PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Annual End of the Year Extravaganza

austin1
11-24-2013, 07:45 AM
Hello all! So it's getting to December and we need to start considering the End of the Year Extravaganza!

Namely:

1) Do we as a Seasons community want to do it again this year?

2) If yes, can anyone take over?

I'm sorry to say that my life is not particularly conducive to EOY Extravaganzas right now--I mean, let's be honest, I'm barely making it through my season that I hosted at the beginning of October (I know, I know, I'm sorry!). Fact of the matter is that my life is insane and it's only going to get worse in the coming weeks and month. Between reading for my thesis, wrangling native Spanish speakers into proofreading my transcriptions (because the ones in Göttingen are actually the slowest creatures on the planet--3 weeks to add accent marks and commas to 8 pages? Seriously?), going home for Christmas, writing my thesis, briefly relocating to Switzerland and then actually relocating to Mongolia, it is safe to say that I have zero time for anything and optimism does not a scheduling break make. So I can't do it. I really, really wanted to, but I just can't.

But I am more than happy to pass on the the title of Ringmaster if anyone feels up to taking over! You can put your own spin on it and run it however you want! Also it's fun.

Love,
Me
Former Ringmaster of the EOY Extravaganza
Future Wrangler of Yaks

Edit: For those of you who have come into the seasons in the last year, here's last year's video for reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9dfxMgzx4

Warning: It is long and silly.

Edit edit: Dear whoever wants to take over the seasons: don't feel like the EOY has to be this intensive. This came from a sweet, sweet time in my grad school career when my life wasn't awful

TCK
11-24-2013, 08:26 AM
Certain we could not live without it...not sure anyone could do it the way you did Tina. You gotta hurry up and get that degree :)

austin1
11-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Certain we could not live without it...not sure anyone could do it the way you did Tina. You gotta hurry up and get that degree :)

In that case, you guys wouldn't be getting the end of the year extravaganza until April!

So I'm opening up the floor to anyone who wants to take this bad boy on :D.

UkeCan1
11-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Care to fill us newbies in on what, exactly, this is?

TCK
11-24-2013, 10:45 AM
Hey Wendy- there is a sticky to the video- we all voted for categories in the seasons for the year...it was a blast! But that video- total must see.

austin1
11-24-2013, 11:19 AM
Care to fill us newbies in on what, exactly, this is?

Here you go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9dfxMgzx4

glass
11-24-2013, 11:27 AM
I just want to know when in Dec we are meeting up??

lelouden
11-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Yes Yes Yes! I watched it yesterday and loved it. There is no one that would do it like you did Tina but thats ok. A different spin would be fun:).....Don't get me wrong. I'm not volunteering! There are so many great personalities here that would do a mighty fine job. But I personally hope that if its a man that takes on the honor that he wear his best dress and heels:)

wee_ginga_yin
11-25-2013, 01:10 AM
Ah the memories… it just gets better watching it again.

austin1
11-25-2013, 11:29 PM
No one? No one at all?

If no one wants to take over, then there won't be one this year, and that would be so sad!

consitter
11-25-2013, 11:53 PM
No one? No one at all?

If no one wants to take over, then there won't be one this year, and that would be so sad!

What? You mean you don't have the time between your world traveling, and thesises (sp?), and trying to work a job, and learning a new langauge, etc, etc, etc??

Lazy ass. ;)

jcarlos
11-26-2013, 12:23 AM
That was the greatest video I have ever seen. Would be awesome to see another yearly wrap up. Im pretty good at video editing but I havent been around to get to know folks to be able to follow up your video and do it justice.

austin1
11-26-2013, 07:13 AM
Lazy ass. ;)

To a fault :D

That was the greatest video I have ever seen. Would be awesome to see another yearly wrap up. Im pretty good at video editing but I havent been around to get to know folks to be able to follow up your video and do it justice.

Nooo! Don't feel like you have to do anything justice! Whoever does it this year should just do their thing and it'll be fabulous!

austin1
11-27-2013, 08:13 AM
No one?

Don't let my thesis kill the EOY Extravaganza!

wee_ginga_yin
11-27-2013, 10:46 AM
No one?

Don't let my thesis kill the EOY Extravaganza!

I think it would be a job for thesillydave and his monkey.
He could spank that funky monkey till it cries.

redpaul1
11-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Sorry if what follows sounds overly bureaucratic, but from the tone of your posts, it seems as if there is real urgency to getting this all settled.

