Strap Button Question

Shastastan

Reaction score
I'm using leather mandolin straps on my concert and tenor ukes. The straps make a leather loop at the top and attach to a button on the bottom. I've seen ukes with a 2nd button on the back bottom of the neck. I have never tried one configured that way. I'm wondering if it would be better to have one though since it would seem to give more freedom moving the top of the neck?? Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

Stan

When I was on the Big Island earlier this month (I say that not to brag but to try to recapture a bit of the joy I had there in the midst of today's dreary post-fall and pre-winter weather in our parts), I asked Chuck to put strap buttons on my tenor Moore Bettah. He put two on, one at the bottom and the other on the underside of the neck (quick, Chuck--is that the terminology???). It placement is just perfect for a strap (would you expect anything other from Chuck?) and, when I get around to playing way up the neck (ha!), it's not gonna be a bother at all. So that's where I'd put mine…

[Side note: Do you think the poor guitar in the picture in the above link *really* had to get five buttons bored into it to illustrate the article? Poor thing….perhaps they just Photoshopped 'em in]

one at the bottom and the other on the underside of the neck (quick, Chuck--is that the terminology???).

That location is called " the underside of the neck ". :) I find that any other placement tends to make the instrument lean forward.
(Tonya, get back to Hawaii. Blue skies and in the 80s!)

When I was on the Big Island earlier this month (I say that not to brag but to try to recapture a bit of the joy I had there in the midst of today's dreary post-fall and pre-winter weather in our parts), I asked Chuck to put strap buttons on my tenor Moore Bettah. He put two on, one at the bottom and the other on the underside of the neck (quick, Chuck--is that the terminology???). It placement is just perfect for a strap (would you expect anything other from Chuck?) and, when I get around to playing way up the neck (ha!), it's not gonna be a bother at all. So that's where I'd put mine…

[Side note: Do you think the poor guitar in the picture in the above link *really* had to get five buttons bored into it to illustrate the article? Poor thing….perhaps they just Photoshopped 'em in]

Could you post a photo of the strap button on your ukulele's neck? Mahalos!

Here's a related question... would installing a peg in the end of a baritone instead of a screw-in button be overkill?

I've asked around at a couple of local shops, and all they stock are those steel buttons. I don't like them; they just don't look "right" on an acoustic instrument - not to me, anyway. I saw some (fake) tortoise shell buttons and pegs somewhere that I think would go great with the tortoise shell trim on my new Baritone Kala. I lost track of exactly where, but I'm sure I could find them again.

I found tying the strap to the neck just got in the way. The strap button works way better.

My Mya-Moe came with a turned ebony button... just the thing for my custom uke. Maybe you could get a woodworker to make a custom wood button that could be screwed in.

By the way... check the balance of your uke before you choose to do a heel/ neck button. A top heavy uke will drop the head/ neck if there is too much weight on top, and not enough friction on the strap. It can be very frustrating. Also, I have seen some ukes with that kind of neck heel button, and they tend to barrel roll every time you lean over, which is really, really frustrating. Have it done by somebody that knows what they're doing in this area. A strap going to the headstock will steady the neck, and if you string it between the tuners, it is less likely to get in the way of your fretting hand.

–Lori

Top Bottom