2nd Annual End of the Year Extravaganza

austin1

Reaction score
Who wants to take over the 2nd annual EOY Extravaganza?

Hello all! So it's getting to December and we need to start considering the End of the Year Extravaganza!

Namely:

1) Do we as a Seasons community want to do it again this year?

2) If yes, can anyone take over?

I'm sorry to say that my life is not particularly conducive to EOY Extravaganzas right now--I mean, let's be honest, I'm barely making it through my season that I hosted at the beginning of October (I know, I know, I'm sorry!). Fact of the matter is that my life is insane and it's only going to get worse in the coming weeks and month. Between reading for my thesis, wrangling native Spanish speakers into proofreading my transcriptions (because the ones in Göttingen are actually the slowest creatures on the planet--3 weeks to add accent marks and commas to 8 pages? Seriously?), going home for Christmas, writing my thesis, briefly relocating to Switzerland and then actually relocating to Mongolia, it is safe to say that I have zero time for anything and optimism does not a scheduling break make. So I can't do it. I really, really wanted to, but I just can't.

But I am more than happy to pass on the the title of Ringmaster if anyone feels up to taking over! You can put your own spin on it and run it however you want! Also it's fun.

Love,
Me
Former Ringmaster of the EOY Extravaganza
Future Wrangler of Yaks

Edit: For those of you who have come into the seasons in the last year, here's last year's video for reference:

Warning: It is long and silly.

Edit edit: Dear whoever wants to take over the seasons: don't feel like the EOY has to be this intensive. This came from a sweet, sweet time in my grad school career when my life wasn't awful

Last edited:
Certain we could not live without it...not sure anyone could do it the way you did Tina. You gotta hurry up and get that degree :)

Certain we could not live without it...not sure anyone could do it the way you did Tina. You gotta hurry up and get that degree :)

In that case, you guys wouldn't be getting the end of the year extravaganza until April!

So I'm opening up the floor to anyone who wants to take this bad boy on :D.

Care to fill us newbies in on what, exactly, this is?

Hey Wendy- there is a sticky to the video- we all voted for categories in the seasons for the year...it was a blast! But that video- total must see.

Yes Yes Yes! I watched it yesterday and loved it. There is no one that would do it like you did Tina but thats ok. A different spin would be fun:).....Don't get me wrong. I'm not volunteering! There are so many great personalities here that would do a mighty fine job. But I personally hope that if its a man that takes on the honor that he wear his best dress and heels:)

No one? No one at all?

If no one wants to take over, then there won't be one this year, and that would be so sad!

What? You mean you don't have the time between your world traveling, and thesises (sp?), and trying to work a job, and learning a new langauge, etc, etc, etc??

Lazy ass. ;)

That was the greatest video I have ever seen. Would be awesome to see another yearly wrap up. Im pretty good at video editing but I havent been around to get to know folks to be able to follow up your video and do it justice.

Lazy ass. ;)

To a fault :D

That was the greatest video I have ever seen. Would be awesome to see another yearly wrap up. Im pretty good at video editing but I havent been around to get to know folks to be able to follow up your video and do it justice.

Nooo! Don't feel like you have to do anything justice! Whoever does it this year should just do their thing and it'll be fabulous!

Questions

Sorry if what follows sounds overly bureaucratic, but from the tone of your posts, it seems as if there is real urgency to getting this all settled.

I have a couple of comments, and some questions to follow. Hopefully the answers will give Seasonistas a better idea of the commitment they'd be making if they undertook the task of producing EOY II.

Comments first.:
1) Until I actually clicked through to the post, I had no idea that this wasn't actually EOY II, but rather a call for volunteer(s) to produce said extravaganza. It might be helpful to edit the thread title (if possible) to make this clear.

2) It would be useful to know what's involved in putting it all together. The video leaves a few questions unanswered.

So, questions:

1) Categories.
From the video, I gather that the categories were:
1: Aloha Spirit
2: Most Improved Seasonista
3: Best Host
4: Seasonista with whom you’d most like to enter a Season
5: Most Stylish Performer
6: Favourite video (comprising 5 sub-categories)
6.1: Best Overall Performance
6.2: Best Duet/Group
6.3: Best Original Song
6.4: Funniest Video
6.5: All-time Favourite Video

Q1: Have I got these categories correct? How were they chosen? Did Seasonistas vote/suggest these categories? Are they up for discussion/amendment/being added to?