I have a couple of comments, and some questions to follow. Hopefully the answers will give Seasonistas a better idea of the commitment they'd be making if they undertook the task of producing EOY II.

Comments first.:
1) Until I actually clicked through to the post, I had no idea that this wasn't actually EOY II, but rather a call for volunteer(s) to produce said extravaganza. It might be helpful to edit the thread title (if possible) to make this clear.

2) It would be useful to know what's involved in putting it all together. The video leaves a few questions unanswered.

So, questions:

1) Categories.
From the video, I gather that the categories were:
1: Aloha Spirit
2: Most Improved Seasonista
3: Best Host
4: Seasonista with whom you’d most like to enter a Season
5: Most Stylish Performer
6: Favourite video (comprising 5 sub-categories)

6.1: Best Overall Performance
6.2: Best Duet/Group
6.3: Best Original Song
6.4: Funniest Video
6.5: All-time Favourite Video

Q1: Have I got these categories correct? How were they chosen? Did Seasonistas vote/suggest these categories? Are they up for discussion/amendment/being added to?

2) Nominations.
Nominations implies a two-stage voting process: first, nominations are made; and then voting for the nominees takes place. From what I can gather, this isn't how it actually happened.

Q2: How were votes actually cast/gathered for the nominees in the various categories?

3) Timetable.
Your video for EOY I was uploaded about March 2013. No criticism intended by this: I take absolutely your point that it was quite a production number, but March 2014 is still 4 months away.

Q3. When did voting open and close? Was your video the first official announcement of the results? In other words, what are timings/deadlines involved/aspired to in the voting and announcement of the results?

Happy Thanksgiving, btw :)

Jazzbanjorex
11-27-2013, 02:44 PM
How about a link to the origins of the original?
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?76885-Seasons-End-of-the-Year-EXTRAVAGANZA!

austin1
11-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Sorry if what follows sounds overly bureaucratic, but from the tone of your posts, it seems as if there is real urgency to getting this all settled.

Is urgency the right word? We're getting to December, I don't want anyone thinking I'm capable of doing it again this year is all.

I have a couple of comments, and some questions to follow. Hopefully the answers will give Seasonistas a better idea of the commitment they'd be making if they undertook the task of producing EOY II.

Comments first.:
1) Until I actually clicked through to the post, I had no idea that this wasn't actually EOY II, but rather a call for volunteer(s) to produce said extravaganza. It might be helpful to edit the thread title (if possible) to make this clear.

Done!

Edit: just kidding, I think we need a mod.

2) It would be useful to know what's involved in putting it all together. The video leaves a few questions unanswered.

So, questions:

1) Categories.
From the video, I gather that the categories were:
1: Aloha Spirit
2: Most Improved Seasonista
3: Best Host
4: Seasonista with whom you’d most like to enter a Season
5: Most Stylish Performer
6: Favourite video (comprising 5 sub-categories)

6.1: Best Overall Performance
6.2: Best Duet/Group
6.3: Best Original Song
6.4: Funniest Video
6.5: All-time Favourite Video

Yes, But we figured First five categories: Your favorite people. Videos 6-10: Your favorite videos. Potato, potahto, as they say.

Q1: Have I got these categories correct? How were they chosen? Did Seasonistas vote/suggest these categories? Are they up for discussion/amendment/being added to?

That's up to whoever wants to host EOY II. They categories were chosen because we discussed it, and seasonistas could chime in. They are up for discussion/amendment/being added to.

2) Nominations.
Nominations implies a two-stage voting process: first, nominations are made; and then voting for the nominees takes place. From what I can gather, this isn't how it actually happened.

Nope. To save ourselves the trouble, seasonistas voted for as many people/videos as they wanted for each category. These were both "nominations" and "votes." The winners in each category were the ones with the most nominations/votes, whatever word you prefer.

Q2: How were votes actually cast/gathered for the nominees in the various categories?

People PMed me. I had a spreadsheet.

[

3) Timetable.
Your video for EOY I was uploaded about March 2013. No criticism intended by this: I take absolutely your point that it was quite a production number, but March 2014 is still 4 months away.

It wasn't supposed to take that long. But the idea for an EOY occurred to me quite late (I think in December?). After that it was just figuring out categories/the voting system, secretly PMing all the people who participated, waiting for them to make me videos, ripping all those videos, filming my part, editing the entire thing together.

