Sympathetic vibrations?

JonThysell

Reaction score
I was playing my kala baritone last night and ended up trying to track down some annoying buzz while playing a new song. I have LW low-d all fluorocarbon strings, and it looks like when I pick that low-d 4th, the 3rd string also vibrates.

As I was just picking the 4th string, I wasn't paying as close attention to my fingers on the 3rd string (just touching the string, ready for the next transition), and so the 3rd string was buzzing on the fret even though I wasn't playing it.

Anyone ever hit something like this before? Is there something I can do? (other than keep my fingers clear of strings, even if I'm not actively playing them)

I inadvertently touch strings and cause buzz all the time. I just try to be careful and keep my fingers away as best as I can.

Last edited:
could it be just plain resonance? E.g. playing a fretted G on 4th string should also make the unfretted 3rd vibrate, simply because of the same frequency.

the string is probably buzzing on the next fret. Check it isn't higher then its neighbours. Your fret board should have a bit of relief (bend) in it to compensate for the elliptical vibration of the strings. Also, Is your action on the low side?? should be about .090" (a bit under 2.5mm) from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string

At least you dont have a buzzing loose brace, or worse still and buzzing loose truss rod...... :)

Heh, heh, I can play our drummer's snare with my bass...

Same principal at work - if there is something nearby that resonates at a particular frequency it's going to vibrate when stimulated by that frequency.

John

t looks like when I pick that low-d 4th, the 3rd string also vibrates.

Sympathetic vibration tells me my:
strings are in tune
intonation is correct
my uke 'rings'

Still, it shouldn't buzz, as others have said.

Is there something I can do? (other than keep my fingers clear of strings, even if I'm not actively playing them)

yeah, keep fingers clear of other strings or use fingers as a mute.

Top Bottom