PDA

View Full Version : Clip on pick-up?

Ukester Brown
11-27-2013, 03:54 PM
I read most (OK I'm lazy) of the thread on amplification. I read about the "sticky bugs" , but I'm wondering about these clip on pickups I see for sale. There are several companies such as Cherub. Some clip on/near the sound hole and it looks like some clip on the headstock like a tuner. I mostly play a soprano and when I solo a single mic will pick up my vocals and uke just fine, but if I play in a group it's lost. Has anyone used one of these? I don't need one very often, but would like one for those few occasions. Thanks for the input.

sukie
11-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Three more posts, David, and you will be a senior member!

Interesting question.

pootsie
11-27-2013, 05:34 PM
I have one of the cherub clip pickups. It might fit in the soundhole of some other instrument, but not a soprano uke. It hits the strings and there is no way to get it there

On the headstock, it seems to pick up too much noise and not enough of what you want. I use mine with the spring disabled and sticky stuff (bluetack) to hold it on by the bridge.

For how cheap it is, I say get one and experiment. I think I paid less than ten bucks for it. No loss if it does not work out

spongeuke
11-27-2013, 08:06 PM
I have used an Audio Technica PRO 70 lavalier mic with no clips. a couple of rubber bands hold the mic at my wrist. This puts it just over the sound hole of a concert or soprano. I have several vintage ukuleles that I wouldn't install a pickup in them. Seems to work just fine with not a lot of string or handling noise and isn't as harsh as a lot of built in pickups. There are many options for this set up and I guess you get what you pay for.

Ukester Brown
11-29-2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the good suggestions- everyone.

anthonyg
11-29-2013, 11:55 PM
The concept of the clip on pickups is interesting but they are just made to a good enough quality to work properly. I had one of those cheap clip on pickup bugs and the only worthwhile job I had for it was to plug it into a tuner. It was too noisy, too percussive and too fragile.

If someone developed the concept and made a quality product then it may have some value but as they are they lack quality.

Anthony

Kayak Jim
11-30-2013, 01:58 AM
I have used an Audio Technica PRO 70 lavalier mic with no clips. a couple of rubber bands hold the mic at my wrist.

Interesting. You mean the mic is held to the uke with rubber bands (around the body somehow?) or held to your wrist with rubber bands?

kkmm
12-05-2013, 05:22 AM
Two days ago, I just install one of these sticky bugs in my tenor ukulele.
This job includes drilling a hole for the 1/4" jack on the lower side.
The whole thing took me 15 mins and voila, I can plug my ukulele in my amp (with bass/mid/trebble buttons to setup the right mix).
With some reverb, it sounds great.
It is not the best pickup but it does the job just fine. I also remember avoiding tapping or touching the top sound board as this noise will be amplified as well.

Five Ways
12-05-2013, 09:12 AM
I now have the misi ukulele trio fitted in my main three tenors, but before I installed them I used the Schaller oyster pickup the one that sticks on externally
with blue tack type putty, results were very good for the cost.

anthonyg
12-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Just so there is no confusion. The stick on pickup bugs are MUCH better than the CLIP on pickup bugs. We were talking about CLIP on bugs in this thread.

Anthony

bluesuke
12-07-2013, 08:51 AM
I have used this type http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7481&gclid=CP76sfbwnrsCFQVafgodoEgANQ They are easily installed and work well

M.Badger
12-08-2013, 03:25 AM
I tried one of those spring loaded clip-on bug thingummys. It fouled the strings on my sopranos, -just- fitted my concerts. It was absolutely ruddy awful. Tried it on the headstock. Sounded worse, but less annoyingly percussive.
I'm cobbling a stompbox up, and it shines in that role. I'm still playing around, but the clip-on mounted onto an additional 'spur' within the box gives a nice(ish) sound. I'm using an old Telecaster control plate to give me volume, tone and switching to a mic capabilities. Other than that, I've found nothing good to say about them.
I tried it on my six string acoustic too. Just as scratchy and percussive. Note, this is a spring loaded, soundhole mount cheapie. I may as well have just dismantled a piezo buzzer and glued that to the box for the pickup.