At any rate, I decided letting everyone know I couldn't host in November was preferable to dropping the bomb in March 2014.

Q3. When did voting open and close? Was your video the first official announcement of the results? In other words, what are timings/deadlines involved/aspired to in the voting and announcement of the results?

As I recall, we kept voting as open as long as possible to make up for the fact that we started late. It began and ended when I said it did, because I'm kind of a dictator like that :) And yes, my video was the results announcement.

Happy Thanksgiving, btw :)

No thanksgiving for me, I'm afraid, I'm alone in a foreign country. Trying for some kind of Thanksgiving would feel like a parody, so I just keep myself busy and don't think about it. Going home for Christmas though, whoo!

austin1
11-30-2013, 04:14 AM
Still no one? Ah well. If anyone changes their mind, let us know, but as of this moment, EOY Extravaganza II isn't happening.

TCK
11-30-2013, 05:38 AM
nnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!
still no one? Ah well. If anyone changes their mind, let us know, but as of this moment, eoy extravaganza ii isn't happening.

ksiegel
11-30-2013, 07:26 AM
nnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

That sure sounds like a volunteer to me....

(Like Dave would have the time!)

-Kurt

redpaul1
11-30-2013, 11:24 AM
I'm certainly thinking of throwing my hat into the ring. But I'd want to make a couple of changes.

First, I'd like to add a new category: Best newcomer or best rookie

Second, I'd like to make hosts nominees. This probably wouldn't have worked in Year 1, but now we're heading toward 100 Seasons, I think it's worth a shot. The hosts put more work into the Seasons than anyone else; so I'd like for them to vote on who gets nominated in each category, and then have the rest of the Seasonistas vote on the nominees.

Whaddya reckon?

TCK
11-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Hey Paul- I do believe there was a perfect host nomination the first go 'round. There was a. Most improved category as well, but nothing specifically aimed at newbies.
As I see it, you run it, you make your own categories. As I am WAY to busy this time of year to do it myself, you can send of those nominations my way to count as well...I would be happy to help, just couldn't do it all- and cannot see it go away.
I'm certainly thinking of throwing my hat into the ring. But I'd want to make a couple of changes.

Second, I'd like to make hosts nominees. This probably wouldn't have worked in Year 1, but now we're heading toward 100 Seasons, I think it's worth a shot. The hosts put more work into the Seasons than anyone else; so I'd like for them to vote on who gets nominated in each category, and then have the rest of the Seasonistas vote on the nominees.

Whaddya reckon?

UkeyDave
12-01-2013, 09:21 PM

Whaddya reckon?

I reckon DO IT PAUL. :-)

austin1
12-02-2013, 01:55 AM

Whaddya reckon?

I say do it as well :)

It's totally up to you of course, but the change in voting process might make things complicated for you (2 stage, as opposed to doing it in just 1 stage). Also, if the only ones allowed to nominate are hosts, then you might wind up missing a lot of really good videos--not every host is going to nominate videos, meaning everything in their seasons is (more or less) a no go, and not every host has kept up with all the seasons. I can tell you personally that as a host, I'm far less qualified to nominate videos than most of the participants this year!

redpaul1
12-02-2013, 01:41 PM
I say do it as well :)

It's totally up to you of course, but the change in voting process might make things complicated for you (2 stage, as opposed to doing it in just 1 stage). Also, if the only ones allowed to nominate are hosts, then you might wind up missing a lot of really good videos--not every host is going to nominate videos, meaning everything in their seasons is (more or less) a no go, and not every host has kept up with all the seasons. I can tell you personally that as a host, I'm far less qualified to nominate videos than most of the participants this year!

OK - if you're handing on the baton, I'm happy to pick it up.

In which case, I'd like to give the 2-stage thing a try. If I don't get a full slate, then I can always throw open the nominations.

So this is my plan:

Hosts - What I'd like from you is your nominations from any Season other than your own - except those marked with an asterisk. Those you can vote for nomination regardless of Season. Anyone/thing gathering two or more hosts' votes gets nominated.

Categories as follows:

People:

Aloha Winner of the Year*
Rookie of the Year*
Most Improved Player*
Most Excellent Host
Seasonista You'd Most Like To Enter The Seasons With*
Style Award

Videos:

Best Overall Performance
Best Duet/Group
Best Original Song
Funniest Video
Video of the Year

Notes:
1. The year begins with Season 53. Ideally therefore, it should end with Season 104, but I'd like nominations to end with whatever Season closes out 2013 (Season 98?).

