Got my Lanikai

Hobgoblin Steve

Reaction score
So I got my Lanikai today in the mail, (its still a secret because Ive got a one in one out rule) I got lucky because nobody but me was home when it came. At the moment its hiding in my baritone uke case that never gets opened because my baritone is on my brothers guitar rack.

For the brief few minutes that I played, it was absolutely awesome, better than the one in Mannys music in NYC. (CK-teq if anyone didn't know yet)

The color is a real yellow curly koa, I know its just a thin layer of koa on top of (probably) mahogany, but It sounds so damn good. It looks real nice and Ill take some pics tm if I can take it out of the case while nobody's home.

So I played a few things on it, I played a bit of Red and Silky, a bit of some other song from the cd that I cant remember the title of, and some other random chords that I like (F-Am-Dm-A followed by a Gm-Dm bridge [I may be mistaken the Gm with some other chord, I think its Gm though], but yknow, some others) but I cant stress enough, its awesome. The sound is so...smooth. It came with Aquillas to my surprise, and I think those are going to be the best strings it will sound with, although I may try J71's next to compare.

Again this brings me back to my concert (thats still available on the marketplace), it needs to get sold. So if anyone wants to help me play this new beauty as much as I want, help me get the Concert out of the house. As stated, Id like 75, but Im negotiable, and Id take a tenor case trade straight up. (more info on the marketplace)

I promise, this is the last one Ill buy.

^ yeah, sure.

I've got the same ukulele strung with D'Addario strings and in my opinion it sounds great .. but I never tried aquila so I can't compare - but I'm sure that you would not be dissapointed if you decide to try D'Addario.

mine came with Aquilla, and Im pretty sure thats what they use as their stock sting on the CK series.

new_uke.jpg

There is a tradtion at Harmony Central's Acoustic Guitar forum. When someone gets a new guitar and posts, they get goats... pictures of goats with guitars or goats wishing them a happy "new guitar day", hence... a pint-sized goat pic dreaming of a ukulele... Happy New Uke Day, or as Stack said Hnud.

Last edited:
mine came with Aquilla, and Im pretty sure thats what they use as their stock sting on the CK series.

I think Lanikai use GHS strings as their stock strings (or they used to). Most Lanikai tenor ukes I have seen in internet shops (and CK including CK-TEQ also) was strung with them. It is better for you if you have Aquilla - GHS strings are the worst ukulele strings I have used. When I changed them to D'Addario I found how nice sustain and sound I can get from this istrument.
I have to try Aquilla one day and compare.

well, Ive got a sony cybershot camera, and because it uses those stupid micro usb cables, (and since ive misplaced mine) I cant upload anything yet.

Ill take pics and post them as soon my my new cable comes in/find mine/take my lazy ass around the corner to my friend who has a cable.

new_uke.jpg

There is a tradtion at Harmony Central's Acoustic Guitar forum. When someone gets a new guitar and posts, they get goats... pictures of goats with guitars or goats wishing them a happy "new guitar day", hence... a pint-sized goat pic dreaming of a ukulele... Happy New Uke Day, or as Stack said Hnud.

I have to fess up that I was one of the instigators (or maybe popularizer is better) of that caprine tradition.

HappyGoat.jpg

Top Bottom