something a whole lot better than the Disney/Toy Story ukes they sell at Toys R Us, which are pretty dang good if you change the strings. Unless there's something in that price range, I may just go the Toys R Us route for $25 and not worry if a kid grabs it and slams it to the floor!

In that price range, why not get a Dolphin? They are mostly plastic anyway. Uke Republic sells them with a set up. I hope you find something that works out for you.

Regarding the plastic uke, I was hoping to spend no more than about $40-50 and don't expect to get something a whole lot better than the Disney/Toy Story ukes they sell at Toys R Us, which are pretty dang good if you change the strings. Unless there's something in that price range, I may just go the Toys R Us route for $25 and not worry if a kid grabs it and slams it to the floor!

The Schoenhut "imitation Flea" ukes aren't really too bad, and in your price range.
http://www.jcpenney.com/toys/music/schoenhut-parrot-kids-ukulele/prod.jump?ppId=1e7e81c&selectedSKUId=65581350018&selectedLotId=6558135&ppId=1e7e81c&fromBag=true&cm_mmc=ShoppingFeed-_-GooglePLA-_-Guitars-_-65581350018&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=65581350018 or
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_17?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=schoenhut%20ukulele&sprefix=schoenhut+ukulele%2Caps%2C294&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aschoenhut%20ukulele
They have the convenience of sitting on end like the Fleas, and while they're nothing like the quality or intonation, with a set of Aquila strings added it still would be within your price range. And, they look neat, especially with kids around.

The Mahalo smiley face ones are decent, if the above doesn't work for you. They may run a little more in price, and they are wood, but kids like them and with a little attention they can be set up to have pretty decent intonation.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acoustic-ukuleles/mahalo-u-40-painted-ukulele/h71605000005000?source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CKy2oZ3dg7sCFciGfgodL0wAlA&kwid=productads-plaid%5e57305861707-sku%5eH71605000005000@ADL4MF-adType%5ePLA-device%5ec-adid%5e30433260747

Last edited:
why not get a Dolphin?

Would that be a good choice for a child to start on? I'd like to get my 6-year-old son a uke to see if he'll take to it. He may or may not, and he may be rough on it. Either way, I don't want to spend too much but I don't want crap either. (And if he doesn't get into it, I've two more children after him that may learn it!)

Fluke or Flea are my favorite for the type of use you mentioned. Great colors available as well. The peghead tuners are a great upgrade.

Oddly enough, I play more uke in the winter as well.

Yeah, this. And if I may offer a warning from my recent sad experience... Don't take the seasonal let down if you will, as a sign to sell off your favorite uke! Don't do it, or you'll end up in my boat, which leaks terribly. :(

Should you choose a Flea or other in-destructo-uke, do let the kids noodle around with it if you can! Music appreciation, yes, and also for creativity, caring for each other and their things, and all kinds of valuable assets.

Would that be a good choice for a child to start on? I'd like to get my 6-year-old son a uke to see if he'll take to it. He may or may not, and he may be rough on it. Either way, I don't want to spend too much but I don't want crap either. (And if he doesn't get into it, I've two more children after him that may learn it!)

Yes, I've heard good things about Dolphins, but have no personal experience with them. Also the Mainland Gecko and Chili, I gave some to friends and was pleasantly surprised at their tone, volume, and how long they stay in tune. I just checked the Mainland site and don't see them...? But Uke Republic has them.

the Schoenhut comes with a tuning wrench. what the heck is a tuning wrench?!

the Schoenhut comes with a tuning wrench. what the heck is a tuning wrench?!

I think that's a misprint, wherever you saw it. I didn't get one, and can't imagine what you'd do with one...it has regular heads on the peg type tuners, and there's no truss rod.

Of course the Flukes and Fleas mentioned are miles above these, the dolphins, or the Mahalo smileys, but when the OP mentions $40-50, ukes that are at least 4x that price may not be a consideration, not to mention the $1800 ones suggested earlier...

I'm not too wild about the Schoenhuts anyway, but for the purpose stated they may be fine, particularly if the strings get upgraded. And the Mahalo smiley uke...with a bit of nut and saddle adjustment and some Aquilas, the sound and intonation is very good; my grandson carried one with him all over the (western) country and it sounded good as well as bringing smiles.

it was in the JC Penny add in Flyinby's first link . . .click the 'more info' link

it was in the JC Penny add in Flyinby's first link . . .click the 'more info' link

It's probably a Phillips screwdriver for tightening the peg tuners. It wasn't included in the one I bought a while back from a different place, nor was the pick or "extra string". There's nothing else on the uke that a wrench (or screwdriver) would fit.

The best first step for dry skin in the winter is to humidify your home. I aim for 40-45% RH. Your ukes will thank you, too.

Top Bottom