Difference in different brands of fluorocarbon strings.

Chordpoems

Reaction score
Is there a substantial difference, or are we talking about tiny degrees of variation?

Tried Worth strings (clear) on my tenor uke and found the lower strings to be flubby and lifeless. I'm sure they sound great on some instruments, but mine was definitely not a match. I'm a big fan of the Aquila Red series, but they seem to be kind of delicate, and more prone to breakage. If there's a great-sounding alternative that's a bit more durable and stays in tune better, I'm all ears.

What do you think? Should I investigate other brands of fluorocarbons, or titaniums, perhaps? Or should I just stick with the Aquila Reds (which I love the sound of, but again, wish they were more durable)? Is there a bright, snappy nylon set worth considering?

BTW, I am only interested in low-G sets.

There are very noticeable differences in sound and feel between different brands of fluorocarbon strings. For example Ko'olau mahana would be very different from worth clears, or from Martin M620s, etc.

As you said each instrument would match a certain brand of strings better. Maybe you'd even find Worth Clear light to be the one you like best, better than worth clear mediums (or hard for that matter, don't know which one you got). Best to experiment with all of them!

I'm not a fan of Worths at all. However, I do like Martin fluorocarbons a lot - I'm using them on both my mahogany soprano and my low G koa concert right now. They stay in tune really well and have a nice tension to them (I actually use tenor strings on my concert uke for the extra tension).

As for low G though, I've absolutely hated every low G fluorocarbon string I've tried. I prefer wound strings; right now I'm using a LaBella flat would ukulele string, but I also really like Savarez high-tension guitar D strings for low G (but beware, they do squeak!). I've also been pretty happy with the Fremont Soloist polished low G string.

The thing I've found with low G is that "sets" generally don't work for me. I didn't like any of the fluorocarbons and I haven't cared for the wound low Gs such as the ones from Aquila; I really prefer guitar strings or the aforementioned single uke-specific low G strings.

Yes.

For the $5-10 per set I'd suggest you try higher tension FC sets from Savarez or Fremont black . I like Oasis strings a lot too.

Then you'll know for sure.

The compound, hardness brighter-softness warmer
The guage thin or thick affects the tone and playability comfort
The Tension, high or low higher tension, cleaner, clearer, crisper tone...low tension warmer tone easier comfort and playability
Re entrent or Low G affect the tone and your style and preference
wound G or/ and C string or all plain, your preference of feel and tone
all affects what your tone will be ....Try then all
oh yes your build too...light or heavy build uke and your tone.. are factors on what strings you like and preference...and affects your comfort and playability too
I am for Oasis too...

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts and responses.

I'm all for trying out different stuff and experimenting with different sounds. My hesitation is that different brands within the industry are notorious for buying from the same supplier and sticking different brand names on the same product. It's common with guitar strings (especially classical guitar trebles). So while I enjoy trying new products, I'd like to try to avoid re-purchasing the same stuff in different packaging. If I go to the trouble of trying something new, I want to actually know that it's something new.

I don't assume that all brands follow this practice. I'm sure there's some good stuff out there.

You're right: there are a lot of string brands but a very small amount of string winding companies. However, know that for many things like this, the "private label" strings may be made by Brand A, but will be to the specs of Brand B, so there will be differences still.

You really want to find out what the string is made out of; as in, is it a 100% fluorocarbon or a fluorocarbon/nylon mix? That's going to have a HUGE effect on the feel and tone of the strings, over where they were made. But you're probably right; there are probably a number of fluoro strings out there that are basically the same thing, in different packaging.

Best combo I've found so far for LowG is Living Water first thru third and a Fremont Soloist LowG fourth string. Let me know if you find you are liking something better than that.

The previous posters seem to have a great deal of knowledge and experience. I don't. That said, I suggest you try Ken Middleton's LIVING WATER low G set. Never heard of anyone being disappointed in them. Usually all rave reviews.

I recently tried a set of Oasis Low G and am very pleased with the sound and the feel. The break in period was very quick as well.

Mitch

If you snuck into my house and swapped all the fluorocarbon strings on my ukes with another brand I doubt I'd notice. I'd also club you in the skull with a shovel.

Worth clears were my number one choice, but I am now hooked on Living water from Ken Middleton I just love the feel and the sound they produce,
but really it is a personal thing.

If you snuck into my house and swapped all the fluorocarbon strings on my ukes with another brand I doubt I'd notice. I'd also club you in the skull with a shovel.

Haha, well, I were the type to sneak into peoples' houses, I would bring my own shovel. Or a gun. But this is a ukulele forum. Where does all this tough-talk get us?

The previous posters seem to have a great deal of knowledge and experience. I don't. That said, I suggest you try Ken Middleton's LIVING WATER low G set. Never heard of anyone being disappointed in them. Usually all rave reviews.

I love LW low D on my baritone, but am not fan of the LW low G on my tenor. The tenor high g LW is pretty sweet.

Top Bottom