2. And as per the OnlyUkeThatMatters codicil to Extravaganza #1, hosts can nominate as many as they like in each category.

That makes for a month to garner nominations. The general voting can begin after whichever's earliest: either all hosts having nominated; or the arrival of the New Year - with the results being announced in time for Season 105 (beginning of Seasons' Year 3).

So Seasonistas all. Let me know

a: ) if you're happy for me to pick up the baton;
b: ) if you have any comments on how I'm proposing to run things

Mahalo!

TCK
12-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Paul- post this as a new thread so everyone can see it live and fresh I think. Other than that- expect mine real soon.
Cheers mate- thanks for not letting it go away.
Oh yeah...baton is in good hands

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
12-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Thanks a billion for volunteering, Paul. No wonder Mick and Paul signed your uke---you rule.

TCK's got the right idea---a fresh thread will grab attention.

Since I love math and democracy, I'm always thinking about voting. You might want to ask for all the votes you can get in one round, so every Seasonista's voice gets equal weight. Primary systems (with rounds of voting) are notoriously anti-democratic (even though we're used to them here in the States and in many other "democracies" around the world). If you just throw open voting to all, and accept lists from everyone, voting will happen more quickly, will be easier to tabulate, and will be as fair as possible. But be sure to do whatever makes the most sense or just feels right for you as the Extravaganza producer/director extraordinaire.

You rule this one, Paul. Have fun with it!

redpaul1
12-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Thanks a billion for volunteering, Paul. No wonder Mick and Paul signed your uke---you rule.

TCK's got the right idea---a fresh thread will grab attention.

Since I love math and democracy, I'm always thinking about voting. You might want to ask for all the votes you can get in one round, so every Seasonista's voice gets equal weight. Primary systems (with rounds of voting) are notoriously anti-democratic (even though we're used to them here in the States and in many other "democracies" around the world). If you just throw open voting to all, and accept lists from everyone, voting will happen more quickly, will be easier to tabulate, and will be as fair as possible. But be sure to do whatever makes the most sense or just feels right for you as the Extravaganza producer/director extraordinaire.

You rule this one, Paul. Have fun with it!

Thanks! I'm just running ideas up the flagpole at the moment and seeing who salutes (!!). Once I've got a settled consensus, I will certainly be posting a new thread, as TCK advises.

I paid, as you can see, particular attention to the suggestions you made last year, so I certainly welcome them this time round too. The reason I'm suggesting this two-stage process is that I want to avoid the situation Tina had last year in some of her categories: 20 nominations each with two votes each (I paraphrase, but you get the idea). My plan is intended actually to drive up voting by reducing nominations in each category to a manageable number, and then to get people talking and thinking about these nominations by publicising them both in the forthcoming Extravaganza II thread, and in the remaining Seasons before voting closes.

If you still think there's a better way of doing things, please let me know. I consider my role here as secretary to the committee, not as chief executive :)

we tigers
12-03-2013, 12:09 AM
Thanks Paul for picking up the challenge! I'm looking forward to this new extravaganza fest!

lelouden
12-03-2013, 04:52 PM
which do you like better? The academy awards (or what ever it is in your country), voted by the good old boys or the peoples choice awards, voted by the people? I feel a little left out here:)
All in fun Paul and congratulations on being CE! You Rock!

redpaul1
12-04-2013, 07:24 AM
which do you like better? The academy awards (or what ever it is in your country), voted by the good old boys or the peoples choice awards, voted by the people? I feel a little left out here:)
All in fun Paul and congratulations on being CE! You Rock!

I know, I know - everyone will get a vote, I promise! We have the BAFTAs btw - but how does People's choice work? Do you get to vote for any show you like?

lelouden
12-04-2013, 08:41 AM
I know, I know - everyone will get a vote, I promise! We have the BAFTAs btw - but how does People's choice work? Do you get to vote for any show you like?
WiKi
Peoples choice; Favorite All-Around Movie (Batman), and both a Favorite Movie Actor (Tom Cruise) and a World Favorite Movie Actor (Dustin Hoffman). At the 23rd People's Choice Awards, Rob Reiner was named the People's Choice Awards Honoree. More recently, the 32nd People's Choice Awards (broadcast in January 2006) included categories such as Favorite On-Screen Match-Up (Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson in Wedding Crashers), Favorite Leading Lady (Reese Witherspoon), Favorite Tour (U2), and an award named after a Procter & Gamble brand: Nice 'n Easy Fans Favorite Hair (Faith Hill). In 2008, the People's Choice Awards introduced a new category: Favorite Sci-Fi Show.

