Banjo Ukulele Pot Size

TLE

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Would it be odd to have a 10" pot on a Concert Open back Banjo Uke. I have a choice from my builder to go 8" or 10". I kind of want the 10 unless it not advised to.

Thanks for your help.

Terry

Well, hate to say it, but you're already odd for wanting to play a banjo uke :p

Here's someone who enthusiastically endorses a big 10":

http://ukuleleguide.com/banjo-ukes.html

Hi Folks,

Would it be odd to have a 10" pot on a Concert Open back Banjo Uke. I have a choice from my builder to go 8" or 10". I kind of want the 10 unless it not advised to.

Thanks for your help.

Terry

It depends a lot on the tone you want. A larger pot size will give you a bigger vibrating area and, all other things being equal, more emphasis on bass. You are essentially creating a short-necked tenor banjo. For me, that sort of nasal, cutting tone of the banjo uke is distinct, and I think you'd get less of that with a larger pot. On the other hand, if you prefer the rounder tone of a tenor banjo, but want to play a ukulele scale, it might be just the ticket.

Due to my wrists, I just can't play a long fret board. It's much more comfortable fretting closer to my body. I play Soprano and Concert Ukes. Even prefer shorter scale lengths on my Mountain Dulcimers. Given that, will an 8" be more appropriate? I know it normal, but thought the 10" would be unique and have a nice sound. I'm a beginner, and really appreciate help from the forums. If it weren't for my wrist, I would just get a 4 string tenor banjo.

Thanks

It's neither right nor wrong, just a matter of preference. I think especially given that you would prefer a tenor were it not for the longer scale length, you may find you prefer the tone from a larger pot.

I inquired about having a banjo uke neck put on a full-size 11" banjo pot at GoldTone. No problems from their standpoint. Not sure about the concert size neck, but I do prefer it. I have a concert size banjo uke with an 8" head and full resonator. I had a calfskin head put on at Goldtone and that alone made it sound more "banjo like." I'd choose the 10" over the 8" myself.

My banjo uke has a full size closed back banjo pot with a concert neck. It looks a little odd, IMO but it has great tone. As RichM said above, more like a short neck tenor banjo. I've had a number of very positive comments on the tone and it's certainly loud.

You can get an idea of appearance and tone here: http://youtu.be/oPWvYOk8JzE - as far as is possible with You Tube.

(I really needed to sing up more on that video)
Edit to add that having had a quick look round, my banjo uke - which is Chinese made, is clearly a Goldtone copy. However it's a good quality well made instrument with a high quality finish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom