Has anyone else indadvertedly done this to their Uke?

UkeyDave

Reaction score
I've now had my Martin S-1 for only 3 months and look what I've done to it just playing it. I think its where my nail catches the body when I'm strumming. Do others cause damage whilst playing their Uke? I guess I cant be the only one and at least it shows its getting plenty of use. I wonder how long before I wear a hole in it?
UkeWear.jpg

Never. But then I cut my nails right off, down to the quick, so they don't protrude or catch on anything.

I have some nail brush marks on a few instruments, but nothing like this Dave. At least you did it actually playing it. It must be the percussionist in you.
"You gotta beat 'em up!" Young African drummer leading a workshop I attended some years ago and let me tell you, he beat 'em up!

Never. But then I cut my nails right off, down to the quick, so they don't protrude or catch on anything.

Yes it IS my nail but my nail is short. Unless I actually pulled my finger nail out (something I'm not overly keen to do) then I can't see a way around this. lol

I have some nail brush marks on a few instruments, but nothing like this Dave. At least you did it actually playing it. It must be the percussionist in you.
"You gotta beat 'em up!" Young African drummer leading a workshop I attended some years ago and let me tell you, he beat 'em up!
Yes Ray you may have a point and I must admit I like the sound of your young African drummer workshop teacher. That made me laugh out loud. He has a point. :)

Yes, I have done this although not to such an extreme. I now try to play a little further up the neck, particularly when strumming.

Seems extreme to me. I think I'd be working on adjusting my technique and putting some cling film (cell phone screen protector) over that area in the meantime.

I seem to be really good on not leaving marks on my ukes, so far anyway. It's kind of a double edged sword though, you want to play them right, that's what it's meant for. But then I also look at them in a kind of artistic way as well, I want to try and keep them looking great.

I have always loved wooden, stringed instruments (violin,guitar,mando etc.) and have said I would buy them to just hang on a wall and admire them, as an art piece.

It shows that you have played and enjoyed it! Just think of it as the "Willie Nelson" effect! I dig it! Do not be discouraged, play the heck out of it!

It's great, they're like battle scars! I did notice some strumming scratches on the lower side of my sound hole but I'm not sure if it was caused by me or other inexperienced people who wanted to try out my uke. I do play pretty extremely (One song = Jake's version of 'Crazy G') so a few of the marks are probably mine atleast.

I don't get the scratches, but on my satin finish I get this blotch in the same spot as yours that looks/feels like gloss finish.

UkeyDave,

You can buy that clear plastic pick guard stuff or just realize that in the future, when you are no longer on this plane of existence somebody else will inherit / buy that uke and realize that the former custodian of the instrument actually played it often instead of stuffing it in a closet after fiddling with it for a week.

you are going to end up with it looking like willie nelsons guitar!

You are not alone. Look what Mike DaSilva made for James Hill.
http://www.ukemaker.com/images/UkeGallery/171-TMCustom.jpg

If you had one of those durable finishes like the UV one on the Kanile'a, it might take more punishment. I think your idea of a protective film is good. Once you break the finished surface, it seems like it will be more likely to chip away what is exposed.

Maybe you need a cutaway style.

–Lori

Not to be a jerk, but look at the guitar Willie Nelson has played pretty much all of his life. He has actually worn through the wood and has a large hole where a pick guard should be. Playing is what you bought it for. Enjoy it by playing it, not worrying about a few scratches on it.

Not sure the Kanile'as are any more resistant to scratches. I do keep my nails a bit long for finger picking, but my Kanile'a tenor has a few marks on the face of it from some particularly enthusiastic strumming...

I have six ukes that I rotate through, so that helps, and they're all cutaways, so seeing the photo Lori posted, I realized I would never have that problem. Seems to me a cutaway serves two fold, to reach the higher frets, and avoid wear.

Ever see those guys with shiny guitars and ukuleles that look like they're right out of the shop? Those guys are lame and play with no soul.

Now, now grahamdh, no need to denigrate anyone here, if they want to keep their ukes pristine, that's up to them, they could play with soul as well as keep their ukes polished.

Last edited:
Top Bottom