Chosen by the people! :)

Actually if my real opinion counts I think anyone that has been faithful in the seasons for an adequate amount of time would qualify maybe more than just the hosts. That would not include me, having joined the seasons in sept. (15 seasons although faithful). Unless I was following and commenting previous to joining in. Or watching past seasons to catch up on all the seasons for the year. How would you ever know who qualifies? You wouldn't! you would have to let the people do the honor system for qualifications. Therefore If someone like me wanted to honestly qualify I would need to watch a large majority of what I missed. I have gone back and watch the winners of many many seasons, but that doesn't mean I would agree with that seasons winning choice. I rarely have for the seasons Ive been involved in. So If your hosts feel that they have been faithful to a majority of the seasons then that is the way to go:) IMO

redpaul1
12-04-2013, 10:34 AM
WiKi
Peoples choice; Favorite All-Around Movie (Batman), and both a Favorite Movie Actor (Tom Cruise) and a World Favorite Movie Actor (Dustin Hoffman). At the 23rd People's Choice Awards, Rob Reiner was named the People's Choice Awards Honoree. More recently, the 32nd People's Choice Awards (broadcast in January 2006) included categories such as Favorite On-Screen Match-Up (Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson in Wedding Crashers), Favorite Leading Lady (Reese Witherspoon), Favorite Tour (U2), and an award named after a Procter & Gamble brand: Nice 'n Easy Fans Favorite Hair (Faith Hill). In 2008, the People's Choice Awards introduced a new category: Favorite Sci-Fi Show.

Chosen by the people! :)

Sorry if I'm being obtuse here, but what I'm trying to get to the bottom is the mechanics of it (People's Choice). Who drew up the categories? Do viewers just write in in support of the shows they like, or do they go on-line and select from a list? And if the latter, how is that list generated?

Actually if my real opinion counts I think anyone that has been faithful in the seasons for an adequate amount of time would qualify maybe more than just the hosts. That would not include me, having joined the seasons in sept. (15 seasons although faithful). Unless I was following and commenting previous to joining in. Or watching past seasons to catch up on all the seasons for the year.

This is why I'm floating the idea of a short-list. You would then not have to go back through the previous 50-odd weeks, but would be offered a selection and a review of the best of the best and vote accordingly.

How would you ever know who qualifies? You wouldn't! you would have to let the people do the honor system for qualifications. Therefore if someone like me wanted to honestly qualify, I would need to watch a large majority of what I missed. I have gone back and watched the winners of many many seasons, but that doesn't mean I would agree with that seasons winning choice. I rarely have for the seasons I've been involved in. So if your hosts feel that they have been faithful to a majority of the seasons then that is the way to go:) IMO

Who qualifies to vote? In theory, every UU member has a right to vote. In practice, it's likely to be Seasonista regulars, but I'm quite relaxed about that aspect of the process.

As to an honor system, it's not something I've come across in the UK, so forgive my ignorance. Are you suggesting I'm saying I expect, and therefore have to trust, voters to go back through all the seasons from 53 onwards and watch all the videos posted, before they came to a decision as to who to vote for in each category? Well, that would be nice, as it's generally the case that more recent entries will be more vivid in the memory and therefore more likely to garner votes; but I don't expect it will happen.

Which is, again, why my plan was to have hosts draw up a short-list. 1) They're more likely than most to have seen most of the videos posted over the past year of the Seasons: they (have) watch(ed) them so you don't have to. 2) They put more in than most, and therefore, in this plan, earn the privilege of drawing up the short-list.

Furthermore, my plan was to have hosts choose in most of the categories, from the Seasons they hadn't hosted. So they needn't agree either with any Season's winning choice. They just winnow down the choices on the ballot paper to a manageable number (we could also have a 'write-in' option in every category, so that if your favourite wasn't there, you could still include it in the process).

Once the short-lists are drawn up; the relevant entries would be given another airing, old favourites would get a fresh lease of life, debate stimulated, and voting would then commence.

