FS: Captain Backpacker - rare "travel" ukulele $400.00

Gmoney

Reaction score
FS: $300 - Captain Backpacker - rare "travel" ukulele

PRICE REDUCED TO $300!!! Shipping included in the USA.

I'm selling this rare Captain Backpacker concert scale ukulele from Bevan Galbraith crafted with local woods from beautiful New Zealand.

Bevan relates the history of this little model in his posting here:

http://captainukuleles.co.nz/backpacker.html

WP_20131123_013.jpgWP_20131123_014.jpgWP_20131123_015.jpgWP_20131123_016.jpg

Includes the "zither" tuning key & the handmade softcase constructed for Bevan from another NZ artist. Mine is in "as new" condition as I've hardly played it since I purchased it from another UU member some months ago. The sound is great & when plugged in, the little uke really rocks out!

The woods used by Bevan for this one are:

Top: Matai; Back: Rewarewa; Sides: Purin; Neck: Tawa; Fretboard & bridge: Puriri

Sale price: $300.00 w/free CONUS shipping Paypal accepted!

Last edited:
Wow yours looks really nice...I still have mine and love it with my honeytone.. with the new style bag, it looks way newer than mine...wow wow

Wow yours looks really nice...I still have mine and love it with my honeytone.. with the new style bag, it looks way newer than mine...wow wow

I think it was one of the last ones that Bevan built. Plays great - my guitar-rocking son had a blast w/it when he visited last.

An unsolicited recommendation: I have one and like it one hundred and seventy times more than the Risa stick I used to travel with. If you fly often and play uke, I cannot recommend these things enough. Don't be spooked by the key tuners, they remain true quite obstinantly and are easy to manage when they don't. The electronics on these are splendid, particularly if you are piping it through a mobile unit (like a laptop).

An unsolicited recommendation: I have one and like it one hundred and seventy times more than the Risa stick I used to travel with. If you fly often and play uke, I cannot recommend these things enough. Don't be spooked by the key tuners, they remain true quite obstinantly and are easy to manage when they don't. The electronics on these are splendid, particularly if you are piping it through a mobile unit (like a laptop).

Thanks, billypete, you are spot on with those thoughts. I didn't want to compare mine to a Risa or the "Peanut" that are much cheaper as I've never played those, but the tuning is spot on & the sound from this little monster is amazing! (My son played mine through my Fishman Loudbox & rocked it like his strat.)

Looks like we might have a new home for this little beauty. Will update when the deal is done... H'mmm... wonder what is next from the signature line? I may be throwing a couple more up here...

Looks like we might have a new home for this little beauty. Will update when the deal is done... H'mmm... wonder what is next from the signature line? I may be throwing a couple more up here...

H'mmm... potential buyer PM'd me & then no reply to my reply.

STILL AVAILABLE!

The key that you use to tune it is the same as the key you use to tighten drums, you can get one at almost any music shop that sells drum accessories for less than $20.
Mine cost AU$200 delivered and I think they were NZ$350 or US$287 when they were last sold by the maker, so I am watching this sale to see if I have an appreciating asset.

Bevan made SI more of these this past summer as he mentioned in another UU thread. He apparently still has a few left as listed here @ $320 NZD (converts to $264 USD):

http://www.captainukuleles.co.nz/UU.html

SO I've reduced my asking & SHIPPED price to $300 USD paid via PayPal (the perceived "extra" is to absorb the PayPal fees). If no one buys at this price. I'll just keep it!

Mahalo & Mele Kalikamaka!

After owning one and using it on my travels for a year or so, I think it is good value at that price, when you consider shipping.

Thanks for the vote - much appreciated. C'mon people, make me an offer I can't refuse?!

Did you ever sell your captain Uke?

Top Bottom