String for Collings Tenor

Kabog

Reaction score
What is a good string for UT-1 Collings? I have Southcoast but I want to change to a different brand. Any suggestion please. thanks

I have Savarez on mine, and I think it sounds great. I might try some Oasis when the time comes for a new set.

Living Waters from Ken Middleton sounded great on mine.
X2 I put them on and they were WAY more articulate sounding than the Aquilas.

Very different sounding and not as loud/powerful as the aquilas, but much greater clarity.

Last edited:
When I had a UT-1 Collings I felt the Southcoast sets gave the best sound.

Ph.D., Savarez, Living Waters will all work well tension wise. Not sure what you mean by "good". If you are talking about "good" sound, then that's up to your ears. You'll get a million opinions on what is good and bad but only your ears will tell you what is "good" for you.

As for not being thuddy sounding on the C string (where I hear this on many ukes) those strings play on the C with a bit more sustain than other strings (notice I did not say good or better). If you want the best sustain then you should try a wound on the C string (which you may have had with the Southcoasts depending on what set you bought). Some do not like the sound when you move your fingers across a wound string, but they have new highly polished ones that that are supposed to remove most of that sound you hear that some people refer to as "squeek".

If you are a low G person, then I would definitely suggest you try the Fremont Soloist low G squeekless and polished gold wound string. It's really fantastic for being noise free and balanced so it's not booming like some other low G unwound strings. I use that with my uke sets. Some of my ukes have a wound C but most just have the wound G Soloist and unwound C, E and A strings.

Do a google search site: ukuleleunderground/forum strings and you'll see tons of posts on strings which might help you as well.

Good luck, it's a lot of buy and try fun if you really want to find something that rings to your liking.

Cheers!

Top Bottom