I hope that answers all your questions about the plan I've proposed. To reiterate however, I'm not commited to this plan despite the time I've spent outlining it. To me, it represents only a means, not an end in itself. My overriding concern is to avoid a situation - as occurred last year - where one category has 15 entries, 8 of whom have two votes each, and the other 7, one vote each. So, if there's another way that you can think of that gets us over that hurdle...

...Maybe we could do it iteratively. Say, coming into the last two weeks (or some other arbitrary period) of voting, I announce: "Guys, in category X, we presently have 15 entries, 8 of whom have two votes each, and the other 7, one vote each. There is therefore now going to be a vote-off between the top 8 in category X." Kind of like French Presidential elections where there's two rounds of voting. In round one, everyone votes for whoever they want, but only the top two go through into round 2 - when everyone gets to vote again, but on the top two only (needless to say, we needn't have top two, we could have top five or ten). It needn't necessarily happen in every category, but could be called upon if necessary.

We could perhaps also have a 'Pitch Of The Day'? Anyone who's got a particular yen for a particular entry (other than their own!), could come by and say "Hey folks, I know this one was posted in way back in season 62, but it's a particular favourite of mine & I'm pretty sure you'd agree it's a strong contender for category X?"

Nothing is as yet cast in stone. I'm looking to build a consensus here. So please keep chipping in with ideas and suggestions.

austin1
12-04-2013, 12:21 PM
My overriding concern is to avoid a situation - as occurred last year - where one category has 15 entries, 8 of whom have two votes each, and the other 7, one vote each. So, if there's another way that you can think of that gets us over that hurdle...

For what it's worth, that only happened in the people's choice category, which is why I took it as indicative of the fact that there really was no winner there. All the other categories had lots of nominations, yes, but also (actual) winners (who won by lots of votes and not just 1 or 2). Also for what it's worth, I wrestled for a while last year with the concept of doing two-stage voting (like the UU Undies). I ultimately decided not to do it, but I definitely wouldn't be opposed to seeing it happen this year. I do think, however, that limiting the first stage to hosts only might ruffle some feathers.

Two possible options:
Public first stage voting to everyone--i.e, everyone can nominate videos--but videos have to be seconded by somebody else in order to make it through the first stage? Town council style.

Private first stage voting--everybody sends you PMs (RIP your inbox :D). The videos with the most nominations move on to second stage voting, taking the form of a thread/survey.

In the end it's your call, and I know for a fact that whatever you come up with will be great. Ultimately, this is only Year II of the EOY Extravanganza. Trying new things is good! That way we as a community can settle on what we like, what we don't like, what we can improve upon.

UkeCan1
12-04-2013, 12:59 PM
I do think, though, Paul, that it needs to be a requirement that you wear your best gown for the video.

lelouden
12-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Paul, I was just trying to say that I don't consider myself eligible having only been around a short time. But that it is possible that someone might be just as qualified as a host if they have been faithful followers. I completely trust that you will do a fine job. I'm glad the convo has made you mull it over in your mind as to the best way to go about it. There is no right or wrong way. Its your stage!!! I applaud you for stepping forward. You'll do great how ever you decide to put it together:)

Now if you are really interested as to how the peoples choice has evolved and how they have narrowed down things I will bore you with the WIKI details....
In a nut shell they people vote online. The semantics are not important to ME. but just for your pleasure here is the WIKI on how the peoples choice is done. It has been an evolving process like most things are.

Throughout the 20th century, the awards were based upon results from Gallup polls. Each year, Gallup took a survey of different categories for favorite actor, actress, movie, artist, television program or group. The scope was unlimited—the public could choose whomever or whatever it liked. The results of the annual survey were announced in the form of the People's Choice Awards Since polls have margins of error, many years' awards have had ties in at least one category, when Gallup declared that the voting was so close that a single winner could not be chosen. For instance, in 2003, both Spider-Man and The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring were recognized as Favorite Motion Picture.
Switch to online voting[edit]

