Considering a Compass Rose

oahugrl

Reaction score
I am looking online at a Compass Rose and have a question for any owners about the neck. I know it is 13/8 at the nut but can anyone tell me if Rick Turner makes a chunky neck. I prefer something slim.

Thanks in advance for your input and Happy Thanksgiving all!

I am looking online at a Compass Rose and have a question for any owners about the neck. I know it is 13/8 at the nut but can anyone tell me if Rick Turner makes a chunky neck. I prefer something slim.

If you're ordering a custom you can pretty much have it any way you want it, but you're probably wanting the "C" shape versus the "D" shape. Give him a call. I LOVE mine!

Last edited:
Yes, it is chunkier than a normal uke. I asked him to slim my neck like his personal player on my custom. The build on a CR is different than other ukes. Mine is very comfortable to play, and I love the tone.

I have a CR Nano Jumbo and have tried the Micro Jumbo. The necks don't seem to be the same on both models. My Sycamore which I just learnt is a concert 14 fret has more of a D neck. While the figured Cherry/Spruce a Micro Jumbo has like a C shaped neck. Everyone has their own idea of chunky so it would be difficult to answer your question. But if you're asking if one perhaps feel thicker than the other then definitely the D shaped neck feels thicker. Does it hamper playing or comfort, that's also debatable. As for me I can go either ways.. Hope that helps. And again this is just my thoughts and interpretation. Best to call Rick and discuss your options. No doubt you will love it no matter which way you go.

Last edited:

I just measured my Compass Rose tenor and it measures ~ 7/8ths thick at the nut, which I think is one of the "chunkier" uke necks made. I find it easier to play because I don't have to close or bend my hand around the neck as much as with my slimmer neck ukes.

Top Bottom