help!! 6 string uke

Sbaciggu

Reaction score
i wonder if you can just use the 6 string uke as a 4 string uke..so in other words,,im planning not to attached the doubled strings,,is that possible?? or there will be any problems with playability,tension,bridge,etc etc

i hope experts can answer me..im just a new player,.i think just a couple of months of playing..:)

thanks!

i wonder if you can just use the 6 string uke as a 4 string uke..so in other words,,im planning not to attached the doubled strings,,is that possible?? or there will be any problems with playability,tension,bridge,etc etc

i hope experts can answer me..im just a new player,.i think just a couple of months of playing..:)

thanks!

You could... But the spacing of the strings will be weird

Yes, but it would probably take a while with the off set spacing of the strings. If you are a new player you would really be better off with a 4 string instrument to learn the fingering positions and not get frustrated. Also you may like a neck width that is narrower than a 6 string as the necks are wider than a typical 4 string Tenor uke (assuming 6 string you are talking Tenor). Also depending on what strings are in what slots will make a difference and you really would be better off getting an inexpensive 4 string to learn on that trying to turn a 6 string into a 4 string.

If you have not played different ukes, see if you can get your hands on a 1 3/8 nut width vs. a 1 1/2 inch or wider nut width. You might find one more comfortable than the other and easier to play. Finding a uke you like it 100% personal preference no matter what anyone else tells you. If you have no experience with ukulele, getting to a store that has them and try them out. Most music shops carry the lower end ukes but finding a store to set it up for you, ensure no buzzing, string height is not too high, and someone who backs the product they sell is very important. I would stay away from places like Guitar Center or other mass retailers (Best Buy) unless you have someone you can take and really check out the instrument. There are some good online uke places you can look that ensure the instruments are set up and play well.

Then string your 6 string as a 6 string and you can learn to play it down the road. They sound great as strummers and if you get experienced at finger style and learn how to play one that way, you end up with an extremely versatile instrument.

I'd stick with a 4 string as a new player, but that's just me.
Best of luck to you.

tnx for the reply guys,,..heres my vintage 6 string uke ...by the way i hve another question..are you familiar with this kind of tuners..i dont know how to use the big screw under the tuning pegs..for what is this screw?..im thinking to sell it or trade it to a 4 string uke, if ever i manage to sell it,..ill probably buy an asac-t,..by the way hope you guys can help me a out about the tuners..
2rhv0g6.jpg

qz1zk8.jpg

Last edited:
This is a very valuable Kamaka 6 string ukulele. I can't put a $ value on it for you but its worth something. Much more than a Kala.

Anthony

Yeah ..im not pretty sure bout the value its kinda relic..haha...well here in our country its very hard to sell a uke..not too many people love to play ukes here in philippins..even me, i just recently discover the beauty of ukulele playing...

I have played an 8 string as a 6 [to see if I would like a 6] and a 4. YES, THE SPACING IS A LITTLE OFF , but nothing you can't adjust to. My advice is to keep it, that is a very nice uke that many would love to own. I'd take the doubled strings off and give it a go. you have nothing to lose. You might hate yourself down the road for selling it.

the screws are for adjusting the tuners. if they are slipping , just tighten them a hair. or if too tight , loosen. just a tiny bit.

Last edited:
I have played an 8 string as a 6 [to see if I would like a 6] and a 4. YES, THE SPACING IS A LITTLE OFF , but nothing you can't adjust to. My advice is to keep it, that is a very nice uke that many would love to own. I'd take the doubled strings off and give it a go. you have nothing to lose. You might hate yourself down the road for selling it.

the screws are for adjusting the tuners. if they are slipping , just tighten them a hair. or if too tight , loosen. just a tiny bit.

tnx sir..,,now i know what the screws are for..haha..i thought its like a violin fine tuner...thank you very much

Yes the string spacing just would not be right...get a four string it is way more fun....this is mostly for group playing and rhythm..
Although not quite that rare, and it was sold cheaper way back then....early eighty it is now valued in that condition about at least ...... and what someone would pay for it....

Maybe you guys want to trade..im GASsing for asac-t.. :) .,,or should i say UASsing..

That is a lovely 6-String Kamaka - I would hang on to it! As your skill progresses you will surely want to explore different sounds. I personally love the sound of the six-string, and the six string was invented by Kamaka so you have a good one there.

That is a lovely 6-String Kamaka - I would hang on to it! As your skill progresses you will surely want to explore different sounds. I personally love the sound of the six-string, and the six string was invented by Kamaka so you have a good one there.

Tnx..heres is a sample..me having a hard time strumming and changing chords..lol
Pardon..playing six string is harder than i thought

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HJDiv8dRePM

Tnx..heres is a sample..me having a hard time strumming and changing chords..lol
Pardon..playing six string is harder than i thought

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HJDiv8dRePM

Your playing the Kamaka 6 string just fine and it sounds great. Its a MUCH better instrument than a Kala so I would hang on to it.

I wouldn't trade it for a Kala as its worth much more. I'm hesitant to give you a value because I'm just not expert enough however my ball park figure is that it would have to be worth $1000 US at least. Probably more.

Anthony

That is a fine instrument, and it sounds good in your hands! Please promise me that you will keep it.

thats another problem..i dunno, whats a "good sounding uke" sounds like..i thought that when a uke is starting to sound like a parlor guitar tone,will be a great tone for a uke..( i think because of my guitar background)...but someone slammed it to my face and said..ukes are not guitR..it has a different tone..its like mNdoliny with a bell like sound to it....

Kamaka's have alway's had a deeper, darker tone than other ukulele's. Kamaka is the oldest factory brand ukulele from Hawaii. Its a fine example of a Hawaiian ukulele and a valuable instrument. Maybe its in need of some new strings. That may brighten it up a little but don't be too concerned as it sounds great as it is.

Anthony

Kamaka's have alway's had a deeper, darker tone than other ukulele's. Kamaka is the oldest factory brand ukulele from Hawaii. Its a fine example of a Hawaiian ukulele and a valuable instrument. Maybe its in need of some new strings. That may brighten it up a little but don't be too concerned as it sounds great as it is.

Anthony

Tnx anthony! By the way..i saw your vids..thats sick! Hope ill be as good as you...by the way..saw the kamaka story at youtube..and at 13:16..someone using the very same kamaka that i have

Tnx anthony! By the way..i saw your vids..thats sick! Hope ill be as good as you...by the way..saw the kamaka story at youtube..and at 13:16..someone using the very same kamaka that i have

Thank you very much. As you have probably noticed my ukulele's aren't making a chiming sound either as I detune them. I'm playing guitar style as well. Just make the best of the instrument.

Anthony

Hi guys..what i did with my kamaka...i remove the wound string..now she sounds like a regular uke..and i really like the tone..and playabality now is great..im having a hard time plucking with the 6 string..but with this set up its more like a regular uke( i guess a lil fuller strumming sound because of the doubled c string)...i hope there will be no problems regarding tension or something with the nut...this is how she sings now..
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aob1deJ0pFA

i just got kala KA-6 and a KA-8 string,both are beautiful to look at and fun to play,in response to your question....i keep snapping the high C string and so i play as a 5 & 7 string respectfully.they play but no where near the true sounding glory that they were ment to do....in other words use the 6 as a six string,and just buy a four string!!!!

Top Bottom