The winners of the 31st People's Choice Awards (aired January 9, 2005) were decided by online voting rather than Gallup polls. The nominees submitted for Internet voting were selected using an unpublished process involving editors at Entertainment Weekly, the show's production team, and a panel of pop culture fans.
The nominees for the 32nd People's Choice Awards were determined by web research company Knowledge Networks, which took a nationally representative sample of men and women ages 18 to 54, with and without Internet access, to come up with the nominees. After being presented with a list of candidates determined by national ratings averages, box office grosses and album sales, they had the option to write in their favorites. Knowledge Networks recruits its panel by using a RDD phone recruitment method and provides a Web TV and Internet access to households without Internet access enabling them to infer back to the entire population.
The nominees for the 2010 People's Choice Awards were determined by media research company Visible Measures, which specializes in measuring Internet Video audience behavior. The announcement of this partnership stated, "For the first time ever, the People’s Choice Awards has incorporated Internet video viewing data into the initial nominee selection process, depending on Visible Measures’ True Reach metrics to objectively measure online video popularity. Visible Measures worked with the People’s Choice Awards to determine each potential nominees’ popularity on a True Reach basis, a unique measure of the total audience that has been exposed to an online video campaign – regardless of how widely the campaign spreads or where it appears. To measure True Reach, Visible Measures deploys a robust and patented set of technologies with the goal of capturing the universe of Internet video viewership data in near real-time."
Categories[edit]

Movies
Favorite Movie
Favorite Action Movie
Favorite Comedy Movie
Favorite Drama Movie
Favorite Movie Franchise
Favorite Movie Fan Following
Favorite Movie Actor
Favorite Movie Actress
Favorite Dramatic Movie Actor
Favorite Dramatic Movie Actress
Favorite Action Movie Star
Favorite Movie Superhero
Favorite Comedic Movie Actor
Favorite Comedic Movie Actress
Favorite On-Screen Chemistry
Favorite Movie Icon
Favorite Face of Heroism
Television
Favorite Network TV Comedy
Favorite Network TV Drama
Favorite TV Comedy Actor
Favorite TV Comedy Actress
Favorite TV Drama Actor
Favorite TV Drama Actress
Favorite Cable TV Comedy
Favorite Cable TV Drama
Favorite TV Crime Drama
Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy Show
Favorite New TV Comedy
Favorite New TV Drama
Favorite Daytime TV Host
Favorite Late Night TV Host
Favorite TV Competition Show
Favorite Celebrity Judge
Favorite Premium Cable TV show
New Talk Show Host
Favorite TV Fan Following
Music
Favorite Song of the Year
Favorite Album of the Year
Favorite Music Video
Favorite Music Fan Following
Favorite Male Artist
Favorite Female Artist
Favorite Band
Favorite Pop Artist
Favorite Hip Hop Artist
Favorite R&B Artist
Favorite Country Artist
Favorite Breakout Artist
Special Achievement Awards
Favorite Humanitarian
People's Voice

YOU SEE ITS ALL IN FUN! :)

bonesigh
12-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Whew, my head is spinning and I don't think it's just from being sick. Thank you Paul for stepping up to get this done. I was just getting re-involved with the seasons when we had last years EOY Extravanganza. I thought, "What a great idea" then promptly didn't understand about the voting and voted for an obscure person who had never even entered the seasons. I quickly caught on though! What a dunce! Anyway, my feathers happen to be very sleek and smooth and water runs right off (" Anything you do would be a okay with me. I love the Seasonistas!!

lelouden
12-04-2013, 10:05 PM
I do think, though, Paul, that it needs to be a requirement that you wear your best gown for the video.

Yes yes yes. Now were getting somewhere!:)

redpaul1
12-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Paul, it is possible that someone might be just as qualified as a host [to nominate] if they have been faithful followers. I completely trust that you will do a fine job. I'm glad the convo has made you mull it over in your mind as to the best way to go about it. Its your stage!!! I applaud you for stepping forward.

Tina's made a similar point, and given me an idea for how to address your concerns. But thanks for the general encouragement & vote of confidence!

Thanks for the info on People's Choice also.

[snip]The winners of the 31st People's Choice Awards (aired January 9, 2005) were decided by online voting rather than Gallup polls. The nominees submitted for Internet voting were selected using an unpublished process involving editors at Entertainment Weekly, the show's production team, and a panel of pop culture fans.
The nominees for the 32nd People's Choice Awards were determined by web research company Knowledge Networks, which took a nationally representative sample of men and women ages 18 to 54, with and without Internet access, to come up with the nominees. After being presented with a list of candidates determined by national ratings averages, box office grosses and album sales, they had the option to write in their favorites. Knowledge Networks recruits its panel by using a RDD phone recruitment method and provides a Web TV and Internet access to households without Internet access enabling them to infer back to the entire population.
The nominees for the 2010 People's Choice Awards were determined by media research company Visible Measures, which specializes in measuring Internet Video audience behavior.
(emphases added)

So to answer my question(s), it seems that from the 31st round of Awards, even People's Choice limit the number of options for people to vote for. And for the 32nd Awards, the people didn't even get a choice. Knowledge Networks drew up a representative sample of adult viewers and awarded the results on the basis of their poll of those voters alone (It's a black box how Visible Measures came up with their results for the 33rd and subsequent Awards).