2) Nominations.
Nominations implies a two-stage voting process: first, nominations are made; and then voting for the nominees takes place. From what I can gather, this isn't how it actually happened.

Q2: How were votes actually cast/gathered for the nominees in the various categories?

3) Timetable.
Your video for EOY I was uploaded about March 2013. No criticism intended by this: I take absolutely your point that it was quite a production number, but March 2014 is still 4 months away.

Q3. When did voting open and close? Was your video the first official announcement of the results? In other words, what are timings/deadlines involved/aspired to in the voting and announcement of the results?

Happy Thanksgiving, btw :)

Sorry if what follows sounds overly bureaucratic, but from the tone of your posts, it seems as if there is real urgency to getting this all settled.

Is urgency the right word? We're getting to December, I don't want anyone thinking I'm capable of doing it again this year is all.

I have a couple of comments, and some questions to follow. Hopefully the answers will give Seasonistas a better idea of the commitment they'd be making if they undertook the task of producing EOY II.

Comments first.:
1) Until I actually clicked through to the post, I had no idea that this wasn't actually EOY II, but rather a call for volunteer(s) to produce said extravaganza. It might be helpful to edit the thread title (if possible) to make this clear.

Done!

Edit: just kidding, I think we need a mod.

2) It would be useful to know what's involved in putting it all together. The video leaves a few questions unanswered.

So, questions:

1) Categories.
From the video, I gather that the categories were:
1: Aloha Spirit
2: Most Improved Seasonista
3: Best Host
4: Seasonista with whom you’d most like to enter a Season
5: Most Stylish Performer
6: Favourite video (comprising 5 sub-categories)
6.1: Best Overall Performance
6.2: Best Duet/Group
6.3: Best Original Song
6.4: Funniest Video
6.5: All-time Favourite Video

Yes, But we figured First five categories: Your favorite people. Videos 6-10: Your favorite videos. Potato, potahto, as they say.

Q1: Have I got these categories correct? How were they chosen? Did Seasonistas vote/suggest these categories? Are they up for discussion/amendment/being added to?

That's up to whoever wants to host EOY II. They categories were chosen because we discussed it, and seasonistas could chime in. They are up for discussion/amendment/being added to.

2) Nominations.
Nominations implies a two-stage voting process: first, nominations are made; and then voting for the nominees takes place. From what I can gather, this isn't how it actually happened.

Nope. To save ourselves the trouble, seasonistas voted for as many people/videos as they wanted for each category. These were both "nominations" and "votes." The winners in each category were the ones with the most nominations/votes, whatever word you prefer.

Q2: How were votes actually cast/gathered for the nominees in the various categories?

People PMed me. I had a spreadsheet.

[
3) Timetable.
Your video for EOY I was uploaded about March 2013. No criticism intended by this: I take absolutely your point that it was quite a production number, but March 2014 is still 4 months away.

It wasn't supposed to take that long. But the idea for an EOY occurred to me quite late (I think in December?). After that it was just figuring out categories/the voting system, secretly PMing all the people who participated, waiting for them to make me videos, ripping all those videos, filming my part, editing the entire thing together.

At any rate, I decided letting everyone know I couldn't host in November was preferable to dropping the bomb in March 2014.

Q3. When did voting open and close? Was your video the first official announcement of the results? In other words, what are timings/deadlines involved/aspired to in the voting and announcement of the results?

As I recall, we kept voting as open as long as possible to make up for the fact that we started late. It began and ended when I said it did, because I'm kind of a dictator like that :) And yes, my video was the results announcement.

Happy Thanksgiving, btw :)

No thanksgiving for me, I'm afraid, I'm alone in a foreign country. Trying for some kind of Thanksgiving would feel like a parody, so I just keep myself busy and don't think about it. Going home for Christmas though, whoo!

Last edited:
Top Bottom