Has anyone tried the Costco Kahuna Zebrawood Concert Ukulele

kevlarian

Reaction score
Last edited:
I think this might be the model I saw and played at a Costco in Honolulu last summer (although I believe that was about $100 in the store). I really liked it - it was quite a battle against UAS to walk out of the store (3 times, I think) without one. And I am a tenor guy mainly.

I think this might be the model I saw and played at a Costco in Honolulu last summer (although I believe that was about $100 in the store). I really liked it - it was quite a battle against UAS to walk out of the store (3 times, I think) without one. And I am a tenor guy mainly.
So is that a DO IT!?

I have a Lanikai SZW-CCA Solid Zebrawood Concert Cutaway uke... its plays nice and looks great. I found that it is quietier in volume than a koa, spruce or other tonewood. Good thing I can plug it in - with its built-in electronics - when I perform live. For acoustic use, it has a sweet tone.

The one you provided a link for, looks nice... is it a solid top or a laminate? For the price, I'm thinking laminate. But overall, it seems to be a sweet deal, whether its made by Lanikai. The main thing to check is the intonation and playability. If the uke doesn't feel good in your hands, then you're not likely to play it often - if at all. That's the best advice I can give ya....

I can't answer the OP's question but it's on sale (Costco.com online orders only) Thanksgiving Day weekend. While leaving Costco today (with roasted chicken, of course) I picked up an ad at the exit and it says,"$99.99 after $50 off." It also says, "Plus shipping and handling." Item number 803564

photo.jpg

Last edited:
The included bag and stand are probably worth $25. First glance I would say Lanikai. Might be a good starter uke for someone for Christmas or the equivalent.

The Kahuna Ukuleles are imported by an outfit called AP International, centered in Monmouth, NJ. The ukuleles themselves are made in China. I just got one about two weeks ago. Solid zebrawood top, back, and sides, gives a lovely tone. The luthiers in China have come a very long way in the last 5 years or so. This one is well constructed. ALMOST feels like one of the "K"s. I'd rate it in the Cordoba range as an instrument. Possibly ANuenue. It ships with die-cast tuners. OK, but they're not Grover. Strings are nylon. Changing to Grover NW pegs and fluorocarbon strings make this sweetie a new instrument. I am a tenor player, but find myself coming back to this one regularly. As a COSTCO item it is a real treasure.

Looks like a pretty sweet deal to me and it's refreshing to see a big multi-department retailer like Costco put in such a detailed description on their site, including the disclaimer about strings. Wouldn't see that on Amazon.

But does Costco do setups? Gotta have a set up you know. ;)

But does Costco do setups? Gotta have a set up you know. ;)

There was a time when you bought a stringed instrument from a music store they would not release the instrument without a proper setup. I remember waiting a week for my Warlock in the 80's from East Coast Music Mall.

Somewhere in today's world cost has overcome service and knowledge. No stores like Costco do not setup their ukuleles but do you think that makes the need for any and every wooden stringed instrument to not deserve one?

We optimize "Windows OS" but optimizing the geometry on an instrument has become a joke.

heh

Top Bottom