Squeezing the Barre

focsle

Reaction score
The time came this week to start learning the D, D7, and Bb. Couldn't be avoided, got tired of the Key of C. After three practices, my fretting thumb turned purple from the broken blood vessels! Guess I was squeezing a little too hard!!

Still having fun!

I came across a tip that helped me, it was in a video by Gerald Ross. Basically, he advised to use the bottom two sections (not the first two or finger tip) to Barre. The idea is you get much better leverage, so you don't have to squeeze so hard. As I said, it worked and it made a big difference for me.

being new myself, take what I say with a grain of salt.

I barre by using only fingers because my thumb is very uncomfortable when trying to wrap it around the neck. Therefore, I always have my thumb underneath the neck in a classical guitar style. To apply more pressure I do squeeze harder with the thumb, but I think of my left hand as a lever and move my elbow forward to increase the pressure applied. Works for me anyways. YMMV.

what ohmless said: don't try to strangle your uke, keep the thumb behind the neck.

And this:
I would like to thank whoever it was that posted in an earlier thread (i can't find it) the tip to tilt the neck upward when playing barre chords so that the wrist doesn't need to bend. Thats what did the trick.

Plus some more general advice: uke strings usually don't need that much pressure. Press just hard enough to make the tone ring clearly, do not try to push the strings into the fretboard. You'll be surprised how much effort and pain you could save...

Last edited:
Be sure that you are actually pressing down on the strings. I have found a lot of people that have problems with bar chords because the strings are hitting on the finger joints that are not fully depressed.

And give your barre finger a slight roll up the neck (toward the sound hole) to gain a little pressure.

I found that when I began learning barre chords, a strap was a very important piece of kit allowing more freedom around the fret board hence no need to press to hard on the neck.

If it takes a lot of pressure to play chords, your action may be too high....

Thanks for "tips".

Thumb is better. I played around with a lot of the suggestions and it has helped. For the D and D7 getting the finger between the knuckles just right on the strings, the slight roll, lifting the neck, all worked well. Already had the strap, and yes to that. Only getting a buzz about 1 in 5. No chord switching yet, just on and off the fret board. The I,IV,V7 in C took almost 6 weeks so I didn't have to peek, well maybe a quick one, me thinks the next keys will be more challenging.

Thanks for "tips".

Thumb is better. I played around with a lot of the suggestions and it has helped. For the D and D7 getting the finger between the knuckles just right on the strings, the slight roll, lifting the neck, all worked well. Already had the strap, and yes to that. Only getting a buzz about 1 in 5. No chord switching yet, just on and off the fret board. The I,IV,V7 in C took almost 6 weeks so I didn't have to peek, well maybe a quick one, me thinks the next keys will be more challenging.

Once you can barr with ease, you can play in any key, you just move the chords you already know up or down the fretboard.

Let me take another angle here...make sure you get a set up and a low action comfortable for you, tip 2) I suggest to beginning ukers to use light guage thin fleurocarbon strings....
the give you a better playability and comfort until you build your finger strength and dexterity.....worth lights and Oasis are double sets, PHD, living waters are good suggestings
they may have a brghter tone, but comfort is foremost for a beginner I believe...good luck and happy strummings..

Hammer, I don't see how one could get the necessary angle to barre chords like D, or E with that method.

If your uke is well set up it shouldn't really require much pressure at all to barre. Make sure you get your wrist around in a position where you aren't "fighting yourself" - I think of moving to a barre chord as "dropping into the barre" because my hand moves down and in a little. It's only an inch or so but it lines the hand up more perpendicular to the neck.

So, if barre chords remain difficult get your uke setup checked by a knowledgeable player and adjusted if necessary.

John

I suggest to beginning ukers to use light gauge thin fluorocarbon strings....
the give you a better playability and comfort until you build your finger strength and dexterity.....worth lights

I switched to Worth BLs and it did make a difference. They are low-tension, too. Now the trouble is seeing the strings because my Martin's fretboard is dark and the strings are brown (and thin). Can't play without my Costco reader glasses. I still peek at my fretting fingers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom