tuning problem

Lumpy Wafflesquirt

Reaction score
I have a tanglewood TU 6.
once the strings settled down it has kept in tune quite well, but I have noticed recently an issue with the C string.
If i tune it to C with an open string, when I put my finger on the 1st fret it is very sharp, almost a semi tone so it plays D instead of C#.
Is there anything I can do about this.
I am new to stringed instruments so will need a non-techy explanation.
The other strings seem to be OK.

If I tune it so the first fret is in tune, obviously the open string is out. :^(

TIA

There are people on UU who are better able to give you a definitive answer, but here's my stab in the dark:

The nut slot on the C probably isn't deep enough, or it's too narrow for the gauge of string, making the string sit too high in the slot.

I'm kinda sorta with TBK on this, but have you tried changing the string? If you've changed the strings before, they may be a slightly larger size than the factory used, which would cause the exact issue that TBK pointed out. If you've never changed the strings, I would guess that the string is just outlived it's usefulness. Some players change strings regularly because even the best strings just go bad over time...

Unfortunately that's the good news. I've been doing a little reading on your ukulele. My admittedly minimal research suggests that the strings they put on at the factory are pretty awful. But, TBK could still be right on about that nut. About 20% of the reviews I read were somewhat less than complimentary about the company's standard of craftsmanship. If the issue is the nut, as TBK suggested, you'll probably need to change the string to fix the problem, so you might as well change them all.

If I were you, I'd take the uke to a music store to buy strings and ask the sales dude (or dudette) to have a look at the ukulele. From what I've been reading about your ukulele, there's a reasonable possibility that something is not right with it besides the strings.

my ukulele sounds like depressing or something i tuned it wit a tuner but it is being wierd PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

hey,
Sorry to bother you but i'm having some problems. i got a Kala soprano ukulele the other day and i try to tune it with a tuner but now it sounds kind of depressing instead of cheery like how i expected. any suggestions.

Back to the OP's query. As big K says, it sounds like the slot in the nut isn't big enough. It's not difficult to put right. As these are inexpensive ukes, you can do it yourself. You need a very fine file. I use a triangular needle file. File the slot down very gently, checking the tuning frequently. It's a bit of a pain as you have to loosen the string, file a bit, tune it up again, check the first two or three frets and repeat. You have to be careful no to overdo it or you will get the string buzzing. I've successfully treated three of my ukes this way. I used to do model railways so I have a selection of needle files but you should be able to get one from a decent hobby shop - or on line these days.

With a more expensive uke, I'd find a luthier to do a set up for me.

I have 'filed' the nut slot with a piece of sand paper to lower the action but it doesn't seem to have made much difference.
The strings are the originals but i have only had it nearly 3 months now.
Sometimes it sounds worse than others so I think I may have to live with it. Eventually I might splash out and buy a better instrument, but for now I think will have to do as I can't afford anything else. Maybe new strings will help.

Aloha Lumpy,
I had a feeling it was not that...is that the original strings...you may need set it up with compensation at the saddle or nut....take it to a luthier..
BUT, try a different set for strings first.... without seeing it, it may be hard to go on what you say....

Aloha Lumpy,
I had a feeling it was not that...is that the original strings...you may need set it up with compensation at the saddle or nut....take it to a luthier..
BUT, try a different set for strings first.... without seeing it, it may be hard to go on what you say....

That reminded me. My first uke, a real cheapo, had intonation problems with the C string. Changing the strings cured the problem - more or less. A badly aligned nut meant more major surgery would have been necessary so I bought a better uke & gave the cheap one to a charity shop.

If you still have the original strings, changing them is worthwhile. Strings are not expensive and the improvement in tone alone makes them worth the money.

@Lumpy - this is a very common problem on inexpensive ukes and is the result of nut slots not being cut deep enough and/or being too narrow. It is most noticeable on the C string because that is the thickest string and most inexpensive ukes use molded nuts where the slots are the same width all the way across.

@uke beginner - make sure you are not tuning the strings backwards. Assuming that you are left handed and play the uke with the neck in your left hand then the G string is the one closest to your chin and the A string is the one closest to the floor. G-C-E-A

John

Can you suggest what I should look for when buying strings? Are they sold singley or as a set and is it as straight forward as I would assume to fit the new ones?

Can you suggest what I should look for when buying strings? Are they sold singley or as a set and is it as straight forward as I would assume to fit the new ones?

Just look for ukulele strings for the scale-length you have. Since you seem to be having problems with the C string being thick for the slot I would recommend fluorocarbon strings (Worth is one brand) as they are generally narrower than nylon strings.

John

Just look for ukulele strings for the scale-length you have. Since you seem to be having problems with the C string being thick for the slot I would recommend fluorocarbon strings (Worth is one brand) as they are generally narrower than nylon strings.

John

Sorry to be thick, but what is the 'scale length' and how do I know what mine is?

Sorry to be thick, but what is the 'scale length' and how do I know what mine is?

What the Big K said. :) Soprano is about 13", Concert about 15", tenor about 17" and baritone usually around 20" +/- an inch.

So, if you have a concert look for strings that are for concert ukes or for soprano/concert ukes. How they are sold will depend on the company. Martin M600 strings are for soprano and concert ukes - these are the strings you will most often find in music stores that don't specialize in ukes. Aquila sells different sets for soprano and concert, as do Ko'Olau and many other brands. Worth sells strings by gage sets rather than for specific scales. I.e. their CM set could be used on anything from a soprano to a tenor, though they are a bit light for the tenor. BTW, worth are expensive but they also are long enough to get two sets from one.

Don't be afraid to experiment. Strings are relatively cheap and can make a huge difference in how your uke sounds and feels.

John

I have 'filed' the nut slot with a piece of sand paper to lower the action but it doesn't seem to have made much difference.
The strings are the originals but i have only had it nearly 3 months now.
Sometimes it sounds worse than others so I think I may have to live with it. Eventually I might splash out and buy a better instrument, but for now I think will have to do as I can't afford anything else. Maybe new strings will help.

I find sandpaper doesn't have enough bite. A fine file is much more effective.

What knot should I have tied in the end of the new strings?
I tried two thumb knots, a figure of 8 knot, and a thumb knot with a couple of extra twists.

After several goes on the A string I have had to revert to the old one as the knot pulled through the slot in the bridge but that was after I had fitted it and cut the ends off so there was not enough string to be able to retie it and refit it.
Learning point for next time, leave it for several days before cutting off the end of the string :^(

Top Bottom