As someone who used to run a business analysing opinion poll data, I have no problem with representative sampling in principle, but if this is basis on which the Awards are made, there's a yawning gap between the rhetoric of People's Choice and the reality. In any case, I don't think it's a model we likely be following soon (I've had a quote from Visible Measures for analysing Seasonistas' internet viewing activity, and it's not pretty) :)

redpaul1
12-04-2013, 11:02 PM

Yes yes yes. Now were getting somewhere!:)

Be careful what you wish for!

UkeyDave
12-05-2013, 01:12 AM
What about this thought.
EVERYONE nominates within a set time window.
Then EVERYONE votes within a set time window.
Just a thought to chew over. I'm happy for you to decide after hearing all the arguments. After all IT'S YOU who has to do all the hard work.
My only special request Paul is that you either speak up or turn the volume up when talking as I always struggle to hear what your saying (not your fault my ears aint what they used to be - too much loud music over the years I think).
Well done for volunteering. Loving the debate by the way. ;-)

lelouden
12-05-2013, 08:50 AM
And Again...Its your stage!!! I applaud you for stepping forward.

I have a feeling you had to have been the debate team captain in HS! :)

I hope everyone realizes this banter is all in fun!!!:smileybounce:

Jazzbanjorex
12-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Kudos for stepping forward and hosting the 2ndAEOTYE. Pronounced (Second AH-EE-OughT-YEE)

My simple thoughts: It's like the Seasons. Host decides. If host wants input all the better. Trust the host. Different host different show. It's all in good fun so no stress and appreciate the efforts of the host.

It's an "Extravaganza". So to me that means the competition and awards are back seat (or just an excuse) to PARTY!!!

Last year I relied mostly on what videos and Seasonistas came to mind when I heard the categories. There are a lot of videos per season. Like one of Krabber's seasons had over 100 entries.

This is a huge undertaking. Again Kudos for willing to tackle this for our enjoyment.

"I hope everyone realized this banter is all in fun!" I like this and may make it my signature.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
12-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Thanks! I'm just running ideas up the flagpole at the moment and seeing who salutes (!!). Once I've got a settled consensus, I will certainly be posting a new thread, as TCK advises.

I paid, as you can see, particular attention to the suggestions you made last year, so I certainly welcome them this time round too. The reason I'm suggesting this two-stage process is that I want to avoid the situation Tina had last year in some of her categories: 20 nominations each with two votes each (I paraphrase, but you get the idea). My plan is intended actually to drive up voting by reducing nominations in each category to a manageable number, and then to get people talking and thinking about these nominations by publicising them both in the forthcoming Extravaganza II thread, and in the remaining Seasons before voting closes.

If you still think there's a better way of doing things, please let me know. I consider my role here as secretary to the committee, not as chief executive :)

You're onto something there. I don't have enough time every week to check out all the videos, so getting a list of nominees for us to focus on is smart. (I'd still suggest throwing voting for nominees open to all, just to get more votes/ideas.) Whichever way you go, I'll do my best to find some nominees for each category as soon as possible.

Once your mind's made up, be sure to start a nominations/voting thread to get the process off to a running start.

Jazzbanjorex
12-09-2013, 08:59 AM
I like the two stage idea.

redpaul1
12-09-2013, 09:26 AM
You're onto something there. I don't have enough time every week to check out all the videos, so getting a list of nominees for us to focus on is smart. (I'd still suggest throwing voting for nominees open to all, just to get more votes/ideas.) Whichever way you go, I'll do my best to find some nominees for each category as soon as possible.

Once your mind's made up, be sure to start a nominations/voting thread to get the process off to a running start.

I like the two stage idea.

Thanks for the input, Rex'n'Ralf!

I have some urgent family matters that I need to attend to at present. I had hoped everything would be settled by yesterday, and that I would be able to return to EOY II today, but that has not proved to be the case. Hopefully, I will be setting the ball rolling on Thursday.

In the meantime, any and all suggestions/debate welcome.