Aquila 2.0 Red Series single G and more

mimmo

Reaction score
Caldogno, Northen Italy (50 Km far from Venice)
Hello,
we just finished out the first batch of the reds low G single strings.
I done an investigation about the complaints we received back us:
0.1% about of the customers about had a broken string. In some cases it was caused by a wrong installation, in other cases it was done by bad, weack red strings. the statistic seems to be ok but I was still unhappy!

Starting from december Aquila will introduce the 2.0 version of the low G reds that is stronger than the 1.0version. You can recognize which is the 2.0 version: in the back of the envelope there is a small white label with the packaging' s date
Ciao
Mimmo Italy

Ps: are you ready for the Supernylgut? new product, new performances; stay tuned till... mid January! :)

Hello,
we just finished out the first batch of the reds low G single strings.
I done an investigation about the complaints we received back us:
0.1% about of the customers about had a broken string. In some cases it was caused by a wrong installation, in other cases it was done by bad, weack red strings. the statistic seems to be ok but I was still unhappy!

Starting from december Aquila will introduce the 2.0 version of the low G reds that is stronger than the 1.0version. You can recognize which is the 2.0 version: in the back of the envelope there is a small white label with the packaging' s date
Ciao
Mimmo Italy

Ps: are you ready for the Supernylgut? new product, new performances; stay tuned till... mid January! :)

put the red series high g concert strings on my les paul uke and it really brought it to life. no problems with breakage after 4 months i love them!

This is great news, I loved the strings, but suffered breakages.
Most folks I spoke with had no issues with soprano & concerts, but it was the tenor folks that were having breaking issues.
I am guessing it was because of the higher tension on the tenor scale.
I will definitely try the new 2.0 version.

This is great news, I loved the strings, but suffered breakages.
Most folks I spoke with had no issues with soprano & concerts, but it was the tenor folks that were having breaking issues.
I am guessing it was because of the higher tension on the tenor scale.
I will definitely try the new 2.0 version.

nice. I plan to get an acoustic baritone and acoustic tenor i most likely
will be using only these strings for all my ukes as i love the feel and even sound of them.
their great! i like them better than the nylgut strings actually.

Can you tell us more about the Supernylgut strings, Mimmo? Please?

Loved the ones you sent out to all of us last a year to try. These should be great also.

Thanks Mimmo. It is super to have one of the string manufacturers on UU. I have the Aquila Red on my concert Compass Rose, and they really brought it alive. I'll be looking for the 2.0's. And I am curious about the super nylgut. I have a couple of uke with regular nylgut on them.

Hoe do I find the new Red 2.0's? I look at the various string sites and I don't see a reference to the new strings. I want to try them but I don't want to order them and then find I get the old style.

I actually bought a set of Super-nylgut by accident on my Guitalele but was pleasantly surprised. It's a string that feels a bit stretchy/elastic and with heaps of tone. Loving it, hope to put in on my ukes too.

Dear Mr. Mimmo,
I tried one set of tenor low g red series on a tenor of mine. They've been on since last October with no problems. I absolutely love the sound, feel and look of these strings. Do you have a dealer in China?

I've tried the reds (old style I assume) on my tenor and baritone and really like them. Just ordered a set for my new selfie Christmas present a Pono pro-classic.

How do I find the new Red 2.0's? I look at the various string sites and I don't see a reference to the new strings. I want to try them but I don't want to order them and then find I get the old style.

They are not rebranded, i.e., they're not labeled "2.0" or "new and improved" or anything like that, so you won't know until you receive them whether you're getting the reformulated Red Series strings. Apparently, the only indicator is the little, white month/year sticker on the string pack; if it's "12/2013" or newer, they're 2.0 strings (according to Mimmo).

I just received (within the past week) a low-G tenor set from Stings & Beyond, and it was labeled "BE 9/2013" so they're 1.0 Reds. I followed the installation instruction to hold the strings above the nut while winding onto the tuning posts, to minimize the risk of damaging a string by dragging too much of it (especially the 1mm-thick G string) through a possibly too-narrow or sharp-edged nut slot. However, only after I'd finished installing and tuning up in an otherwise usual manner did I come to understand the instruction to fold over and twist the tuning end of the strings into a rope-like double thickness bit that'd be in contact with the possibly sharp edge of the hole in the tuning post, so there'd be a less acute angle against that edge on the first winding (another snap-mitigation recommendation by Aquila).

But so far (after three or four days of vigorous playing), no strings have snapped and I'm really, really enjoying the tone, volume and sustain the Red Series strings produce - at least as nicely as the Worth clear fluorocarbons they replaced. (I've found that Worths are prone to fraying, especially the A string.) My only issue with the Reds is that their somewhat rough/gritty texture causes a bit of extraneous noise to resonate as my fingers slide over them during fretting. (But nowhere near as loud as would come from a metal-wound low-G string.) But I'm getting used to that subtle difference versus smooth/slick strings. So long as they don't snap on me, I'll remain a Red Series fan. I think they're the best-sounding strings I've tried on any of my ukes.

Tip for new Red buyers: The individual strings are ID'd by color-coded stickers, but the legend for decoding is hidden under the flap on the bottom-rear of the string package. I opened the package using a different flap and was stumped by the meaning of the colors until I searched for and found an explanation on some uke blog. (I hadn't wanted to trust my eyeballing or attempt at measuring the various gauges).

UPDATE (2/25/14): My Red G string snapped while in the case after about a week. Apparently that 1mm-thick string didn't like its unmodified nut slot, though Worth clear low Gs (.91mm) don't seem to mind it. As a replacement, I just ordered from HMS a single Fremont Soloist low G "squeakless" wound string (.76mm), which I hope pairs well with my surviving Red strings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom